Wanted: Weapons of Fate

used44

Forum Moderator
Staff member
250px-WantedWOP.jpg

This demo was released last week. Anyone have any opinions?

I played each of the three tutorials once each, then put down the game and eventually played the full demo level (about ten minutes of gameplay) a day later. In this short amount of time, I was already sick of the gameplay.

There are basically three gameplay functions. Total.

1. Shoot.
2. Cover.
3. Special move (2 special moves, both involving shooting and covering)

The level played out really linearly (well, you are on an airplane) yet even the tutorials that did showcase more open environments still were a basic exercise in staying outside the perimeter and shooting inward. To do this:
- you can dash from cover to cover (tilt the stick and push A, just like Gears of War). Your character dashes so quickly that there is no chance of getting shot while doing this. Cool looking, but a little too invincible.
- you can "suppress" the enemy which just makes it easier to dash cover, to flank them.
- you can build up Adrenaline by getting kills
-use the Adrenaline to curve bullets (actually pretty cool)
-use the Adrenaline to pop out from cover and go into Tequila Time

And that's it. Over and over and over. Its just a demo so the game may feature more, but any evidence of that was not apparent, not even in the tutorials.

I also wish they would have given you the choice to play on a harder difficulty, because "Pussy" is just a walk in the park. I actually fucked up once and popped on to the wrong side of cover and should have got killed but I only got shot a little bit, then the AI hid, rather than finishing me off. :/

Game comes out next week, I think.

i'm gonna pass on this game for a few reasons.
1: it's a game based on a movie. fail right there
2: overdone game mechanic. bullet time, slow mo, whatever. been done to death
3: it's another run, duck, cover, shoot. thats old now.

the movie was alright for the most part. but in order to watch it you would of had to leave your brain at home.

Actually, for some reason beyond logic, I quite want this game. The movie was nothing like the comic book, so I don't care how the game is in relation to the movie, yet it does continue on the storyline from the end of the film and sports the voice of James McAvoy, an actor I enjoy and a storyline I did not loathe with a fire in my fuzzy loins. So for the sense of completion and getting to go along for the ride that they've spent the extra time making, there's definetely plans to at least beat the game once.
Seriously, you can curve bullets after all and you don't have to look like Eminem while doing so. (Two changes from the comic that I enjoy on a purely man level.) Also getting to supposedly fight assassins that can also curve bullets and slow down time (so, they actually just go real fast, I guess) sounds kind of like fun, and I hope to stab them in the mouth violently soon.

The demo was released last week? The PS3 demo was out 2 weeks ago. :p

I played it and it's OK. I loved the bullet curving technique but normal shooting feels a little akward. The cover system is also really cool but it was kind of annoying to try to just get him to get out of cover instead of jumping to new cover.

I didn't like the demo. I just ran towards and killed everyone with the "cool" knife moves. Chornicles of Riddick demo is where it's at.

The demo was alright, but mediocre at best. All the mechanics they're putting in the game have been put into games since 1999 with the exception of curving bullets, which wasn't as cool as the movie made it out to be. In terms of a purchase? No. I don't think that'll happen. I guess if you like a story-less game inspired by a movie and it looks like it was thrown together at the last minute without any real checking over once it was finished than by the impression the demo leaves this is the game for you.

Affen said:
I didn't like the demo. I just ran towards and killed everyone with the "cool" knife moves. Chornicles of Riddick demo is where it's at.
I hated the Riddick demo. If I tried using the melee attacks, one bar of my life would disappear and I coldn't get it back. I just liked using the drones.

Yokiro said:
Actually, for some reason beyond logic, I quite want this game. The movie was nothing like the comic book, so I don't care how the game is in relation to the movie, yet it does continue on the storyline from the end of the film and sports the voice of James McAvoy, an actor I enjoy and a storyline I did not loathe with a fire in my fuzzy loins.

Actually, James McAvoy does not lend his voice to Wesley. He's played by Jimmi Simpson (the guy who plays weird brother Liam McPoyle on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia which is a cool little treat for any fans of that show (you all should be). He does a good job of imitating McAvoy's accent.

By the way, I never saw the Wanted movie, so I wasn't drawn in by the plot or the characters or anything while I was playing the demo.

I played through demo as well (before RRoD) and I wasn't impressed either, in one part of the demo level you didn't even need to shoot people, all you had to do was shoot the airplane door , cause the explosive decompression and run in stabbing whoever was left (which actually looked cool). The cover system worked almost TOO good, making it far too easy and turning the game into elaborate game of Whack-a-mole, but with guns and moles shooting at you. :roll: Personally, I wouldn't even rent this game

The demo was too short to tell if the game is going to be any good, but it did look rather boring. Just move forward, take cover and shoot the bad guys. Not interested...

napsterxxl said:
making it far too easy and turning the game into elaborate game of Whack-a-mole, but with guns and moles shooting at you.

Ha! That's a very good description of it.

used44 said:
Actually, James McAvoy does not lend his voice to Wesley. He's played by Jimmi Simpson (the guy who plays weird brother Liam McPoyle on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia which is a cool little treat for any fans of that show (you all should be). He does a good job of imitating McAvoy's accent.

Yeah, I thought the voice sounded different but my friend assured me no less than twenty times that it was him doing the voice, so I gave in and gave up on checking anywhere but IMDB, which has the game as number 322 on a list of items if you just search "Wanted" and doesn't have any information inside of it, neither did Wikipedia. Don't trust friends whose only adjective and noun they often seem to know is "badass."

Where'd you find that information so I know to check a similar place next time and not feel like an idiot? Still, I like Jimmi Simpson, who was also in a recent episode of House as a priest (sort of distracting thinking of a McPoyle priest) and the movie Zodiac at the end, so if that's true, then I still win and feel overjoyed.

If you go to the official site, the video that autoplays discusses how they worked with the film's actors, so I thought maybe they did voice work, but whatever. It's still a fairly exciting video if you liked either the comic or the movie because they're making the game a hybrid in a way of both it would seem, so really, don't count the game out instantly because it's based on previous work, wait until it comes out and if the reviews are horrible, then let out your screams of "Fuck you medium adaptations and adoptions, you've failed me again!"

But, yes, if I had only played the demo and didn't care about any of the other stuff, it'd be in my prejudice against probably repetitive game pile, the pile of games that I take time out of my schedule to piss on any time my bladder's full.

Edit: Why the fuck did a giant Gillette Fusion Gamer's razor shave my screen on the way here? I wasn't aware LCD monitors could have stubble.

The Wanted: Weapons of Fate cast info was in the last Game Informer, which I have sitting right in front of me and I read well before playing the demo... but I can't to seem to find a good source anywhere online either.

That would be funny to see a McPoyle priest, haha.

Boringman54 said:
Affen said:
I hated the Riddick demo. If I tried using the melee attacks, one bar of my life would disappear and I coldn't get it back. I just liked using the drones.

I dunno, it was ok. And with sneaking you were able to do 1 hit kills. I'm not buying it, but it were good for a demo.

So this game has nothing to do with the comic then? Because the comic was awesome, if you haven't read it yet then DO IT.Supervillans rule the world, and all the superheros are either dead or crazy.

I guess one of the big things for the comic fans is that Wesley wears the Assassin suit that was in the comic. But I haven't read the comic nor have I seen the movie, so I'm just relaying info.

I heard the comic was shit, by the way.

used44 said:
I guess one of the big things for the comic fans is that Wesley wears the Assassin suit that was in the comic.

For all it does, the suit makes him look like he's a little too much into bondage...

used44 said:
I guess one of the big things for the comic fans is that Wesley wears the Assassin suit that was in the comic. But I haven't read the comic nor have I seen the movie, so I'm just relaying info.

I heard the comic was shit, by the way.

If this game, or the comic is even half as ridiculous as the movie....I'll pass on both. I mean, I'm all for action movies being a little over the top (especially if they are based on a comic book)...but holy shit, I turned it off about ten minutes into the movie because it was so far fetched and stupid.

I haven't seen the movie, but far-fetchedness (score!) isn't necessarily bad in the world of gaming. I'm sure the game's story is going to be an eye-roller, but far-fetched shit like curving bullets is actually a really fun game mechanic.

Too bad that's the only worthwhile part of this demo.

BigZell2020 said:
If this game, or the comic is even half as ridiculous as the movie....I'll pass on both. I mean, I'm all for action movies being a little over the top (especially if they are based on a comic book)...but holy s***, I turned it off about ten minutes into the movie because it was so far fetched and stupid.

The comic is very different but very much "far fetched" because it's about supervillains after they have beaten all the superheroes and used their powers to make people forget that superheroes and villians ever existed (people think they are just comic book stories).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod