If Okami had voices and no loading...

-FCM-

Rookie
Would you have given it an A+? I'm just wondering, because sometimes I see an A game and there's like one negative and it's like "oh man if only they hadn't done that!"

While we're at it, what's the closest you've ever come to giving an A+?

I read the review and was suprised at the A. I'll be honest, i heard no hype for this game before it came out. I think i might have to pick this up, it does look extremely cool.

The Loading... comment is a Catch-22, because without the Loading screens some other aspect of the game would have taken a big hit, probably the graphics and the framerate. So even if they had addressed that problem, they would have created new ones.

What if the framerate and every other thing imaginable thing could be remedied?

Doubtful it would get an A+

Me I think for a game to get an A+ it would have to be a game that would revolutionize our concept of gaming. A game that would breed further gaming within the game.

A simple analogy would be the greatest invention, which in my mind is electricity for it is the invention that gave way to an uncountable amount of other inventions.

So yeah.

-BBK

They don't have high standards, they give games what they deserve. If a game is perfect and flawless I assume that they will give it an A+. I doubt there will ever game that does everything right.

no it seems like they have high standards. I mean other sites like gamespot and such give out 10s and the like to real good games. tony hawk and soul calibur and stuff deserved them so how come the A+ is never used. i mean some games out there deserve an A+ dont ya think?

Sites like Gamespot will give a perfect score to games they think are truely great games they have very little flaws. GR will give a perfect score to a game that is literally perfect. No flaws whatsoever. Even if a game like that comes around, it may not get an A+ if it has been done a million times before. It needs to be a game that reinvents gaming as we know it. Of couse, I'm just going off of what I've seen and heard, but I've been visiting Game Revolution since I started using the internet so I guess I know what I'm talking about.

^Anyone who reads the faq and checks out what the requirements for an A+ will know what they're talking about =p.

i was curious during certain games you just really really enjoy, do you have to stop yourselves from becoming enthralled and looking at it from an neautral standpoint, as in say GTA and Halo, do you find yourselves looking extra hard for a flaw when you're overly enjoying the game?

Mod-Chip said:
A simple analogy would be the greatest invention, which in my mind is electricity for it is the invention that gave way to an uncountable amount of other inventions.

So yeah.

-BBK

Who invented electricity then?

Sam

Things are only perfect in car commercials.

Other sites give A+'s because they're actually in the game promotion business. They sell good news because that's what people want to hear, and it makes publishers happy, too. Even when they don't give games 100s, they give them 79s which they call "Great" and tell you "If you're a fan of football, you'll love this football game" like you even needed to read that.

But if you look back through all of a given site's 100s (the list probably includes GTA, Halo 2 and World of Warcraft), all of those great games have real flaws. GTA had some jacked up missions that were not fun to deal with and pretty mediocre gunplay. Halo 2 had a linear, easy single player campaign, and World of Warcraft has a terrible PvP honor system, as well as an untraceable overarching plot.

These are some of the greatest games ever made, but their problems aren't miniscule, or even subtle. So why give them perfect scores? Why, for these games, do you decide not to be a critic? And if you aren't being a critic, what are you? At best, you're free promotion, a.k.a. a fan, at worst, you're paid promotion, a.k.a. a shill.

Game Revolution will never give an A+ because we will never stop being critics.

Joe_Dodson said:
Things are only perfect in car commercials.

Other sites give A+'s because they're actually in the game promotion business.

I was thinking along these lines when I recently posted the question about GR reviews being used on the back of videogame box art. One of the greatest things about Game Revolution's reviews is that I don't see things like "Enthralling! Captivating! Perfect!" "The best game you will play this year!" and "Best game of the {console/genre/generation)" plastered over every positive review like I see on so many other sites, and on the backs of game boxes.

Oh, also, don't forget laundry detergent commercials.

dUKE said:
no game will ever get an A+ from me until the virtual pantsí¢â€žÂ¢ are perfected.
Totally. They aren't even halfway done with the virtual socks yet! And I heard a rumor that after the virtual socks, they will skip over the virtual pants and begin on the virtual scarf. WTF?!? Who in the hell wears scarves nowadays? Virtual pants are something that everyone can use. Except cavemen. Virtual cavemen.

maca2kx said:
Mod-Chip said:

So yeah.

-BBK

Who invented electricity then?

Sam

Well more like the practical application of electricity but touchíƒÂ© anyhow :)

-BBK

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle