How to finance Rock Band

Hawk_one

Rookie
So, Rock Band's going to be expensive for one game. Sure, it's probably going to be the coolest party game in the history of gaming once you get three or four people, and yes, it certainly could have cost even more, but it's going to be expensive. And let's face it, the straightforward "have several people chip in to share a copy" won't work. And unlike FF: Crystal Chronicles, you won't already have some friends with one instrument each; you must buy the whole package. So, how to deal with this?

Well, I think I have a scheme that will work very well, and I'll make this separate topic because I want this to spread. It's an incredibly simple scheme, but my limited net surfing hasn't spotted it elsewhere. And, here it is, rather anti-climactic:

Buy the game alone, and charge people a small sum every time they visit you to play.

OK, it's a bit more complex, but not much. Now, after spending the 170 bucks on the game, you'll be eager to invite your friends over. And they will be eager to play it without spending all the cash you just did.

So, for each session - which should last a minimum of two hours - you charge one dollar from any participator. Or two. Not more. See, the point is -not- to actually make money, it's just to balance the cost in a fair manner. So, in addition to making the cost small, once someone paid up for, say ten sessions, s/he won't have to pay again. That person has "chipped in" enough, and can now play with you free of charge. But it will still be -your- game, without question.

This way, I believe you should then have a good chance of getting your game costs down to, say 100-120 dollars (which sounds to me like a pretty good deal for what you will get), while still avoiding the trouble that the "split the cost and have shared ownership" will almost inevitably cause.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, feel free to spread it elsewhere. You don't even necessarily have to credit me (I very much doubt I'm actually the first one to think this up, I just know that I did think it up myself), but it would be nice if you did.

And of course, it's not a perfect idea as such. But I do believe it's a better one than four people going together and buy it. What do you say?

My idea was to make meth in your bathtub and sell it to freshmen. You'll make the money back fast, and you'll make some "friends" in the process who are always willing to come over and play.

But your idea is good too.

I'll probably do just that myself, AcidTrip. I have the funds for it, so I won't mind.

But frankly, the cost of Rock Band is big enough to refer to it as an investment, and I think that people would rather like it if they didn't have to spend so much on one single game, whether they are "cheap" or not. Sure, "splitting the cost" is a viable alternative for those who can do that, but I know right now that that option will not always be viable, for a number of reasons.

So, if someone is reluctant to buy RB because of its price, I see no reason not to come with possible suggestions on how to lower the cost (in what I believe is a fair manner for all parties involved), rather than just snorting at that person and making petty "cheap b******" comments.

DH_Ninja: I am actually selling kidneys to finance my copy of RB. Mind you, those aren't my kidneys, though... :D

I understand that, and I apologize if my comment came across as hostile. I just don't see how forcing your friends to cough up cash in any event just to have the honour to play with your copy is a viable alternative and, if I dare, will probably turn them off from it. Like you said, it's not always a viable alternative... and that includes more than just the person who bought it.

I personally wouldn't like one of my friends saying "Hey, come play Rock Band with me, and pay me for the privilege."

That comes across as condescending and money-grubbing. I understand your solution, I just think it'll lead to someone playing by themselves because their friends don't think it's right to pay another friend to play it for a few hours.

Shaft is just saying that because he still owes me 5 bucks from our recent night of Katamari Damacy.

used: you charge 5 bucks per night for a game that cost you 20 dollars? No wonder Shaft is pissed. :D

Seriously, under normal circumstances, I'm not for charging anyone to play games (unless you're running an arcade hall). I think it's nore or less up to each gamer just how unusual these circumstances are. In any case, I should say that before this idea should be implemented, it's important to discuss it with your friends first, and if they are totally against it, find another way.

And of course, if anyone has other ideas, then be sure to come with them. Speaking of which, I've already sold six kidneys this week to finance my copy.

What?

You didn't think I'd sell my own kidneys, did you?

I agree with the notion that forcing your friends to pay to play is lame. I couldn't bring myself to do that to my friends considering we trade games quite often.

Hawk_one said:
used: you charge 5 bucks per night for a game that cost you 20 dollars? No wonder Shaft is pissed. :D

Well, the Prince wasn't the only one rolling balls, if you know what I mean.

used44 said:
Hawk_one said:

Well, the Prince wasn't the only one rolling balls, if you know what I mean.

I guess I owe you like $30 for our night.

In other news, I understand making friends pay for Rock Band. The game is damn expensive, you need your friends to play, so why the hell not? I would be pissed if all my friends free loaded off of my awesome purchase. Or maybe you can make them buy the food every time you guys play. Pizza and soda for a month.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle