GR Competitors

UrbanMasque

Everyone Wears a Mask
A Question to the Gods of GR:

What sites do you guys feel like are your competitors?

Do you guys have any interest in generating video content (not from the angle you think I'm coming from) like more walkthroughs and Tutorials?

League of Legends
Terraria
Warframe
Battlefield 4
Monster Hunter
The Sims

What content (FAQ'S, Articles, reviews, and/or Forums/community) do you feel like is your strongest draw?

Great questions -

I'd have to say that in terms of traffic, we even view Polygon as a competitor, because they're not that much more than us despite millions being thrown at it. In terms of content, I feel like Destructoid and GameRanx are competitors to us. But for the most part, we see all sites as competition—it's just the way of the internet, unfortunately.

Yes, we do have interest in generating more video content. We're always looking for video content, but don't always have the resources for it since they require a good deal of time. If we only had someone more committed to this type of content on a regular basis, we'd produce as much of it as we could afford.

Currently, our cheats draw the lion's share of our traffic, but I'd say our reviews are the biggest draw—they're what GR's known for, which is why we take our review process so seriously. We're hard at work trying to gain more traffic for things like our features and news articles, and less the FAQs/cheats of the past. They're a dying breed anyway, because people would rather watch a walkthrough on Youtube than read through a "cheat" page that doesn't even really provide many cheat codes, since so few games use them anymore.

That's answering you as candidly as I possibly can.

If you plan on doing more video content, I suggest you look at where I do writing for, Blistered Thumbs, which is a subsidiary for CA.

If you do go for it, look at the shows that are successful and why, mostly entertainment value or discussion, community interaction, and so forth.

UghRochester said:
So, am I the only the one that watches GR Wrap up with Jessica and Alisa?
Yes.

Also, GR should team up with Ustream and have a featured GR streamers column. I'd stream like crazy (from my PC, since that's all I know how to do) if that was a thing. Or just do video review diaries. Like, just have a camera on you while you're playing a game, and then splice together 3 minutes of footage from it all. That way, you aren't purposely trying to be entertaining like with the "watch the first 15 minutes" stuff, and it's natural.

It's basically a wrap up of what happened this week from two females with an exception of Ninja Nick Tan, SKYRIM! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5f-EyBg_vM

Oh and that's a great suggestion. However, I don't think Dan would ever want to video record himself simultaneously while playing a game. I do that, because it shows the raw reaction towards something.

UrbanMasque said:
UghRochester said:

link please

Also, the GRind was great.

I'm glad you liked the Grind. It went on to win a bunch of awards. I'm dying to start up another season of it, but it cost a fortune to produce, so we'd need a sponsor on board before we could commit. Definitely looking into producing more of them.

Longo_2_guns said:
UghRochester said:
Yes.

Also, GR should team up with Ustream and have a featured GR streamers column. I'd stream like crazy (from my PC, since that's all I know how to do) if that was a thing. Or just do video review diaries. Like, just have a camera on you while you're playing a game, and then splice together 3 minutes of footage from it all. That way, you aren't purposely trying to be entertaining like with the "watch the first 15 minutes" stuff, and it's natural.

Video is going to be more of a focus in next year's strategy. That said, I like this idea and will explore it.

If it's of any interest to you guys, the only other gaming website I really read regularly is Kotaku. And then whatever ECA links to in their daily newsletter.

UghRochester said:
. I do that, because it shows the raw reaction towards something.

I think that's what people want to see - and hear your mumblings of frustration when you try the same thing 20times and wonder why it doesn't work.

Would it work to allow us to embed Videos from the various sites (original content) inside our blog postings? Would it be too much effort to allow this?

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I was just randomly browsing the GRandmasters segment and noticed a bit of talks about video on GameRevolution.

Personally I'd love to offer my skills to produce video on GameRevolution along with GR Strips but unfortunately as Anthony pointed out earlier, video can potentially take up a lot of time and sadly I don't have the time to try and do video as well, although it'd be great fun. If I had the time I'd love to try and help there. Damn full time work.

I've never heard of GR Wrap Up with Jessica and Alisa but I checked out the link Ugh provided. It wasn't bad. I don't mean to sound rude but I do have some suggestions regarding how to possibly further improve it, should Jessica and Alisa wish to continue GR Wrap Up or start it again.

It may be a bit hypocritical of me to say this since I said before I don't really have the time to create/edit videos but if anyone is interested (particularly the staff of GR) I can maybe try and offer... I dunno, "training" so to speak (perhaps via documentation and e-mail correspondence) in regards to video editing techniques, software, shooting/filming techniques etc. When I say training, it wouldn't be a course or anything... just me trying to help. :p

I agree with Ugh and UrbanMasque, a sort of "let's play" video that has the staff of GR playing a game with a separate in-video showing them actually playing it (and thus showing facial expressions and whatnot) would be great too. I can imagine this would be hilarious if playing say... Dark Souls.

I've tuned in to Nick's ESO streams a few times. They're a lot of fun but could be improved by possibly a more consistent schedule or more advertising. Whatever gets more viewers in the chat, because that's when it's the most entertaining.

Seconded.

They should just do a stream night on, like, Tuesdays. Have it set on the schedule, and whoever wants to stream can do it for a few hours.

I asked Daniel if I was able to use their Twitch stream key to stream some of my games. First and foremost, that would have to be discussed. Secondly, there would have to be a schedule, but I am random.

I would think if you're going to do livestreams etc, you need more than one person. There's nothing more annoying than awkward silence or awkward filler.

UghRochester said:
I asked Daniel if I was able to use their Twitch stream key to stream some of my games. First and foremost, that would have to be discussed. Secondly, there would have to be a schedule, but I am random.

So.. seeing as how everyone except ugh is sooo unwilling to talk about streaming to anywhere other than Twitch - I'd like to talk about a little known feature here on Ustream.

Its called Channel Managers.

Basically, I have one master username, lets call it - GameRev. nested under that account I can make a channel and give specific users (without giving them my login credentials) access to stream to my channel, manage the VODs and auto-recorded streams, schedule events, and edit the page. If you are worried about someone streaming penises you can revoke their access and kill their feed.

additionally, you can program pre-recorded videos to stream live at certain times - as if your scheduling programing into your channel.

Just something to consider.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle