Gamings Golden Age

pres50

Rookie
I believe videogames are rising to that golden age again like the days of snes and even psx and n64. your thoughts?

yea explain what you mean by "golden" i dont see how videogames are any better now then with n64 and stuff, unless you mean like graphics and things like that, but that doesnt make sense either

The golden age of gaming ended a long time ago, when the SNES and Genesis were obsolete. From Sega CD- Now, it has been more of a technological age.

i mean in terms of games being fun and new again, just that good old fashioned feeling of getting excited to play games. up until recently games seemed like they were going down hill imo. game like gears of war, resistance, tony hawk 8 etc are really giving me that feeling again of excitment and just good ol fun.

I can't pinpoint the start and end dates as to when the Golden Age of gaming was, but it peaked in 1998. And if you think it started in 1972 with Pong, then get a clue.

I don't think it started with pong at all, if u read what i said i was referring to the age of genesis, snes,psx and n64...those days were filled with great games for consoles and i think its happening again in my opinion.

GiftedMonkey said:
I can't pinpoint the start and end dates as to when the Golden Age of gaming was, but it peaked in 1998. And if you think it started in 1972 with Pong, then get a clue.
Personally I think it started in 1980 with Intellivision :)P) and went straight up to just prior to the release of the PlayStation.

Well, when people say 'silver ages' and 'golden ages' they're usually referring to a stylistic era, not whether or not the stuff coming out during that time was better or worse than any other time. For instance, comic books from the 'golden age' of comics weren't really that great artistically, or even narratively (they were mostly made for young children), 'golden' just refers to the fact that that was the early days of comic books, and it ends with the introduction of different art styles and comicbook regulations that made more mature stories possible (in the early 70s I think).

In that sense, I'd say the golden age of games started with the original games, pong and whatnot, and ended with the NES. The silver age lasted from the beginning of the 16-bit era till the introduction of the Playstation, when 3D graphics became possible and popular acceptance of videogames as viable adult entertainment began the modern age.

If you're referring to just the fun-ness of the average game, I'd say now is the best time to be a gamer. Old games usually are fun to think back on, but they are for the most part best left to nostalgia.

This the technological age, and nothing more. We are at a junction where the technology is beginning to overcome the artistic and conceptual aspects of the gaming community. It's like World War 1. The technology outweighed the tactics AND the hospital conditions that the world had at the time.

It will become balanced again, but only if we stop focusing on the technological techniques, and more on artistic and creative processes.

"If you're referring to just the fun-ness of the average game, I'd say now is the best time to be a gamer." At $60 a game and $250+ for the consoles?

Good time to be a gamer.

Bad time to be a parent.

With the media and all the congressmen (and a certain congresswoman) rallying against games in general, with all the rehashed and sequels, and with all the intense hype over consoles and technology, I'd say its a pretty bad time to be an experienced gamer. But if you're a little kid, its the best time ever because all the shiny "tearaflopz" and "60 gigaz"

Just as Duke said, everything happening to video games will be exactly what happened to rock n' roll. It was pretty awesome back in the day, until strange things started happening like emo bands and MTV.

its all about the technology now. Plus every game from last generation was ported to the three systems (Gamecube, PS2, Xbox) I can all three companies repeating that pattern.

Gaming may not be in its golden age, but I would agree with this topic on a personal level because I feel that I am in my golden age of gaming. Games have become more fun for me recently. I make money enough to track down and purchase any game I wish to play, play whenever I feel like, and am able to talk openly about games with other gamers. The hobby is growing, and I have grown alongside it.

well I'm in my personal dark age of gaming.... hardly anything holds my attention these days and there's practically nothing new or innovative (aside from Wii which I've yet to play)

but I get instantly bored with any PC game nowadays.... so I guess I have to ask myself why I just spent $600 on new parts <_<

I feel more on the recession of video games as well. It is becoming to much to maintain systems, little time to play the games that are worth playing, and even less time in doing what I love, and that is playing games with friends, both on and offline.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod