What is the most iconic videogame?

JCvgluvr

Rookie
Imagine you've made a new friend. The thing is, he's never heard of videogames before. However, you think he'd like them, so you want to show him the right game. The one game that'll make him really love games forever, just like you. Which single videogame would you show him? Which videogame do you think represents exactly what games are all about? (I'll give my response later, I want to see yours first.)

Keep in mind, he's exactly your age, and thinks like you, except for having no idea about games.

So you're basically saying "what's your favorite game?" in a different context?

Start 'em out with GTA. All my friends who never play videogames are always coming over to play GTA4 till the cows come home.

Then once they're settled in, drop Fallout 3 on 'em. PC version of course.

Maybe if needed, a dose of TF2 or CoD'll get them into a multiplayer experience.

I don't think it would be too tough if they have any interest.

the most "iconic" is clearly mario.

but being iconic has nothing to do with it being a game he'll love more than any other.

if i showed anyone a video game, their FIRST video game, it'd probably be modern warfare.. srsly. very good wow factor. awesome atmosphere.. i don't even play it, i just think it'd be the first one i'd show.. or maybe world of warcraft just because it's like another world on the screen.

keepithowitis said:
So you're basically saying "what's your favorite game?" in a different context?
No, not quite. For example, I would show this guy Super Mario Bros. To me, that represents exactly what games are about. Whenever I think of games, BOOM, that's what pops into my head. It's completely iconic!

It's a relatively simple game, using just 3 buttons and a d-pad. It's pretty easy to understand. There's no way for them to get lost. There is a constant stream of action, so he can't get bored. It has all these sounds and lights (especially when you get a star), so it has this "wow" factor. It has loads of secrets, so that can pull him in. And finally, I know it would probably work, because that's the game that pulled in millions and millions of people to videogames in the first place.

Despite all that, Super Mario Bros. isn't actually my favorite game. So no, this isn't a favorite game thread in disguise.

If he truly has no idea about gaming, then you have to remember how truly complex the game controllers are. They are awful, ask my dad who just recently got into videogames. I would have to say...Mario 64. It'll successfully introduce him to 3D platforming without looking too dated (gotta love cartoony graphics for that).

Gamer 1: ZOMG I Let ME show U HALO1111!!!!one!
Gamer 2: No U! Zelda Teh Best!
Gamer 3: Fck U! KIIIIIILLLLLLLZZZZOOONNNNEEEE!
Me: Tetris!

*Person 1,2 and 3 glares then beat the sh** out of me!*

And there you go, another post that reflects how old i am...

Lien said:
Gamer 1: ZOMG I Let ME show U HALO1111!!!!one!
Gamer 2: No U! Zelda Teh Best!
Gamer 3: Fck U! KIIIIIILLLLLLLZZZZOOONNNNEEEE!
Me: Tetris!

*Person 1,2 and 3 glares then beat the sh** out of me!*

And there you go, another post that reflects how old i am...

Hey, it's ok dude. No worries. i'm old too.

Tell you what else we should show people, fucking Donkey Kong! As in, the very first where Donkey is the bad guy chucking barrels. Fun game!

Don't know really though ... depends what kind of type he'd be.

He likes guns, soldier stuff --> Halo, Doom 3

He likes fantasy stuff, easy and casual --> Super Mario Galaxy

He likes strategy and a good story --> Final Fantasy 10, Supreme Commander, Age of Empires, Command and Conquer etc.

The list is quite endless.

But if he wouldn't know what kind of type he is; I'd go with a Super Mario Game. Easy to pick up, fun to play. :)

Well, what about a game where you can't die? Or a game that doesn't dish out a heavy penalty...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod