Fable II Review GCHD (9/10)

Glad to hear the game doesn't end after the main quest. I played Fable through once and never picked it up again. I was kinda excited when the credits finished rolling and the option to continue was presented, but there wasn't really anything else to do.

Well if I remember correctly about the GR grading system the sequel to a game must surpass or to be more appropriate - it must be better than the first one to recieve a grade of the same score, right?

Not necessarily, but yeah, I believe a sequel (if it doesn't fully reinvent itself) gets docked a few "revolutionary" points just for being a sequel.

OMG Johnny it's a wall o' text (I'm not doing it on purpose, I swear!)

TLDR Version: I approve of Fable 2.

Way too long version:

I'm about 20 hours in, I'm guesstimating I'm maybe 1/3rd of the way into the story at most(especially since I'm doing almost everything I can to avoid doing story quests). I like it. I really really like it.

I was another of those who were pissed about Fable not coming close to delivering on it's promises. But so far this one really delivering. The jobs are fairly fun, real estate is interesting, the game is much deeper than you'd gather at first glance.

That applies to the level design, and combat. I read the phrase "Combat starts really shallow, and then becomes gradually becomes very deep," maybe a billion times, that was also the same number of times I mentally made the dismissive hand job motion. I was also totally wrong, so wrong, I have been humbled. HUMBLED.

The combat is superb, the quests are fun, the extra stuff is fun, and just bullshitting around in town with your family and dog is great. I felt a genuine sense of dread when I got a family prompt with no apparent substance in the middle of a quest. "WTF, did one of them die? Oh shit." I almost dropped out of the quest to return to my house, and then when I saw nothing was wrong. First I felt relief, and then I felt like a sap.

This game is probably the largest improvement from one game to another, excluding those spiritual sequels that come out 8 years later. As far as real sequels go, this has to be the largest improvement, and I liked the first Fable. As of this moment the orphaned child of some bandit I unceremoniously smoked has yet to hunt me down, but still this is clearly a huge step in the right direction.

Dead Space last week. Fable 2 this week. Fallout 3 next week. This may not be the best holiday season ever, but when was the last time 3 GOTY contenders were released in consecutive weeks?

There's a more than likely chance that I need to beat the game, give it a month to be somewhat impartial about it, and that the fact that I'm not even halfway in may lead me to overrate it. But my first impression is that it's awesome. Really awesome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod