Dishonored [OT]

So...what does everyone think.

I must be honest, so far I am fairly impressed, but I have a few issues with the game as it stands, mainly the fact that the powers are fairly broken. The blink ability is so damn necessary in this game it kind of breaks up any semblance of stealth, or balance for that matter.

Haven't tried the other powers too much yet, bought the time slowing one and the see-through walls one, they work pretty well it seems but I can forsee them also being a bit much. As for weapons, I see no need for a pistol other than to be a brute and make noise in combat. Dual wielding weapons is always fun though, so props to that.

There are some things I like about it and some things that really urk me.

Heres a few that could seem petty. You can decide for yourself
1. The world isn't nearly as intractable as it should be. Sure you can loot some stuff but you can't pick up and move boxes, You cant shoot out lights, and you can't really damage or affect the environment other than attaching a trap to a surface.
2. The console port graphics. I get it, its nice they gave us a couple extra shadow options and the better resolution even a fov slider that can go up to 85. The textures are a kind of a watercolor style to give it a fantasy style but after playing borderlands 2 and guild wars 2 and torchlight 2 I'm really tired of it. The artist did a good job really using their skills to make awesome environments but some of the texture look really low res(like the boat). The game only uses 576 mb of video memory.

Things I do like.
1. Mobility. Not only do you get blink but you can get double jump and run speed increase. It makes you feel much more like a assassin moving swiftly and jumping all crazy. Plus you can climb up things like mirrors edge.
2. You can approach the levels the way you want. My first playthrough I've decided to murder anyone enemy that sees me and try to dispose of the body. each way you play the game presents new challenges in making that playstyle work.
3. Pistol and sword combo. You can upgrade weapons which upgrade like bioshock so when you buy the extra shot on your pistol it literally modifies the mechanical part on your gun to look like a invention that could pull it off.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far though I've only played it a couple hours last night. I'm starting off doing a no kill and no powers run and I've got the objectives markers turned off as well so it should be pretty challenging.

I haven't really found anything to complain about too much other than i'm using a 360 controller on the PC (So I can sit on my couch) and sprinting is a little weird.

Also for anyone doing a no kill run don't let anyone fall into water after you choke them out. They'll end up drowning and it counts as a kill against you.

The graphics have been a huge issue, the textures are just not rendering on the PS3 for me at all.

I also am having issues with the whole "choice and consequence" hawking they keep pushing on us. So far I have been trying to not kill anyone if I can help it, including targets. But it seems like that even not killing major targets does little to the story. Maybe it does affect the ending somehow but we shall see.

I'm like... an hour in? Maybe? So far it's cool, but I'm trying to play it without my critical eye so I can get more enjoyment out of the first game I've bought for fun this Fall.

danielrbischoff said:
I'm like... an hour in? Maybe? So far it's cool, but I'm trying to play it without my critical eye so I can get more enjoyment out of the first game I've bought for fun this Fall.

I wish I can do that.

Although I do plan on playing it twice for my own review. One with pure stealth, one with more wanton violence.

And don't let my harsh word discourage anyone from trying it. I'm just not sure if its worth the full $60 or if people should wait for it to go on sale for $40.

I'm also playing with a xbox controller on my pc but I'm not experiencing any odd running issues. Do you mean the head bounce? You can turn it off in the options.

Sourdeez said:
And don't let my harsh word discourage anyone from trying it. I'm just not sure if its worth the full $60 or if people should wait for it to go on sale for $40.

I'm also playing with a xbox controller on my pc but I'm not experiencing any odd running issues. Do you mean the head bounce? You can turn it off in the options.

Nah I just mean you have to click the left stick to run and that seems odd to me. Maybe I don't play enough fps now and that is actually normal? Either way I'm sure it's not that bad and I'm just not used to it yet.

Yeah that's pretty normal. All of the call of duty games use left click to run.

Noted. I'm making my way through slowly. I think at the last minute I may have overhyped myself. Also, this doesn't really feel too much like Deus Ex, though that's been a frequent comparison. I mean, yeah there's loot, and you can fuck with the AI, but... right now it just seems linear.

Like I said, I'm making my way through very slowly.

danielrbischoff said:
Noted. I'm making my way through slowly. I think at the last minute I may have overhyped myself. Also, this doesn't really feel too much like Deus Ex, though that's been a frequent comparison. I mean, yeah there's loot, and you can fuck with the AI, but... right now it just seems linear.

Like I said, I'm making my way through very slowly.

It is linear, the difference is how to approach the problems with a solution you create though powers, abilities, stealth and fighting.

So the levels are linear in goals, but the sandbox is how you finish the said goals, which adds replayability.

Except its only sandbox as far as you moving and setting traps on things. At least in deus ex you could move boxes to make cover. you could pick up a soda machine and throw it at people. Sure you couldn't knock everything over in deus either but you should be able to interact at least some with the environment other than looting things or throwing alcohol bottles against the wall.

Hell in splinter cell you could at least shootout lights.

I give the game a B+ with high hopes for the devs future. And remember to take my review with perspective, I don't normally like these kinds of games because if you fuck up they tend to make you start over. This game does a much better job at letting you own up to the mistakes you made in the level and move on.

I finished Dishonored for PC last week.

The storyline is pretty average and kind of forgettable, to be honest.

Gameplay wise I think it's a lot of fun. I took the "try not to be seen and don't kill anyone route" and it was quite challenging. The powers were pretty fun to use, such as Blink (the teleport) and the time manipulation power. Some things are a bit strange like... not being able to destroy lights in a stealth game. At all. Really?

The graphics had its ups and downs... sometimes the presentation was awesome like the buildings, the water and the ocean etc. Sometimes though the character models didn't really look too crash hot.

I'd rate the game a B+, personally. I may go through it again and just go on a murderous rampage.

Anyone still playing this? I just got a code for the DLC dumped on me and I'm like "OK, guess I'll dig this out of the stack of shame again...."

Haven't played Dishonored since I finished it. I was kinda hoping you could re-do missions with all of your powers, but sadly when you go to mission select, you'll only have your powers that you had at the time.

I'd love to go through the game on a muderous rampage with all of my powers. Maybe I could find cheats to help me do that.

Whaaaaat? That's lame. Did not know that. So you'd have to start a brand new file if you wanted to run through again with fully leveled up powers or basically no matter what you do you'll always have low-level powers in the first mission?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod