Cooking with Matt

MattAY

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I've kinda gotten into cooking recently. I realised the other week that my 3 recipes of pasta, toast and pizza takeaway should probably be enhanced a little!
So I'm aiming to enhance my cooking repitoire! My latest mission is going to be Onion Bhajis. Found a recipe for it, and they look fun to make! and let's face it, everyone loves a bhaji.

Anyone else got any recipes they recommend?

I make Spaghetti and Meatballs for the family all the time and they love it.

Meatballs;

-1 pack lean ground beef
-1 egg
-5-6 cloves of garlic (grated)
-1/4 diced onion
-1/2 cup bread crumbs
-2 tbs water
-salt and pepper to pref. amount

Mix it all with your hands, I roll mine to the default size.

Preheat oven to 350 and cook for 20-25 minutes. I don't know exactly what I do differently than other people, but everyone I serve it to say the meatballs just melt in there mouth. (insert balls joke here). Once the meatballs are done I cover them in tinfoil until everything else is ready, so they soak up some of the juices on the pan.

I haven't gotten around to making my own sauce yet, but I usually pick up 2 different kinds from the same brand. One is always roasted garlic and the other I try to get a chunkier tomato if available. 1 can of tomato paste. Then I add in a big handful of garlic powder (not garlic salt) and some salt and pepper. I like the garlic powder to leave a sting on the tongue when you taste it.

I also do a simple back ribs in the oven;

-Cut ribs to a holdable size (2-3 ribs per section)
-Fill a roaster with the ribs, add some water so the ribs soak it up while cooking. Cover
-Cook 350 for 1hr 30m (check them, if they could use a little more cooking then toss back in for 15m).
-Take them out of oven, place tinfoil on a baking sheet, place ribs on sheet and cover w/ BBQ sauce, back in the oven for another 10m.

It's so easy, all it takes is time but for some friggin reason they taste so good. I usually use a hickory bbq sauce.

Taco Dip (god I love this one)

- 1 block cream cheese
- 1 big ass block of old cheddar cheese (use small grating size)
- 1 head of lettace (cut into a scooping size)
- half a container of sour cream (the middle size.. forget how many ml are in it)
- 2 tbs mayo
- 1 1/2 packs of taco seasoning
- 1 can of salsa
- Doritto's! (regular)

Heat up cream cheese for 20s and soften with a fork. Add sour cream and mayo, use electric beater until smooth. Add taco seasoning, I recommend blending it in with a fork before you use the beater (so it doesn't go flying everywhere). Beat it all until smooth.

I have 2 glass dishes that I spread it into, one is 8"x8" and the other is 12" x 10". The best way to spread it is to shake the dish and directed the mix around. Add a layer of salsa.

Spread Lettace, then cheese.

I recommend letting it sit in the fridge for a little bit if you can wait. Tastes so much better when its chilled!

Hope that makes sense, never written out instructions before.

Well... i know how to cook tofu... But i can share you how to make a porc roast if you want.

Pick your poison!

Make some dashi (Japanese soup stock) and then throw in some udon or soba noodles & any sort of mushroom.

Dashi-

8 square inches of kombu
2.5 quartz water
2 cups bonito flakes (katsuobushi)

Soak the kombu in the water for half an hour. Then heat it to just under a boil for about 10 minutes. Remove the kombu and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat, add bonito, stir, and simmer for 10 minutes. Then strain the liquid.

Dashi lasts a good while in the fridge or freezer. Just add noodles, miso, meat, mushrooms, whatever, and heat it all up.

Also, don't forget about Duke's salmonella chicken:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto ... r-done-933

I'm liking the meatbballs! I actually had meatballs and spaghetti in a chunky tomato sauce tonight. Were just bought from the shop though. I've always wanted to make my own. Same goes for burgers too.

Those noodles sound pretty damn good too Gnome. I may give it a shot.

Matt, I'll have to get my cousins hamburger recipe sometime to share it with you.. instead of bread crumbs she uses crushed up dill pickle chips and adds garlic along with so many other things .. they were friggin amazing!

MattAY said:
I'm liking the meatbballs! I actually had meatballs and spaghetti in a chunky tomato sauce tonight. Were just bought from the shop though. I've always wanted to make my own. Same goes for burgers too.

Those noodles sound pretty damn good too Gnome. I may give it a shot.

Bobby Flay MattAY. Bobby fuckin' Flay.

I'm no piracer but I love to cook and I do so almost every single night. Tonight I'm making oven roasted salmon (a staple dish) with miso asparagus (a new recipe).

Go out and buy some cookbooks. Yes, buy; and yes, books. The Joy of Cooking is the old-fashioned gold standard, it has more than everything you will ever want to know. Also buy a cookbook aimed at what you like to eat and your skill level (ie "Comfort Food For Guys Who Just Moved Out," "Mexican Cooking For Gringos," "1,001 Ramen Recipes"). Are there any cooking programs you watch? Buy a cookbook from your favorite one (Alton Brown? Bobby Flay? Rachel Ray? Morimoto?) Skim the books, look for something you want to put in your mouth. Don't scrimp on quality ingredients. Pick a good looking meal. Make it. Make it again later. Experement with dishes. If there is an ingredient you like, add extra. If there is something you don't like, omit it or exchange it. Watch the Food Network. Keep on cooking.

Congratulations! You are now a master chef! Start impressing girls!

The wife wants the weekend coming up to be casual and full of trying new meals, so we are gonna give brew burgers and french onion soup a shot to start;

BREW BURGERS

Oil to sauté
2½ pounds of ground beef
1 onion, diced
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons thyme, dried (30ml)
1 tablespoon oregano, dried (15ml)
1 egg
1 bottle of stout beer
¼ cup parsley, chopped (60ml)
1 teaspoon of salt (5ml)
1 teaspoon of black pepper (5ml)

In a small saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, thyme and oregano until onions are translucent (about 3 minutes).

In a large bowl, stir together ground beef, onion mixture and egg, blend thoroughly. Slowly stir in stout beer. Add parsley, celery salt and black pepper and mix well.

Preheat grill to 375ºF.

Form meat into 6 patties. Place on grill and cook, turning until well-done throughout (about 8-10 minutes per side).

Yield: 6 servings

Michael Smith's French Onion Soup

* 3 tablespoons butter
* 3 tablespoons oil
* 5 large onions, peeled and sliced thinly
* Splash of water
* Salt

The Soup

* 1/2 cup brandy
* 3 sprigs fresh thyme
* 6 cups Homemade Chicken Broth (recipe from this episode)
* Salt and pepper
* 4 slices slices multi-grain bread, cut into rounds to fit bowls, toasted
* 2 cups Swiss, Gruyere or emmenthal cheese, grated

Directions

1. Toss the butter, oil, onions and water into a large soup pot with a few pinches of salt.
2. Cover with a tight fitting lid and let the onions soften over a medium high heat, about 10 minutes.
3. When the water has evaporated, remove the lid, turn heat to low and begin to slowly caramelize onions, stirring frequently. This will take about one hour.

The Soup

1. When the onions are a deep golden colour and have shrunk dramatically, add the brandy, thyme and broth.
2. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat your oven's broiler. Ladle the soup into 4 onion soup or ovenproof bowls and fit a slice of toast over each bowl.
4. Sprinkle each evenly with the cheese and place bowls onto a baking sheet.
5. Place under the broiler and broil until the soup is bubbling and the tops are golden brown.

------------------

These are straight from 2 shows I watch on Canadian Food Network, License To Grill (dont think this one is in the USA) and Chef at Home, Michael Smith gives me wood with the way he talks about food.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/b322/
^Buy one of those, I have both of them and they helped me whipped up something fun.
There was a recipe I found needed peanut butter, milk, vanilla ice cream, chocolate or peanut butter chips and bananas (optional). Mixing all these together made one hell of a shake. Very sweet, and very tasty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod