California

Sightless

Veteran
I'm being a leech right now, but I'm hoping you'll forgive me. I'm done with school forever after the 14th. It'll be a great party.

I've come to tap into the GR ocean of knowledge. My parents are leaving tonight/tomorrow for LA-ish, and I'm wondering if you guys have anything relevant to throw at me to help them out. Places to go, things to see, things to avoid, how to stay alive, &c. They're driving, and only have about ten days total. I think what would interest them most are places to eat. My dad's kind of into weird things to see too, like The World's superlative noun, or whatever.

I'm not sure if they're actually spending time in LA proper, and how much they are just driving, or driving around. My family isn't superfocused on planning things out. Things just happen. Anyway, I know they're hitting up Ashland on the way down, and SF on the way back up. Otherwise, it seems like their route is pretty well stuck to [the] I-5. Specific places I know they're going to include Burbank and Palos Verdes. And Duarte, apparently (hell if I know anything about these places).

Advice is much appreciated. And I'll tell them to stay far away from Longo.

I lived in northern California up in Chico.

Its probably one of the best places to just chill(It was once voted number 1 party school in the nation by playboy magazine.)

The first robin hood movie was actually filmed in bidwell park which is in chico. Its good to go adventuring, eating, or just getting fucked up. Whole town is good for getting fucked up though.

If they find themselves in San Francisco, the Golden Potsticker in Chinatown is the best Chinese food in California.

If they find themselves in Fresno, tell them to turn the fuck around and go somewhere nice.

Also, are they going to the Shakespeare festival in Ashland? I went last year, and it was fucking great.

My parents are pretty fucked up as it is, but I'll let them know about Robin Hood.

Longo - How good is California chinese food? :p You know, I think my dad just wants to go there because he wants to drive across the bridge. He's like that. My mom doesn't get it. If it were me, I'd want to spend more time there. I keep hearing people say that it's like Vancouver. I also have a friend there who's a yoga instructor and works at Lululemon (I know), and is married to a Google guy.

I was going to say thank god they won't be near Fresno, but I wasn't sure if you were staying at Berkeley, and I'd rather go for a personal insult. As for the Shakespeare festival, I don't think they're interested. My high school did field trips there for the grade 12 Literature class, so both my older brother and I have been. On a side note, I recently opened up a lovely bottle of turquoise ink that I got from there back then, however many years ago. It's awesome. That trip was the first time that I'd been properly away from family for more than a day or so. Good times!

I'm back in Fresno for the summer, but it's not a great city, and everyone who lives here knows it. I still love it though, crystal meth and all.

And California is the closest thing to real Chinese food besides real Chinese food. San Francisco is the home of the round noodle and the fortune cookie. So it's pretty damn good.

I just moved back to Illinois and I cant find any Chinese even of 50% of the quality of Chinese food I got in cali :(

But I do have my hometown pizza back which I couldnt find any good pizza in northern cali(celistinos is good but not great enough)

Did you say Califooooornia?

Outside of LA is the Wheel Inn Restaurant and those famous movie dinos, the Cabazon Dinosaurs.
2hojq7l.jpg

Cheesy? No way. Be the envy of your Facebook friends when you update your timeline with a picture of you standing inside the maw of Mr. Rex, the world's largest concrete T-Rex. Okay, I'm only guessing at him being the world's largest concrete T-Rex but that doesn't matter because your friends will definitely be jealous of you standing in the mouth of any dinosaur. Add a little bit of retro filtering via instagram and your profile pic is golden for the next 3 months!

Jump on I-10 E and it's a straight shot 90 minutes east of LA. Eat at the Wheel Inn Restaurant to savor your Americana glory.

Optimus-Crime said:
Outside of LA is the Wheel Inn Restaurant and those famous movie dinos, the Cabazon Dinosaurs.
2hojq7l.jpg

Dude, that's fucking Novac :shock:

MattAY, you are aware that like half of the locations in New Vegas were based off of real places, right?

19.1.jpg

Longo_2_guns said:
MattAY, you are aware that like half of the locations in New Vegas were based off of real places, right?

19.1.jpg

:shock: :shock:

I really wasnt. But this is great news! Little gimmicks like that are what give games some character - like the producers care.

The Museum of Jurassic Technology, by far the weirdest museum I've been to in my life, and the admission is free.

They're chillin' in Portland now. Maxin', not payin' taxes.

I don't know if they'll be going out far enough to see concrete dinos. Museum of Jurassic Technology sounds awesome. It's not free, though; it's ~by donation~. And oddly, if you're disabled, they only ask $1.50. If you're unemployed, they ask $5.

Dan, that's too much information! Which is funny, because I think going to that map of restaurants screwed up my browser a few times. If I can get it to sizzle, I'll make notes.

Thanks guys. You're great. :)

Mod-Chip said:
The Museum of Jurassic Technology, by far the weirdest museum I've been to in my life, and the admission is free.

Yeah, that's in Culver City, LA. My brother lives there. Lots of fun stuff to do in that area. One place to consider in LA is the Getty Art Museum. Probably one of the best art collections west of Chicago, including several very famous paintings from a large period of time.

The Autry museum of the American West is fantastic as well. It's in Griffith Park. You also can't really go wrong with the observatory there too.

Sourdeez said:
I lived in northern California up in Chico.

Its probably one of the best places to just chill(It was once voted number 1 party school in the nation by playboy magazine.)

..lolwut?..

Come to the Bay Area, we'll get mashed and hook up with chicks we wouldn't even look at while we're sober - GR's buying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle