Books

Affen said:
intoTheRain said:
Physics of the Future: by Michio Kaku (Must Read)

I have seen you and DocMoc mention this book, so I had no choice than go get it. I almost missed my stop when I started reading it in the train. Really interesting so far.

he's an insanely smart man, with the rare ability to make things make sense for the average man. all his books are worth reading. if you really like that one, pick up hyperspace. it's more complicated, but still can be easily grasped. and will blow your mind.

though many of the things you're about to read in physics of the future will blow your mind too. the technology we will have in our homes in even 10-20 years is hard to believe.

i can't wait until doctors are a thing of the past (no offense to anyone who wants to be or is a doctor), and we just have our computers scan us every morning before we go off to work and tell us if we're sick.

cancer will never be cured, but we'll get to the point we can detect it years before we would even see it now. which is what's important.

one thing i have to wonder about is what will happen with jobs when all this technology kicks 90% of the work force out.

It's stuff that Kaku talks about that got me into physics. There are amazing things that are being researched now that could reshape the way we live. Who knows what the world will look like when we're in our seventies.

I must say though, after studying physics, I lost a lot that imagination. You learn that the universe has lots of barriers to overcome before the REALLY cool stuff happens.

Books: if you like science fiction, I would suggest the Foundation series by Asimov. Groundbreaking stuff.

I also hear the Red Mars trilogy is good.

Oh man, I rarely read any books now because I'm at a point where I'm burnt out by them from college. I don't know about you guy but my future children's bedtime book is probably going to be "Supply Chain Management: A Logistics Perspective" because who know how many times that book put me to sleep.

So tell me, guys. Would you all rather have those kindle devices or would you rather have an actual book?

cyberjim2000 said:
So tell me, guys. Would you all rather have those kindle devices or would you rather have an actual book?

I've never used a kindle so I couldn't honestly tell you, they seem nifty though. No dirty feeling pages (unless you've been eating cheetos). But then again, always nice to have something solid. Dog-eared pages, marking certain spots, I'm sure it just isn't the same experience with a tablet.

Follow up question, where do you rest while reading?

I have a hard time getting comfortable anywhere, makes reading difficult. Always thought a recliner would be nice.

MattAY said:
I hardly read books, I'll be honest. But my mate has recommended Tolkien's "The Silmarillion". He was describing it for hours and hours on a drunken night once, and it actually got me quite excited. I've asked for it for Christmas...just wondering if anyone else has read it?

As for other books, I'm a fan of James Patterson and his crime novels...they're my holiday reads. Good old Alex Cross kicking ass all over the place.
I have read all of the LOTR books. Silmarillion is slower and less epic than the three main LOTR books but it is still fantastic. Children of Hurin is also very good.

StickyGreenGamer said:
I'm a fan of Cormac McCarthy. Right now I'm re-reading No Country For Old Men and once I finish that I'll likely take a second shot at finishing Blood Meridian.

I swear, Blood Meridian takes a longer time to read than Stephen King novels or anything over 1,000 pages. Took me weeks to get halfway through.
And finished his No Country For Old Men a while back, Anton is awesome as always.

Because it's hip, A Game of Thrones, where so much goes on in so little pages.

My wife has a kindle and it's pretty gosh darn cool. We have a bunch of physical books too still, of course.

I really like e-Readers. My dad has one that reads aloud when he's driving his car and then he knows exactly where to pick up in his book when he stops somewhere.

I use a cheap Kindle and regular books.

HK-47 said:
StickyGreenGamer said:
I'm a fan of Cormac McCarthy. Right now I'm re-reading No Country For Old Men and once I finish that I'll likely take a second shot at finishing Blood Meridian.

I swear, Blood Meridian takes a longer time to read than Stephen King novels or anything over 1,000 pages. Took me weeks to get halfway through.
And finished his No Country For Old Men a while back, Anton is awesome as always.

I asked for Blood Meridian for Christmas last year, still have yet to finish it cause I needed to start over. Its easy to get lost in that book, and for something not to lengthy it is a complex read. McCarthy's style of writing tends to impede the pace, but I plan on finishing it.

NCFOM is awesome. My English teacher had an essay he wrote about Anton published, so we had to buy that book as well. Great character though, though the story is full of them.

StickyGreenGamer said:
[where do you rest while reading?

In summer, hammock all the way. Some cold drinks beside you. At winter, in bed.

Some religious nutjob gave me From Here to Forever by Ellen White. Way to make the whole coffee table feel awkward. I'm not sure if I should give it a try, but something about it is so inviting.

update: Okay, only few pages in and I can't do it. Too preachy. It could've been interesting too see all the things it promises me, but I don't think I have the interest to continue.

Awesome a book thread! I thought most people didn't read anymore. I'm into alot of generic fantasy and scifi books. Rereading the Shannara series right now.

TheNesMan said:
Silmarillion is slower and less epic than the three main LOTR books but it is still fantastic. Children of Hurin is also very good.

I have tried a few times to push through Silmarillion but to no avail.

What's Hurin about?

So i just finished reading one of the main battle scenes in Inheritance while listening to Guiles Theme.

Huh.

That was pretty much the greatest thing i've ever been through.
Not really sure where to go from here. Do i hunt the most dangerous game of all, Man?

madster111 said:
So i just finished reading one of the main battle scenes in Inheritance while listening to Guiles Theme.

Haha! I'm pretty sure that's one of the best things I've ever heard.

I'm reading Brave New World now. Really good so far. It's an older SciFi book about cloning/gene manipulation.

StickyGreenGamer said:
HK-47 said:
StickyGreenGamer said:

I asked for Blood Meridian for Christmas last year, still have yet to finish it cause I needed to start over. Its easy to get lost in that book, and for something not to lengthy it is a complex read. McCarthy's style of writing tends to impede the pace, but I plan on finishing it.

NCFOM is awesome. My English teacher had an essay he wrote about Anton published, so we had to buy that book as well. Great character though, though the story is full of them.

I'd hate to start it over but I remember the basics of how far I got up to. And damn McCarthy and his lack of quotation marks. Wasn't too bad in NCFOM, two characters talking and after a bit of thinking you know whose who, but for Blood Meridian, kept on thinking the Judge and the leader were one and the same.
I'll finish it down the line, someday.

That is an awesome English teacher right there.

Reading up on how to break down someone's door properly, beat them up, bust into their car, hotwire it, a slick 180 degree turn and then ramming a car aside with finally driving it into the lake, escaping successfully with my loot.

HK-47 said:
I'd hate to start it over but I remember the basics of how far I got up to. And damn McCarthy and his lack of quotation marks. Wasn't too bad in NCFOM, two characters talking and after a bit of thinking you know whose who, but for Blood Meridian, kept on thinking the Judge and the leader were one and the same.
I'll finish it down the line, someday.

I've had the same problem with it. At some points it becomes extremely hard to even tell those two apart, whether it is just conversation or actions. I'm thinking this is one of those books that you need to just finish, then go back and pay it more mind a second time.

Interesting story, just a bit of a chore to actually work through though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod