Books

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUDwalJZWzE

Anybody here read? Or are half of you scrawling TL;DR on the covers?

Just curious what some of you enjoy, suggest, or are currently reading.

I'm a fan of Cormac McCarthy. Right now I'm re-reading No Country For Old Men and once I finish that I'll likely take a second shot at finishing Blood Meridian.

Can't beat a thick Tom Clancy novel. Clear and Present Danger and Rainbow Six being two of my favorites.

Also, Chuck Palahniuk, who wrote Fight Club, though I seem to have misplaced my copy at the moment. Anthony Burgess as well, because A Clockwork Orange is a much better book than movie.

Yes.History books, a lot of them. Some get real depressing, especially when they're on Chernobyl.

To turn off my brain I read Warhammer 40K books. blood for the blood gods!

As for modern fiction I don't really go for any of it. The last popular book i read was the Da Vinci code 5 years back.

Other than that I stick to Dune, Roadside Picnic/ Tale of the Trokia and political books.

I've got a few books based on history. Blackhawk Down, We Were Soldiers Once...and Young, and one that is just a collection of accounts of Special Forces soldiers in Vietnam.

WWSO is by far the weakest of the group, as it amounts to little more than reciting times and events with no real narrative.

I tried reading Dune once, couldn't get through it though. Think I was a bit too young at the time, but I'll have to try it again soon.

I also used to love the Dragonlance series when I was a teenager, read a shitload of those. I reread the first two from the War of Souls trilogy a couple months back, but by the time I got to the third one I was starting to lose interest.

I hardly read books, I'll be honest. But my mate has recommended Tolkien's "The Silmarillion". He was describing it for hours and hours on a drunken night once, and it actually got me quite excited. I've asked for it for Christmas...just wondering if anyone else has read it?

As for other books, I'm a fan of James Patterson and his crime novels...they're my holiday reads. Good old Alex Cross kicking ass all over the place.

lenin-stalin-hitler.jpg

About halfway through it right now and I'm really enjoying it. Started reading it for no reason other than it looked really interesting and haven't been disappointed.

As for normal books - if you will - I have a Kindle for those (which is awesome) and have most recently read The Big Short which is about how a handful of people actually made money on the housing bubble collapse.....Talking like millions of dollars.

David McCullough is one of the few history writers that I can get through in a week.

Just finishing up the 13th book in the Wheel of Time series. I've spent ~3 years reading these books and once I finish this one, it'll be a year until the closing book is released.

In the middle of Greg Bear's Eon... fantastic so far.

Also picked up Ready Player One and will read that as soon as I'm done.

I've also got Fahrenheit 451 somewhere and I need to crack that open.

MattAY said:
I hardly read books, I'll be honest. But my mate has recommended Tolkien's "The Silmarillion". He was describing it for hours and hours on a drunken night once, and it actually got me quite excited. I've asked for it for Christmas...just wondering if anyone else has read it?

I have read it. And it's cool, but prepare yourself. It is like reading the Old Testament of Tolkien.

If you're looking for fast-paced fantasy I would recommend starting the Wheel of Time series. It's super deep and the first three are fantastic. It's fantasy on a grand scale. If you're looking for something easy to read I would recommend Brandon Sanderson's Mystborn trilogy (1st book, Mystborn The Final Empire). It's fast-paced, funny and an easy read.

Actually the fourth book which is set well after the original trilogy is coming out on Monday and I might go to a book signing with the author!

De-Ting said:
You know what fiction book I'm reading? The Book of Mormon.

Yeah. It's the tops.

Fixed.

Sorry, but, yeah. Science. Don't worry, all other major religious texts are too, no historical basis in any of them.

Still working my way through A Game of Thrones. Almost done with it. Just haven't had time to read much, no thanks to the hell college has become in these few weeks before thanksgiving.

Wheel of Time series, I read the first 6 or 7 then stopped going to book stores and didn't read any more, but they are good books and worth a read if you are into fantasy.

I'm tracking down some Jules Verne books, but every where I go they don't have any. Typical.

Last book I read was Da Vinci Code few weeks ago. Damn it feels bad to be so late from the party.

Last 5 Books I've Read:

Roald Dahl: The Best Of (Must Read)
Physics of the Future: by Michio Kaku (Must Read)
UFO's: by Leslie Kean (Must Read, you WILL believe something is visiting our planet after you read it, Michio Kaku actually recommended it, which is why I picked it up)
The Divine Comedy: by Dante, clearly
Hyper Space: by Michio Kaku

next on my list is,

The Norse Myths: by Kevin Crossley

as you can see there really isn't a pattern to what I read.. I just kinda go with the flow. I love Roald Dahl so picked up a book of his adult short stories. Then my bosses son recommended Michio Kaku so I read Hyperspace. That lead me to Physics of the Future, that lead me to UFO's because he recommended it. Then I picked up bargain bin Dante's Inferno and wanted to read the real story, so picked up the Divine Comedy. Then I watched Thor, so decided to read a book about Norse Mythology.

intoTheRain said:
Last 5 Books I've Read:
Then I picked up bargain bin Dante's Inferno and wanted to read the real story, so picked up the Divine Comedy. Then I watched Thor, so decided to read a book about Norse Mythology.

That is how I tend to work with movies. I see one, I see its based on a novel, that is where I head.

With the exception of Palahniuk and McCarthy, which were assigned reading in my English 102 class and just turned into interest from there.

Clive Barker was another author I found that way. Loved Hellraiser. That led me to Books of Blood which is a fantastic collection of his short stories. Still on the lookout for a copy of The Hellbound Heart which was the source material for Hellraiser.

I mainly read popular science books, stopped reading fiction like i did when i was much younger and at school etc. trying to get through all richard dawkins books, the smaller more scientific based ones rather then his newer "i hate god" books. Any books by christopher hitchens also make for an interesting read.

I did read the communist manifesto the other day, was surprisingly short, but interesting all the same.

Bretimus_v2 said:
MattAY said:

I have read it. And it's cool, but prepare yourself. It is like reading the Old Testament of Tolkien.

If you're looking for fast-paced fantasy I would recommend starting the Wheel of Time series. It's super deep and the first three are fantastic. It's fantasy on a grand scale. If you're looking for something easy to read I would recommend Brandon Sanderson's Mystborn trilogy (1st book, Mystborn The Final Empire). It's fast-paced, funny and an easy read.

Actually the fourth book which is set well after the original trilogy is coming out on Monday and I might go to a book signing with the author!

Intruiging! Thanks for the info. If it doesnt work out, I'm going back to Garfield I guess.

intoTheRain said:
Physics of the Future: by Michio Kaku (Must Read)

I have seen you and DocMoc mention this book, so I had no choice than go get it. I almost missed my stop when I started reading it in the train. Really interesting so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod