Bioshock - The movie.

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by Lethean, May 9, 2008.

?

Are you looking forward to this?

1. Yay!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nay!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bioshock was gay! Therefore, nay!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bioshock was gay, but maybe yay!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lethean

Lethean Rookie

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/05/gore-verbinski.html

Director: Gore Verbinski. You know, the guy who directed such awesome films as the Pirates of The Caribbean series, The Ring and a few other noteworthy movies is set to direct. Thank God it isn't Uwe Boll.

Screenwriter: John Logan, writer of such screenplays as "The Aviator", "The Last Samurai", "Star Trek Nemesis", "Gladiator" and more recently the Johnny Depp musical, "Sweeny Todd".

Who else is looking forward to this?

2. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Nay! I dunno the reason that every popular piece of media needs to be followed by "The Movie!" Bioshock stands up well enough as an awesome piece of entertainment on its own.

3. NickKmet

NickKmet Regular

Thank God, Thank God, Thank God, Thank God.

I was expecting you to say Uwe Boll.

Thank God.

4. NICK93

NICK93 Rookie

im sure it will a awsome movie

5. Miscarriage

Miscarriage Rookie

While the decision is an interesting one and I truly do favor the idea of expressing this game and it's story to a wider audience, I feel as though this takes away from the sheer feeling of exactly that: feeling. A movie could certainly be great (or terrible) but it lacks that sense of being, or rather, that sense of embodiment; taking form of the character and moving to your own will, creating logic that fills in the gaps for a game itself.

Oh well, it may not be interactive and if it's anything like Doom (remember the 1st person segment...) it'll probably go straight to hell, but it has potential...I just hope it doesn't have any hollywood twist attached to it or some odd romance that comes out of no where...

6. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

uh....No.

7. JCD

JCD Rookie

It's stupid and in no way is this needed. I don't care if they got Spielberg to direct, the movie will not be able to live up to the game, nor even do it justice. Hopefully this will go the way of the Halo movie and just die. Painfully.

8. vinkrukken

vinkrukken Rookie

Could work. Maybe they could show what happend before the games timeline, and it could end with the plane crashing or something like that.

9. ohsostupid

ohsostupid Rookie

I think that Bioshock would work better as a movie than it did as a game - the story and atmosphere were the best aspects, and the most likely aspects to be translated well to a film format.

I think the film would work better if they kept the same story from the game.

10. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

im wondering if they will keep the same story or change it. if they keep it the same, then we already know the big twist (SPOILER) Would you kindly?

at least they are aiming for an r rating and say they will push the little sister 'harvesting' sequences as far as they can.

11. maca2kx

maca2kx Rookie

Considering you took a lot of persuasion to get the damn game you really do love it now... you're welcome.

Sam

12. Ghaleon007

Ghaleon007 Rookie

I could see this happening. At least they got pretty decent people to make it

13. JCD

JCD Rookie

Yeah, don't forget how my purchase of the game led to months of pain. Want to take responsibility for that too? :D

14. kverduga

kverduga Rookie

It's for this reason that I believe Bioshock would fare better as a mini-serie... Y'know, to give time so the whole psycho aspects develop properly. I know it isn't happening. (=___=)

Really, though, Verbinski has an epic to play with, so let's cross our fingers. But, in the words of JCD, even Spielberg would find it daunting, or it could just vanish into thin air.

15. maca2kx

maca2kx Rookie

You're never going to let me forget that are you? Try looking both ways before you cross!

Sam

16. Rekkie7

Rekkie7 Rookie

I'm looking foward to it, if it sucks then no big loss the game was still awesome. If it rocks...well then thats one more film that rocks.

It's got potential for sure.

17. Padain

Padain Rookie

The fact that he isnt even going to push for a pg-13 gives me hope. Too many adaptations tend to dull things down as to make it accessible to the audience. Making it R makes me want to think they are going to get as close as they can to the game...while still making an interesting movie for those that never played it.

I think if it does get made, and when members of this forum go to see it, fans of the game will have to step away from the video game in case it branches far or changes something that the fan boys were hoping to get their rocks off on

18. TheBiGTW

TheBiGTW Rookie

Verbinski managed to make a fantastic film (and admittedly two interminable sequels) based on a theme park ride of all things, so if there's yet hope of anybody making the elusive videogame spin-off that doesn't immediately sacrifice plot on the altar of violence in an effort to sell the DVD to twelve-year-olds and frat boys, i think it lies squarely with him.

19. DH_Ninja

DH_Ninja Regular

I'm seeing this as not working out, but hey, if its done right, it could turn out fine.