Beta

A

abcwtf

I know there's been about 10 or so topics created directed at the flaws in the beta form of the GR boards lately, but I have a question to ask.

Could it be possible for us to just revert to the old forum? I mean, the users could hold a vote, whether old or new, pending the changes to optimize beta in its time of desperate need.

Could it be considered?

Maybe it's just me, but I've never really thought the problems that the Beta boards suffer from are that serious to be honest. I can understand why you'd make this topic if Beta was causing major errors for the boards(e.g. crashing every 5 minutes, deleting posts, preventing people from posting for no reason etc) but really what's the worst you have to put up with here? Posts with mixed up placements? Yeah, it's weird but you can still read them can't you? The reply screen which doesn't take you back to the topic? Why don't you just click the link that says(in this case) GRandmasters? The board doesn't keep you automatically logged in? Big whoop, just type in your goddamn password, it only takes about 20 seconds!

Personally, I kind of see this as like biting the hand that feeds you. The GRandmasters give you the whole of this message board for free(minus internet bills), they give you (almost) complete freedom of speech and actions and you're STILL not satisfied! And now you want to create a poll to get the old Gamepost back? Jesus fucking almighty, I thought we'd seen the last of this kind of talk back in November! You're a gamer, you're supposed to like the concept of change! The old boards are DEAD, they will NEVER come back, and frankly, why would you want them to?

I'm really sorry if I've come off a bit short-fused here but it is starting to annoy me all this talk about the problems of Beta. I dunno why the Grandmasters haven't fixed the flaws yet, but I'm sure they have their reasons, and really, the boards are still working so what's the problem? They'll be fixed eventually, I have faith in the Grandmasters, or maybe I'm just being a suck-up, you decide!;)

Hey covert opts is gone because people could view it. ALSO a problem. And the problems seem to be mounting rather than being fixed, so yeah it's a deal, especially when a forum loses it's privacy. Gotta fix the problems. That's just the bottom line.

BoyAnachronism said:
Posts with mixed up placements? Yeah, it's weird but you can still read them can't you? The reply screen which doesn't take you back to the topic? Why don't you just click the link that says(in this case) GRandmasters? The board doesn't keep you automatically logged in? Big whoop, just type in your goddamn password, it only takes about 20 seconds!
Everything you've said there is an example of the boards not working the way they're supposed to. There's other examples of this as well, such as the problem DL just mentioned above me; the Covert Ops board was open to the public, and we were unable to secure it again. That's a major problem. That's like saying the bank just gave out a bunch of PIN numbers. Oops! But don't complain! No, if you complain that your bank just gave away your PIN number to a stranger, the bank will get angry and take everything back from you!
I know the analogy doesn't totally work, as GR is a free service. But that doesn't totally matter, does it? As DL said, the problems are not going away, they're mounting.
According to your post we should all just settle for a board that only half works. Posts are mixed up, when you reply it doesn't forward you to the correct page, some people won't stay logged in, and forum permissions have virtually become null. I don't think anybody should have to settle for a system like that, no matter how free it is. People are right to wish for the old UBB boards back; they actually worked, and worked quite well!

masterchris said:
Everything you've said there is an example of the boards not working the way they're supposed to. There's other examples of this as well, such as the problem DL just mentioned above me; the Covert Ops board was open to the public, and we were unable to secure it again. That's a major problem. That's like saying the bank just gave out a bunch of PIN numbers. Oops! But don't complain! No, if you complain that your bank just gave away your PIN number to a stranger, the bank will get angry and take everything back from you!
I know the analogy doesn't totally work, as GR is a free service. But that doesn't totally matter, does it? As DL said, the problems are not going away, they're mounting.
According to your post we should all just settle for a board that only half works. Posts are mixed up, when you reply it doesn't forward you to the correct page, some people won't stay logged in, and forum permissions have virtually become null. I don't think anybody should have to settle for a system like that, no matter how free it is. People are right to wish for the old UBB boards back; they actually worked, and worked quite well!

Those are some good points both you and DL have raised here. I didn't actually know about the problem with the Covert Ops forum, that IS a serious problem and I sincerely apologise for my ignorance related to that subject.

As for the other problems, I guess it's all a matter of opinion as to whether you can live with them or not. For myself, to take an personal example from elsewhere, if there is a squeaky door in my house, I'm not the kind of person who'd go rushing instantly to the garage to get the oil can. The way I see it, granted it is not working the way it's supposed to, but it still has it's basic purpose in tact. I can still get in and out of the room, which to me is all that matters. But I know a lot of people who, in the same situation would instantly try to fix that problem, so I totally understand what you're saying MC.

These problems are building up, and they do need to be fixed, but that said I fail to see how bringing the old UBB boards back will instantly fix the problem. I don't know much about these things but I'll hazard a guess it'll probably take the GMs longer to re-build the UBB boards than it will for them to fix the problems on this one.

Nonetheless, I'll gladly support a campaign to bring the UBB boards back if the campaigners want it back for the right reasons(IE, these new boards just don't work). However, the cynic in me gets the feeling that the majority of people who want thw UBB boards back are purely doing it because they never got over the loss of the ranking system,. they just want something kinda trival they can boast about again. And surely I can't be the only one here who is confused by the fact that a lot of the people who complained about the UBB boards when we had them are the same people campaigning for their return, can I?

Whether this is the case or not I'm not sure, but either way, I highly doubt the GMs will bring back the old boards somehow. I'll admit I went a bit crazy in my previous post, for which I am sorry. It was mostly because the opening post reminded me of all those "OMG, These New Boards Suck!", topics which plagued Gamepost in November, I hated those with intense passion! The problems are problems, and they do need to be fixed I'll admit, but I'm not convinced bringing UBB back is the way to solve them I'm afraid.

Actually, I believe the old UBB boards still exist somewhere, exactly as we had left them. They're either just not up, or at an address that is not publicly known.
The only appealing thing about having the UBB boards back is that at the moment they actually work, and the phpBB2 boards are in a bit of a mess. That's not to say they can't be fixed, but we've been waiting for them to fix the stupid bug where the posts end up out of order for months now (it's a problem they know about, and they know what's causing it, and Duke has said before in Covert Ops that it's going to be fixed, or that it has been fixed, or something to that affect, but it's still not fixed - or it keeps breaking).

But you're absolutely right, they wouldn't go back to UBB. The phpBB2 boards are integral to the community features on the new GR site. A lot of the cool stuff going on with the rest of the site (the Community page, blogs, user reviews) are all tied in very, very tightly with the phpBB2 boards, and PHP is one of the best ways to do that (hence why they switched the board software to something PHP-based when they built the new site, instead of UBB which iirc is CGI).

Hah hah hah. You explained ithe problem quite verily, and accurately as I was tired and had a headache so I was unable to articulate a better stance on the subject. Thus, you came, agreed, expounded, and asserted the correct notions. Exemplory posting, good friend!

Oh, and I was just f'ing with you, my way of patting you on the back. Unnecessary, but you sumed up what I wanted to say to begin with, so it was good timing.

I dunno. If this were kindergarden, you'd get a gold star dang it, Y'know?

Compliment, buddy, just take the compliment. lol

I just found it a little strange..

I don't think I've ever had one of those before around here.
What was it you called it? A com-pli-ment?

Felt kinda... good

I hope seeing the disagreement and disloyalty that ran abhorrently through Covert Ops was as much an eye opener to you fine people as it was to us, friends. A productive day!

I would find myself hard-pressed to find a problem (that isní¢â‚¬â„¢t the notorious oppression) here that merits reversion to the old boards.

Time is always the solution to such problems, abcwtf, as you will find when you reach puberty.

ST

Dark_Legacy said:
masterchris said:
Felt kinda... good

Hopefully it will happen more often. :)
Nope. i won't allow it!
masterchris, you are a liar and a cheat and the pope hates you and you have no friends.

Now on to buisness. On the landmark case Classic v Beta, the supreme court ruled 5-4 that though flawed, beta does not violate any of your civil rights and shall be used indefinatly. Deal with it.

yeah i like how the forums are now..... i wasnt around to see the last forums and how they operated but the ones now are good......they just need to fix the bugs and problems with the site and get everything to 100% working order...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod