Mass Effect 2

madster111

Rookie
Figured it was time to have a general topic to cover anything you want to discuss about the game.

First 10 minutes are incredible.
Graphics are stunning.
Sound is excellent.

A solid A, IMO.

LOVE how this one has Ammo and no fucking useless weapon cooldown.

I'm maybe 2 hours or so into it so far and it seems pretty awesome...I really like the combat and female Shepherd is just an overall badass.

One minor thing is that since I got it on the PC, I wasn't able to import a character at all, so I found out that of the two characters you have to decide to go on their suicide mission it chose the character I would have NEVER sent. Thinking about restarting because of that, but I'm not sure it's possible to get the choice I want if I'm playing as a female Shep

Green_Lantern said:
I'm maybe 2 hours or so into it so far and it seems pretty awesome...I really like the combat and female Shepherd is just an overall badass.

One minor thing is that since I got it on the PC, I wasn't able to import a character at all, so I found out that of the two characters you have to decide to go on their suicide mission it chose the character I would have NEVER sent. Thinking about restarting because of that, but I'm not sure it's possible to get the choice I want if I'm playing as a female Shep
..Who did you want to let stay behind?
I chose Kaiden, apparently, because of this game save i downloaded.
I don't care.
I never liked either of them.

Also, the first time i saw the SR2, i almost passed out it's so awesome.

I liked Ashley a hell of a lot more than Kaiden...Fuck that guy.

I'm thinking about picking up the first so I can get a character that I will be able to take all three games...But I doubt I'll ever get around to it.

Green_Lantern said:
I liked Ashley a hell of a lot more than Kaiden...f*** that guy.

I'm thinking about picking up the first so I can get a character that I will be able to take all three games...But I doubt I'll ever get around to it.

Seriously, just grab one of these and modify the appearance after the..thing happens.
http://www.annakie.com/me/home.htm

Also, suggest you pick one where you let the council live.

Right, since this thread is likely going to be a whole bunch of people wanking over how good this game is, let me start off by saying what ISN'T good about it.

Ammo instead of cooling, for two reasons. One, it takes a big shit on what the first game established. This is like when they said that the force is controlled by Midiclorians. So, they have this established system of weaponry that works well and makes sense, and somehow in the last 2 years we lost all record of it and have reverted back a century. What the fuck is up with that?
Second, it takes away all of the challenge. In the first game, if you just jump out and shoot like crazy, you'll overheat in seconds. This pretty much makes you SOL for the next 10 seconds, in which time the enemy rips through your shield and kills you. With ammo, it makes it so that you can just shoot like crazy, reload, and continue to shoot like crazy. And it's not like you have to actually worry, because ammo apparently grows on trees.
Also, it's just like every other game. Apparently they don't feel the need to stand out or do anything differently.

On that note, like I said before this game isn't an RPG anymore. It's a shooter where you talk a lot. I mean, really, there's hardly any difference in each of the weapons, there are maybe 5 or 6 different skill options, compared to the 12-15 that were in the first game, and the upgrade system was completely removed. I mean, really. San Andreas was more of an RPG than this.

Also, there's no challenge anymore. It instead follows your typical shooter style of difficulty, which is "Throw as many enemies at them as possible hoping that they'll get shot, have plenty of insta-kill enemies." Whereas the first game actually forced you to think about what you were doing. You were able to use your biotics ONCE, and then you had to wait a whole minute before you could use it again. This made you actually think about which abilities you were going to use when, instead of just using the same one every five seconds. I actually got bored and quit after a few hours, and that doesn't happen to me often. Also, why is it that my Vanguard is suddenly able to use every gun? I should be able to use pistols and shotguns, nothing else.

Now don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good game. It looks good, and it's kinda fun, but that can only carry it so far before it has to learn to walk. If it was a stand alone game and not a sequel, I'd give it about an A- or B+, but since it's a sequel to a great game that it doesn't live up to, I'd give it a solid B. Above average, but not Bioware's best work.

I actually found the combat much more challenging in Mass Effect 2. As a pure biotic in Mass Effect 1, I could just unload power after power, and every two seconds, a power would have recharged so I could use it again. Here, I had to take cover and shoot wisely, and since using a power resets the charging time for every power, I can't just fire away powers willy-nilly.

Just try to play the game on Hardcore or Insanity and you'll feel the challenge. You will die a lot.

Not sure what the talk is about ME2 not being an RPG. RPGs aren't defined by complex inventory systems, which I think have gotten out of hand in the genre. The extent at which you can make meaningful decisions is one of the hallmarks of this game - you're actually role-playing with human judgment, not just watching a cutscene unfold.

The only thing is it only takes about 4 or 5 seconds to recharge every power. So this makes it so that you can just do the same power over and over as long as you want. And since it also takes about 5 seconds to get you back to full heath, it's very easy to just poke your head out, use a power, hide, repeat every 5 seconds.

I am playing on Insanity, and like I said, it isn't challenging. It's just hard. Going up against wave after wave of the same enemy with the chance of dying isn't challenging, it's just hard. Especially since they took your map away, which is another thing that bugs me.

And save for a handful of important choices, every interaction consists of the choice between "answer nicely", "answer normally", and "answer angirly" with the other person's response being EXACTLY the same no matter which one you picked.

I couldn't agree more Longo. What I loved about the first one is that you would find yourself in battle situations where you will die every time until you figure out something new to do. Challenging. This go around it feels like is just an increase in enemies that you have to wade through. Hard at times but not challenging. And ammo?!? F*** that noise. Solid B.

tbh i'm not concerned - i'm in it for the chattery and storytelling.

I'm in europe so my CE is not here yet, but it's been dispatched!

I didn't find the battles in the first one hard at all...Over half the time I would just run into a battle without needing to find cover or anything. So it's pretty much the same, but combat is much smoother this time around IMO.

I absolutely love the Vanguard charge and combat feels more frantic this time around. I've only gotten to the location of the Illusive man thus far so I'm not too deep into the game yet to comment really.

Re:

Longo_2_guns said:
The only thing is it only takes about 4 or 5 seconds to recharge every power. So this makes it so that you can just do the same power over and over as long as you want. And since it also takes about 5 seconds to get you back to full heath, it's very easy to just poke your head out, use a power, hide, repeat every 5 seconds.

I am playing on Insanity, and like I said, it isn't challenging. It's just hard. Going up against wave after wave of the same enemy with the chance of dying isn't challenging, it's just hard. Especially since they took your map away, which is another thing that bugs me.

And save for a handful of important choices, every interaction consists of the choice between "answer nicely", "answer normally", and "answer angirly" with the other person's response being EXACTLY the same no matter which one you picked.

I agree that for many battles, you can just hide and use your powers (or your squadmates' powers) over and over again. The only times when I couldn't do it was if the enemy advanced on my position and there was no place to fall back. I still hold, though, that compared to Mass Effect 1, the tactical action is much better - flawed in new ways, but at least it holds my attention now.

As for the interactions, I actually think it's important that most of them remained generally the same no matter which option you pick. If the player could sway every person's decision in a dramatic way just with a response, then the contrast between important decisions and unimportant ones would be lost (as well as the NPC's believability as a person with their own mind).

Also, I actually found that a person's response between you answering nicely versus answering aggressively did change. Most of the time, it wasn't enough so that general outcome was any different, but what they said in return changed a little. Still, I like the highs and lows in the importance of a dialogue sequence - it makes me judge how much impact my responses will have depending on the situation.

I'm like 5 hours in, and I'm addicted, I can honestly say that it ranks pretty well in the finest games I have played in the last 10 years

89 bucks for PC here in Oz.

I would like the steam version but i dont have a credit card and plus i have limited bandwidth. :(

I won't play it until I beat Mass Effect 1 again, twice more.

Yeah, i'm that hardcore. One playtrhough is almost done though.

lokness said:
89 bucks for PC here in Oz.

I would like the steam version but i dont have a credit card and plus i have limited bandwidth. :(
Give me your address and i'll send you a copy on DVD.
Seriously. PM me it.

Anyway, Longo;
I find the combat in 2 harder, IMO. I play on normal, and in the first one i'd just stand in the middle of the field and pick off enemies with my rifle because it wouldn't overheat for about 4 minutes of solid shooting. Not to mention the zero recoil and my nearly infinite shields.

In this one, i'm forced to take cover and do headshots.
And don't bitch about ammo. Go try to do everything with just your Pistol and sniper rifle, and you will run out VERY quickly.

Besides, the conversation options are more numerous and there's more people to talk to.

^Doesn't help if they have nothing interesting to say. I'd rather have 100 different conversations with random people like are in 1 than 1000 of the exact same thing from everybody.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod