Let's post some pictures! (Of yourself or..Whatever else.)

Nice drawing. The anatomy is a huge improvement from some of your earlier stuff.

used44 said:
Nice drawing. The anatomy is a huge improvement from some of your earlier stuff.

Thanks used, I appreciate that man. I'm glad I'm showing some sign of improvement. :)

MattAY said:
PS - Craigy boy that's awesome! DO A COLOUR ONE!
I'd like to ask a drawing question: How often do you make mistakes? ie. draw something and rub it out and draw it again?

I fucking do it all the time - I swear I'm getting worse :p

Thanks MattAY, I really appreciate that :) - I might finish this drawing someday, but I kinda wanna do another one from a more interesting perspective. :)

To answer your question, it really depends on the drawing. Sometimes there won't be many mistakes, sometimes I make a lot. When ever I do drawing nowadays, whether it's on digital or by sketch, I always work with layers to help me plan the drawing.

If working with paper, I start by planning the drawing very lightly with a lead pencil. I basically draw 'sausage people' to get poses/angles and perspective right, or at least the best I can. Once that's done, I'll go over it in a bit more detail with the pencil, give it some shape and detail and then finally, I go over it with a pen and finalise it. With this approach in mind, there's usually minimal mistakes, because you're essentially just drawing over what you've already drawn, just refining it. Once the sketch is finished I either just leave it, or I scan it into Adobe Photoshop to go over it digitally.

When I work in pure digital (so do the drawing completely from scratch in Photoshop, like this pirate fella of mine was done in) I pretty much do the same thing but I work in the Photoshop layers. For example, Layer 1 will be the "sausage man" (I'll generally name it 'Plan' or something) but in a light blue. Once that's done, I'll turn down the transparency to about 50% then I'll make a new layer over the top of it. This layer will be called something like 'Plan detail' or whatever, where I essentially draw over the sausage man in greater detail. Once that's done, I'll make a new layer on top of that and that'll be "LA" (line art), which is then when I use black.

So... whether it's digital, or traditional (pencil/pen and paper) I usually follow those steps for either or options. It insures I make as little mistakes as possible. I'm not sure what steps and process you follow MattAY, whether it's something different or very similar, but either way I hope this helps you out. :) This process is literally how I do all my drawings, and that includes the GR Strips comics.

In the near future (hopefully) I'm going to try and make videos to YouTube for instructions on digital drawing... I also want to try my hand at animation but time is of the essence. Hopefully one day this year. :)

The weekend that just passed was a good weekend. Since I live in a small, isolated city we don't get an opportunity like this very often, but the three judo clubs of my state joined together for a weekend training seminar with two Australian Olympic judo fighters from down south. I'm big fans of both of them and it was such an honour to meet them and such a privilege to learn from them, even for just a weekend.

I got to do randori (stand up sparring/fighting) with one of them and he kicked the crap out of me. It was awesome. The next day I got to do ne-waza with them (ground fighting) and they kicked the crap out of me again. So awesome. These guys are like, 5'10 or shorter and in the 60kg range (about 130 Ibs). Mean while I'm 6'3 and 100ish kg (220ish Ibs) and they were totally rag dolling me. So awesome.

One of them runs an online business, 'Beyond Grappling', teaching judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, free style wrestling as well as nutrition and general exercise and conditioning. Back in 2012, this fella held a competition online to win some Beyond Grappling merchandise and somehow I was lucky enough to win... so yesterday, I got them both to sign my hoody.

beyondgrapplinghoody_zps5f007e59.jpg

Good weekend. :)

Sorry to be a wanker and to spam this thread, but there's just one more picture I wanted to show... and I apologize about the massive resolution. Edit: Re-sized the photo in Photoshop and uploaded it to Photobucket. Unfortunately, the quality still isn't good because I downloaded the photo from my Facebook account and not my home computer (where I have the full quality version).

Disneysmaller_zpsdda424f9.jpg

My friends and I travelled to America in late 2012/early 2013 and we visited California. We stayed at the Disneyland hotel and we visited Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure for a total of nine days. It was an amazing experience and I loved it.

This photo was taken at Paradise Pier in Disney's California Adventure. It's very special to me because it was our first night in Disneyland but also it was taken on my birthday - December 30th.

For anyone's interest, at the time I was running around with a Nikon D3100 DSLR and the two stock lenses, being a 10-55mm lens and a 55-300mm lens. This one I'm pretty sure I used the 10-55.

Master_Craig said:
Suicide Mouse Wheel?

Oh God. What happened? >_<
What, you don't know why the baskets have bars?

Haha. Gotcha. :p

Or did I? :shock:

No...but seriously. Youtube it. :brow2:

Just kidding. Don't do that. :grinno:

I feel terrible for pretty much spamming this thread... but here's a sketch I did of a character concept of mine. I took some photos of the step by step process, mostly for MattAY's benefit and anyone else who might be interested.

basic_zps0c6c71ed.jpg

This is basically step one. Drawing the basic figure in a sort of "sausage man" look. Here, I don't care what goes through the lines and what passes through, as it's just the plan of the drawing for me to try and get the proportions as correct as possible. As you can see, already the proportion looks funny (the left arm). I stuffed it up, but that's just me needing practice. This is done with a lead pencil.

minordetail_zps1ae3f331.jpg

Next step is going over the plan (or the "sausage man") again with a lead pencil, but this time with more detail. Here's where you get a little creative and draw what goes where, but this is also where you gotta be a bit careful about lines passing through and stuff... but it's not that big of a deal, as this is still pretty much the plan process. For me, it just makes things clearer and easier.

penrough_zps99e38d08.jpg

The third step is going over it with a pen. Now, I could have, and probably should have gone over this with much smoother lines, but again I didn't really care and I pretty much re-sketched it, just with a pen. When I say "re-sketched", I honestly mean tracing.

final_zps11635413.jpg

The final stage. Just grabbing an eraser and getting rid of all the lead pencil stuff, so the sausage man and plan are gone, leaving behind just the ink. Again I could have just tried drawing smoother, cleaner lines for the line art but to be fair, if I took this sketch into Photoshop to do over digitally, I can just re-draw clean lines there, so it's not a problem.

This is a character concept of mine that's supposed to be a big guy, "the" big guy so to speak. Cyborgs are cool so I gave him a robotic left arm, but the whole half torn coat thing, I thought that would look cool to sorta show that was the coat he was wearing at the time with whatever happened to him (how he lost his arm etc). I thought by wearing the same coat, it's kinda a sign of anger and revenge. I gave him a big hammer because I thought it would be a cool weapon for a big guy, and as silly as it'll sound, the beanie and beard is supposed to make him look a bit intimidating, almost like a thug crossed with a lumber jack. This fella is inspired by Hugh Jackman.

This came in on our delivery Monday morning. I forgot to post a picture of it, but I think these toys might be cool.

dgbw7.jpg

^ Edit - Wrong thread Sourdeez? :p

Another four step progress shot of a sketch of mine.

10453367_10152271962334143_3901218412088695047_n.jpg

1 - Basic outline for overall body, pose and proportions. The "Sausage Man".

10469679_10152271962389143_6660092185503153477_n.jpg

2 - Basic detail is added with a lead pencil. "Sausage Man" frame is still clearly visible.

10402891_10152271962424143_7101527506806929734_n.jpg

3 - Pen is used to out line lead pencil sketch, albeit pen is used in a sketching manner.

10455763_10152271962459143_3709939185487188336_n.jpg

4 - An eraser is used to get rid of all lead pencil. A few minor additions are added to the sketch. Sketch is now complete and ready for digital import... if I ever get around to it.

This is a character concept I came up with eleven years ago when I was sixteen, except back then it was a lot more simpler in terms of design and my ability to draw. This is a sort of "rebooted" design and I can safely say, I am finally 100% happy with this character concept.

[Edit/Update]

OH MY GOD. I found the original concept of this, back when I was first learning the ways of Photoshop back in 2004, when I was sixteen.

Beneath_the_water___repost_by_CraigzeFunky.jpg

IT IS SO HORRIBLE!

Scorpion?

Did you just find out how to add a ripple effect to an image at that point haha?

It's cool. I've had the box almost twenty years and have only been tortured with chains and hooks maybe two, three times tops.

MattAY said:
Scorpion?

Did you just find out how to add a ripple effect to an image at that point haha?

Nah, not Scorpion... it was supposed to be a Jedi kinda character (I loved Star Wars as a teenager, still do). But the character could be used as a swordsman/fantasy kinda guy. The primary colour scheme was yellow/black.

And yes, when I first discovered Photoshop I was basically using and abusing the crap out of filters to make "art". "OMG LENS FLARE" "OMG RIPPLES" - yes, I was -that- kid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133