Board Games

Jonathan_Leack said:
Have any of you been to a board game cafe? I just moved to Washington state and they are all over the place here. I've been going to one every few weeks and am starting to really get into board games.

My favorite game so far is Betrayal At House On The Hill:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/105 ... house-hill

We have Betrayal At House On The Hill as well. That's a great game. We've only played it once or twice, though.

Where I live is honestly too small of a population for a board game cafe, but that sounds like a wonderful idea that we could, and should establish.

We try and play board games once every few weeks on the weekend. When ever I go to PAX AUS, we always play board games there for hours and hours.

I've been to a couple, usually with friends. It's a fantastic way to meet people or try and play something new.

Check out all my recommendations and try them. Though I need to play more, they're pretty good.

pic338410.jpg

Anyone played the original Hero Quest? This is the board game of my childhood.

I used to LOVE playing this board game with my brothers and my cousins, when ever we went over to my grandparents' house. They had heaps of board games but this one was my absolute favourite.

God, I miss Hero Quest so much. My friend had it and we ran through the campaign together. He'd control two of the heroes, while I controlled the other two, but I'd make all the decisions about where we would go. It worked out overall.

My high school gaming club had it also, along with a couple of the expansion boxes, though I don't think I had the chance to play them.

I can somewhat get my tactical mini fix with Imperial Assault, though my group and I still haven't managed to finish the campaign because we have kids and it's hard to break out a game that'll take that long with so many components without risk of little fingers grabbing stuff.

Relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A&t=2s

I'd love to try and actually make a board game. Problem is, I have no idea where to start, aside from ideas on paper, developing the style, rules etc.

I have lots of ideas, but that's my problem with anything creative - too many ideas, and not taking the time to settle on one to further develop it.

Dark_Souls_The_Board_Game_Kickstarter_25.jpg

Goddammit. I had no idea that a Dark Souls board game was being developed. Comes out this month, successful Kickstarter earned over three million dollars.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... board-game

I just saw the price tag... geeze. It's gonna cost $159 AUD (about $120 USD). I've read about the game and it sounds bloody awesome, I'm just not sure if I can justify that price tag.

Master_Craig said:
pic338410.jpg

Anyone played the original Hero Quest? This is the board game of my childhood.

I used to LOVE playing this board game with my brothers and my cousins, when ever we went over to my grandparents' house. They had heaps of board games but this one was my absolute favourite.

Haha YES! My brothers played the actual game.

I remember just playing around with the figurines! I was a little lad at the time!

Mm, we have a number of cafes that happen to have board games, and also a few specifically targeted board game cafes. And a board game pizza restaurant. Also general nerd pubs and such. It's great.

Used, you shouldn't ask for things if you don't want them! Never taking your requests seriously again.

I'm glad you guys mentioned CAH and Apples to Apples, because a number of my friends are still crazed about CAH and I am just over it. Even when I can get a group of people together who can think beyond haha rape, my interest dies after about one round. But I guess people think Apples to Apples can't be cool now that CAH is on the scene? Ridiculous.

I was playing with the idea of getting some board games in to play at work, but lunch breaks are scattered and too short for most games, and people are just busy and not interested, which kind of sucks. I thought I might start by just laying out a chess board and seeing what results.

Also I'm happy that I finally have Tabletop Simulator and can flip tables with my faraway friends.

Sightless said:
I'm happy that I finally have Tabletop Simulator and can flip tables with my faraway friends.

Is Tabletop Simulator any good?

I was contemplating getting it, because I saw that there's a virtual Zombicide DLC.

Sightless said:
Used, you shouldn't ask for things if you don't want them! Never taking your requests seriously again.

Hey, forgetting about SW: Destiny (and forcing myself to stop looking for news and videos) has saved me probably hundreds of dollars, haha. It's a miracle that I haven't succumbed to any CCG considering that I'm very susceptible to blind bag booster purchasing in video games and toys.

I have Tabletop Simulator and have only played it once. I found it very clunky, but I'm sure you could get used to the controls eventually.

I might even have an extra copy...

I did! Sent it your way, Craig.

used44 said:
I have Tabletop Simulator and have only played it once. I found it very clunky, but I'm sure you could get used to the controls eventually.
Same. I also expected to play more games with friends. None of them wanted to.

Also, I got a game called The Game of Things, which is basically CAH/Apples to Apples but you write your own answers.

At first it was kinda eh, but when we messed with the rules a bit it became a really fun game, though it turned into a lot of repeated answers.

used44 said:

I might even have an extra copy...

I did! Sent it your way, Craig.

Shit, man! Bloody hell. Thanks for that :) that's really awesome of you. I won't be able to try it out until Sunday, but I can't wait to give it a go.

I better flick something over to you sometime. :)

Yeah, it certainly does feel clunky at first, but you do get used to it the more you use it. I really enjoy the ability to mimic real physics, and I think it's a cool creative space if you want to mess around. I already had a set of friends using it regularly for various things (lots of D&D), so I hopped on. I'm very boring sometimes so I may also be there just putting together a jigsaw puzzle.

Ah, I have Things too... but I feel like the value is just in paper and pencils. I'm kind of indifferent about the prompts; I think it's better to make your own. Also, I guess my group of friends way overthinks things, or perhaps know how to deceive each other too well, because newcomers always seem to win the game.

No worries, Craig. I think it was on sale when I bought a four-pack of digital copies and shared two with closest boardgamimg friends on the hopes that we could play more often but I think I was the only one who tried it and like I said, I didn't give it much of a shot either.

I rarely play anything on PC, and I know scheduling would be a nightmare, but maybe we could all try something simple together on TS this summer.

Sightless said:
I was playing with the idea of getting some board games in to play at work, but lunch breaks are scattered and too short for most games, and people are just busy and not interested, which kind of sucks. I thought I might start by just laying out a chess board and seeing what results.

You might try some smaller games, especially if you can get just one person interested to try. When others see you playing, I've found it's almost impossible for people not to check out what you are doing.

Jaipur is a good little two player game, cashing in sets of cards for points but with a nice theme and good artwork.

Love Letter is a simple game of deduction which goes up to four players, can be explained in under a minute and rounds typically take just a couple of minutes. A full game can go 15-30 minutes if different people keep winning rounds, but it can always be cut short.

Coup is an amazing game of lying and bluffing, giving each person two role cards with special abilities face down, so no one else knows what they are. On your turn you declare one of the roles and enact its power, but you can lie about it! Someone can call you on it and if they are right, you discard one of your cards. If they were wrong, they lose a card. Last person standing wins.

For a couple of games you can solo in the event no one does want to play, also small box, are Space Hulk: Death Angel, which I've described earlier in this thread, and Samurai Spirit, which loosely recreates the movie Seven Samurai using cards and a little cardboard village. Neither of these are particularly short though, now that I think about it.

I went to a board game convention this last weekend, up in Vancouver, B.C. It was a lot of fun, I got to play some games I had never played before (even though I own two of them), and got to try out the fantastic Inis that has been raved about in gaming circles, and agree it deserves the hype. It was also just a nice vacation away from home and the kids.

I heard PAX now has a new convention called "PAX: Unplugged", where it's all about table top gaming. Man, I'd love to go to that.

Dark_Souls_The_Board_Game_Kickstarter_25.jpg

Goddammit. I had no idea that a Dark Souls board game was being developed. Comes out this month, successful Kickstarter earned over three million dollars.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... board-game

I just saw the price tag... geeze. It's gonna cost $159 AUD (about $120 USD). I've read about the game and it sounds bloody awesome, I'm just not sure if I can justify that price tag.
Did you buy this in the end? I'm interested in it. I like board games with miniatures, but I've never really found one that's stuck with me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod