Board Games

Power Grid, now there is a long, manly game of zone control and money management. Plus a bit of worker placement...god damn euros...

Went and bought King of Tokyo for the boys at Target for $30. Excited for them to open it on Christmas. They stop in front of it everytime we go to the game store.

Bought the Guardians expansion for Marvel Legendary. This continues to be a fun game. If they made it an iPad game I would buy it all again. Four expansions in now.

Played my first game of Cards Against Humanity. Enjoyed it well enough, but I'd rather play other games.

Cards Against Humanity is alright but it kinda feels like the game is having all the fun for you. A little forced. Good with the right crowd, but that crowd could probably have as hilarious a time playing basic Apples to Apples or Balderdash.

I think you hit it head on. I got more laughs pairing JFK and explosive in Apples to Apples than anything last night.

So you're asking me you want a new game to play? Well, I've got one. I started playing it a while back and just forgot to tell you guys, but I may have found the best game ever.

Cosmic Encounter

Fantasy-Flights.board.jpg

Basically, it's like Risk with cards, but it only lasts 45 minutes at most, and every single time is different.

Everyone gets a different alien power with awesome abilities, and then you fight each other to put your ships on their planets. Once you have ships on five other planets, you win! So the basic rules are always the same, but the cards you have and the power you have is always different.

It's a little complex at first, but it is really easy to pick up once you've played it. Definitely the game we play with our friends now, though.

WickedLiquid said:
Last board game I played was Scrabble. Using the words "As" and "Ion" on the board I was able to spell "Asphyxiation". It was the smartest thing I ever did in my hole lyfe.

Holy shit! All seven tiles; awesome! That's a fifty point additional bonus, right? My grandparents used to play all the time and reach scores over 400. I always thought that was very impressive.

Anyway, there's a YouTube channel called The Dice Tower that reviews TONS of board games from the casual to advanced. It's worth checking out if you're wanting something new but not quite sure what to look for.

I got The Lord of the Rings LCG base game the other week. It's a solitaire or 2-player co-operative deck-building card game and I've only tried it solo so far and HOW DO YOU PLAY IT. I watched the first few episodes on it from the Watch It Played YouTube channel, but obviously didn't retain enough information to just pick it up. I read the instructions also, obviously, but they're like 25+ pages of rules.

Confusing game, y'all. I'll revisit the Watch It Played show and figure it out, but it didn't make me super excited.

Hey if anyone has a local game shop with the two Star Wars Destiny starter packs in stock, I WILL PAY YOU ONE THOUSAND GOLD KRUGERRANDS for one of each starter and a few boosters sent my way.

used44 said:
Hey if anyone has a local game shop with the two Star Wars Destiny starter packs in stock, I WILL PAY YOU ONE THOUSAND GOLD KRUGERRANDS for one of each starter and a few boosters sent my way.

I understand some of these words.

I'll check my local game shop sometime soon.

In the meantime, in the last few years I've started a huge board game collection! Here are all of my favorites!

Sentinels of the Multiverse!
sentinels1-600x448.jpg

This one has become a bit of a favorite among me and my friends, since it's super easy to pick up and play, but ridiculously fun and challenging.

Everyone picks a superhero, and you work together to defeat a villain. Most of the game is pretty self explanitory, and it has different difficulty levels depending on the villain, hero, and level you play in. And since it's a random card game, it's super replayable.

I would HIGHLY recommend it.

BOSS MONSTER
14a1_boss_monster_dungeon_building_card_game_parts.jpg

This one is a competitive game for 2-4 players, and probably one of the most fun ones I've played.

You play as an 8-Bit video game boss, and the goal is to kill 10 adventurers in your dungeon. Every turn you build your dungeon larger, and compete to attract and kill adventurers.

Super fun, highly recommend.

XCOM: THE BOARD GAME
xc01_layout.png

This one is a bit tougher to recommend, since it requires 1) a bit too much setup, 2) a mobile device/iPad, and 3) is hard as nails.

There are four roles that you fill, and so if you have 4 people everyone takes a role. Otherwise people double up on the roles. Or you can play by yourself and do all four roles. But I've never done that!

You download a companion app, which directs everything that happens in the game. There's a timed portion and a dice rolling portion, and requires fast paced cooperation and planning to succeed.

The best part is it plays all the XCOM music while you play, but it's a neat concept and really rewarding when you win.

DEAD OF WINTER
Dead-of-Winter-Board.jpg

Now, I don't own this one, so it's hard for me to recommend it outright, but we play it a bunch with a friend of mine and it's pretty fun.

It's a zombie "cooperative" game, where everyone is trying to survive with a certain win condition. There's individual ones for each player, as well as a group one. It's another game with a huge random element to it, making replayability easy and fun.

I don't think we've ever won. But it's still good.

Is Boss Monster confusing? It looks complicated. I've been really interested in XCOM and Dead of Winter too. DoW is always so expensive though.

AHPL7cS.jpg

Here's my current collection, minus a few games I think. The red tackle box is Star Wars X-wing and a bunch of expansion ships.

used44 said:
Is Boss Monster confusing? It looks complicated.
Not really. Once you understand the basic concept, it's not hard at all.
Watch a youtube tutorial or something, and then you'll pick it up quickly.

That's my usual go-to move for learning a game. Watch It Played is my favorite channel.

We've got to play a few games recently. A few nights ago we had friends over and played Pandemic and Forbidden Desert. We also got that Escape Room game for xmas from friends and my wife and I played the first scenario over cocktails. It's not really a board game, but it's a fun time.

Eh, Ticket to Ride is still a hell of a lot better than Monopoly, or even Catan IMO.

I should really get my games all organized for a picture sometime. Board gaming has become quite the hobby of mine, to the point I buy a game because I'm really interested in it, but then never get around to playing it.

Lately my wife and I have been playing a lot of Ghost Stories. We play Tao monks defending a Chinese village from invading ghosts and monsters, ultimately to defeat the incarnation of Wu-Feng. It's a REALLY hard cooperative game. In the 15-20 times we've played it, we've only won twice, and we are playing the game in easy mode.

Boss Monster is fun because you learn by focusing on your own dungeon and it's super fun at that level. Then you get better and start focusing on what others are making and a whole next level develops. My kids love it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod