Board Games

Solitaire? Is there anything else?

There's actually a cafe in Toronto called Snakes and Lattes where you can play board games and drink coffee. It used to be overcrowded with Hipsters but now that that fad is dying down I'm gonna go and play Exploding Kittens.

used44 said:
Hey if anyone has a local game shop with the two Star Wars Destiny starter packs in stock, I WILL PAY YOU ONE THOUSAND GOLD KRUGERRANDS for one of each starter and a few boosters sent my way.

I went to my local game store to grab sleeves for mice and mystics and asked about destiny. Turns out I would be 13th on the backorder list.

Has anyone played the World of Warcraft game? My sister in law left it here years ago when she moved out and I've been tempted to play it but heard its a time sink. It also sells for like $150.00 used on Amazon so there's that...

I don't own Citadels but end up playing it with friends of mine pretty frequently:

pic548.jpg

It's an easy enough game to pick up but can require some decent strategy depending on who you're playing with.

used44 said:
Does anybody have any good personal experience with a solo play game?

Nearly any co-operative board game can work well as a solo play game. Ghost Stories is a good one as you can just play one monk or even all four on your own which gives you more strategic options.

Samurai Spirit is one I've mostly played solo, by the same designer as Ghost Stories. Re-enacts the movie Seven Samurai, though unlike the movie you lose if any of the Samurai die. It's a simple game to pick up and play, but really challenging to win. I do suggest controlling at least three of the Samurai for a good game, as any less than that is a bit boring. Plays up to seven people as well, if you have a large gaming group.

Pandemic works well solo, though again I would suggest controlling at least two pawns to allow yourself the ability to keep the diseases in check which would be very difficult with just one pawn running around.

Space Hulk: Death Angel is a co-op card game that really does a good job of invoking the claustrophobic feeling of the board game, with genestealers popping up every turn. Probably one of the better solo games available. At least for the next month or so before it gets pulled from the shelves since Games Workshop and Fantasy Flight Games ended their partnership.

I have no experience with the game, but I have heard really good things about Friday.

A bit less of a board game, but still really good fun if you like mysteries is Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. You get a map of London, a directory, some newspapers and then ten cases and sort of like a choose-your-own-adventure book you read the setup to the case and then decide where you want to go. Once you think you know who the suspect is you go to the back of the casebook where there will be a number of questions, some of which have no bearing on the actual case! You write down your answers then check the solution page where Holmes shows off and makes you feel like an idiot. A new edition of the game is due out later this year (with typo corrections and fixes to some broken cases), so if this sounds interesting you may want to wait for that.

033850_42813.jpeg

My brother asked me to buy him a board game called "Mysterium" while I was interstate, recently. I grabbed it for him and we (my brother, his partner, my partner and myself) played it and it was really good.

Mysterium is a lot of fun. It gets a bit bogged down with the setup time, but once you start it's fantastic. I think it works better with at least five players, but it's pretty good at any player count.

I agree. Mysterium is a game that doesn't actually take that long to play, but setting up does take some time... especially when you play for the first time and have to learn all the rules as you go. Once you understand the game's mechanics, it's pretty quick. A typical game takes around thirty to forty minutes, which is nice.

Depending on player count. If you have a full table of six psychics and everyone is discussing all the dream cards, it can go a bit longer. Moreso if they keep guessing incorrectly (and the ghost just wants to bang their head against the wall. But can't, of course, they are a ghost and can't hit anything :p)

Dear Used in my quest to find you Destiny and be the best bro ever, I sat down for a demo game. What happened next was me buying a bunch of boosters and falling into the clutches of a CCG again. Fuck you, man. I've been clean since middle school, now I gotta turn in my sobriety chip

Haha! SORRY! Please, don't actually send me any. I don't even have anyone to play with. I'd literally be buying them just to, like, look at them.

It's a curse but also a total blessing because it's the same reason I've kept myself from spending money on Pokemon (or any other CCG) cards my entire adult life.

In an effort to break myself of the Destiny urges I purchased Death Angel on COMaestro's recommendation. I haven't played it yet but I watched a review and I'm pretty excited. I was pretty thrilled to learn that it's also a Corey Konieczka game. His fourth that I own, I think.

I downloaded the Descent app and have been playing campaigns with the boys. I love that they used an app to remove the need for someone to play the DM role. Really looking forward to them dropping the Imperial Assault version of this.

pic2628062.jpg

My brother recently got a new board game, "Fury of Dracula". Apparently, this board game is unfortunately no longer in production, but my brother managed to get one.

It's actually really good!

For two to five players (we had four players in total but utilized all characters regardless), it's set in Bram Stoker's Dracula universe, having characters like Abraham Van Helsing and Mina Harker. The game involves the four hunters having to try and track down and kill Dracula, while Dracula's goal is essentially to spread fear and despair across Europe.

gw09_board_diagram.jpg

This is the board. It's a map of Europe with big cities and smaller towns, where hunters travel to each location by road, or train. Players are marked on the board as miniatures, Dracula however is invisible, having his own board and will only be seen if/when he is encountered by a hunter. In saying that, Dracula does leave a trail behind as he travels across Europe, leaving behind hidden traps and nasty surprises in the towns/cities.

There's a night and day cycle, where during the day, hunters can do certain things, and during night, they can't do certain things while Dracula can (for example, hunters can only travel during the day, whilst Dracula can only travel at night). There is a week cycle, and I'm pretty sure you've got three in-game weeks to hunt down and kill Dracula. I forget the rules exactly.

The game does take a while. Since we were pretty much learning on the go, it took us about four hours over two nights. The hunters won. I was playing as Van Helsing and I encountered Dracula, somehow surviving a fight with him and dealing some hefty damage (my brother, playing as Dracula, unfortunately made some mistakes during that battle, which may have cost him the game). Eventually, we narrowed down his location, managed to corner him and then the four hunters all attacked Dracula together. Due to being overwhelmed, he was quickly defeated.

But that's kinda the point. Alone, Dracula is very dangerous, but together as a group, you'll gank him... but it's up to Dracula to try and stay one step ahead, dealing damage to the hunters with traps and encounters.

Overall, it's a pretty awesome game to play with friends, as long as you can set aside time for it.

Master_Craig said:
Fury of Dracula

I've had this game for a year and a half now and have only managed to get it to the table once, and even then we only managed about a week of game time before I had to pack it up. I played the 1st edition of this game back in high school and it was very different, but I love how streamlined the new edition is and really want to play it. Sadly the rulebook is full of errors and omissions, so there's a bunch of situations that can come up which are a bit ambiguous.

I've challenged myself to play every board game I own at least once this year, so I'll have to play it in order to accomplish that!

Jonathan_Leack said:
Have any of you been to a board game cafe? I just moved to Washington state and they are all over the place here. I've been going to one every few weeks and am starting to really get into board games.

My favorite game so far is Betrayal At House On The Hill:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/105 ... house-hill

I actually have not been to a board game cafe, though I believe one has opened up relatively nearby. The thing is I own a number of the games they have at these cafes, so if I want to play a game with my friends, I invite them over and we play. I'm glad these places exist though.

Have you tried Betrayal with the Widow's Walk expansion? It adds some new features and has more Haunts. I've only played it with the expansion once so far, but it was a pretty decent Haunt. Some of the originals can be a bit wonky, where one or both sides don't quite understand how the Haunt is supposed to work. A crappy Haunt can really ruin the game. I'm hoping all of the ones in the expansion have been fully proofread.

I actually have not been to a board game cafe, though I believe one has opened up relatively nearby. The thing is I own a number of the games they have at these cafes, so if I want to play a game with my friends, I invite them over and we play. I'm glad these places exist though.

Have you tried Betrayal with the Widow's Walk expansion? It adds some new features and has more Haunts. I've only played it with the expansion once so far, but it was a pretty decent Haunt. Some of the originals can be a bit wonky, where one or both sides don't quite understand how the Haunt is supposed to work. A crappy Haunt can really ruin the game. I'm hoping all of the ones in the expansion have been fully proofread.

I haven't, but I've seen it. I figured I would try out more of the non-expansion scenarios before jumping into the expansion. Excited to try it for better or worse, though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle