Will E-sports catch on?

E-sports: dumb fad or breakout new sport?

• It will never become serious

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E-sports are the way of the future. SC FTW

• i pitty humanity

• Total voters

Glowstick

Rookie
This was a misplaced conversation in another thread, but do you think E-sports (competitive gaming) will ever become an big international success. i thought it was rediculous until someone here posted this article:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/ ... 75,00.html

Personally, i can't think of mainstream North America throwing on the jersey of their favorite clan and cracking some beers to watch the Starcraft Bowl.

Unless they figure out a way to make REAL cash, no. I know i was being boorish to the nub in the other topic just to get his proverbial goat, but E-Sports isn't going to be something that is viable until they can seriously make some bank.
Remember Robot Battle shows? They were all the rage just a few years ago... my bet is that E-Sports won't even get as popular as that in the public eye.

In time, yes. But I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime, assuming there is more than "sticks and stones" to play with after I'm gone.

It will never compare to "real" sports though.

I feel with the exception of the Madden championship shows they play every year on MTV, western culture will never truly embrace e-sports the way we envision.

What it boils down to is numbers (and as Stal stated numbers to drive revenue). People are willing to watch tangible objects destroy each other (people, cars, robots, dogs). They are less likely to watch someone press a bunch of keys and watch a digital being kill another.

The only reason Madden works that way is because Madden is one of the most popular games, especially amongst non-gamers. Also, the show really isn't about them playing: its more about them talking smack, and hanging out with celebrities.

Korea and Japan on the other hand? They have fully embraced e-sports. Blizzard is the equivalent to Nike. Unfortunately most people, especially older generations still see video games as something only losers, geeks and children play with, and as such should be ostracized as immature.

We actually got a channel here that covers the most popular e-sports.
Mostly Counter-strike.
Interviewing players, watching the best matches with commentators.

But yeah, it is on of those discount channels with a host that stutter through his presentation.

I hope that e-sport will catch on.
FIFA09 (Soccer game for you Americans) are actually quite popular here, they also have online competition where you can win stuff from EA games.
And each year there are competitions of being Denmark's best, Europe's best, and the world's best FIFA player.

Big gaming competitions being held for specific games and "E-Sports taking over" are two VERY different things.

They have had videogame competitions for ages. I used to play SOF2 and BF:V in CPL, CAL and TWL leagues, but the idea of it being televised to anything more than a niche audience.

It will never rival professional or armature sporting events in either audience or revenue and the dream that one day it might is a foolish one.

Keep studying or practicing on the bball court kids. Your skillz in CS and WoW aren't gonna make you famous.

I talked about this with my cousin just now at a restaurant, actually. Apparently his friend (he's in college) is verrry good at Halo 3 and recently came first in a 2500 person tournament. He's made a good amount of money in tournaments and such, and although people haven't really come and watched it, there's definitely enough people willing to join (2500 people for a local tournament??) and enough cash involved to start something. All it needs is a good fan base.

And this what annoys me about Americans :p (don't take this the wrong way, as I have many Americans friends and lived there for a while)

But the question wasn't will E-sports be successful in America. It was will it be successful internationally. I think clearly in South Korea it already is, and China can't be that far behind. I know here in New Zealand gaming culture is getting more and more support as the older generations realize it's no longer a niche entertainment for those who can't play rugby.

I would agree, that in the States, it'll be a long time before you see it on national TV with a following like that of the Super Bowl. HOWEVER, to say it isn't bankable is being a bit naive. And let's face it, a whole generation of kids, whether they play for the high school team or make robots, has grown up playing games. It's normal now, it's accepted as possibly the best form of entertainment, and it makes more money than Hollywood. I can certainly see it out grossing the NBA or NFL sometime in the future (admittedly it may be a few generations away in the US).

It's the ultimate sport, because everyone and anyone can compete, so therefore it's marketable to everyone.

And just as a side note, Google Chrome doesn't like this forum at all. Gay :p

Demosthenes said:
HOWEVER, to say it isn't bankable is being a bit naive.

Or, its being more rational understanding the American mindset. As I said, the reason Americans enjoy football, baseball, basketball, Nascar, etc. is because those players have a physical skill. Watching a man catch a football, jump over a defensive player, and run 40 yards is impressive; watching a man hit a ball over 350 yards is impressive; watching a player run past 3 others and make a dunk over a 4th is impressive; etc.

Watching a person sit in front of a computer or have a controller is their hands is not in American eyes.

As well, sports players are generally physically fit individuals. Most gamers are not. Most men would rather strive to look like
adrianpeterson.jpg

than anyone in this picture
hamchook.jpg

Demosthenes said:
It's the ultimate sport, because everyone and anyone can compete, so therefore it's marketable to everyone.

Everyone? Now who is being naive? Last time I checked not everyone in the world had an XBox 360 or a PS3, let alone the Wii - the console designed for non-gamers.

Gaming is not the ultimate sport; it is a hobby. Like many hobbies people can get competitive with it, even successful. Like many hobbies, there are meet ups, conventions, and markets for them. But they are niche markets, not global. Everyone and anyone can play Ultimate Frisbee or tetherball. These are not the ultimate sport, these are not marketable to everyone.

For that matter, no sport is marketable to everyone, not even futbol (soccer).

Has anyone ever watched Madden Nation? Hollllly crap that is a terrible show.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with Trippysmurf. Gaming may be easy and available enough for the average Joe to practice at and get good at, but it's never going to draw the television audience of a major sports league, in America or any other country (except maybe Korea, :p). Equate it to card playing. The World Series of Poker is pretty huge right now. Humongous events are held, millions of dollars are awarded, amateurs can go and try to qualify, sponsorships are earned, finals are televised on niche channels, etc. I think that's as high as competitive gaming should be aiming for. It has a legitimate chance to do as well as WSOP, but to think it could compete with the NFL, MLB, or NBA is laughable.

Anyone ever watch the 90s tv show reboot? if games ever become like that they will be the way of competitive sports of the future!

This is what bugs me about Non-Americans. America is where the money comes from. Did ya notice how during how big financial downturn every other "first world" country had a HUGE drop in stocks and had to bail out banks too.

Yeah.

Please, rest of the world, you may have better healthcare and less body fat- but you all get your handouts from the A-Number 1.

America in the hizzy!

<.<

But seriously- Competitive videogames on the level of the NBA, MLB or NFL is laughable.

This is what bugs me about Non-Americans. America is where the money comes from. Did ya notice how during how big financial downturn every other "first world" country had a HUGE drop in stocks and had to bail out banks too.

Riiight... borrowing all your money from a Central Bank with interest really makes America the RICHEST PLACE ON THE PLANET! Not to mention how much money they owe China... and the fact that America is still a year or 2 BEHIND places like China when it comes to technology.. but that's right.. America is #1.. go play with your guns, it's all that you're good for.

Maybe you are confusing China to Japan. Because China doesn't really have new technology. Or they are hiding it.........

Yeah.

Please, rest of the world, you may have better healthcare and less body fat- but you all get your handouts from the A-Number 1.

America in the hizzy!

<.<

But seriously- Competitive videogames on the level of the NBA, MLB or NFL is laughable

Everythings laughable for you Stal but you can't seem to tell us why most of the time. And no, the rest of the world doesn't run on America's goodwill, nor do we owe you our praise and eternal thanks for killing the nasty nazis for us.

The "financial downturn" has been a global event, it was not America having a recession which led to the rest of us having a recession.

Or, its being more rational understanding the American mindset. As I said, the reason Americans enjoy football, baseball, basketball, Nascar, etc. is because those players have a physical skill. Watching a man catch a football, jump over a defensive player, and run 40 yards is impressive; watching a man hit a ball over 350 yards is impressive; watching a player run past 3 others and make a dunk over a 4th is impressive; etc.

The reason Americans, or anyone anywhere, watches physical sport, is because A: they wish they could do that B:the emotional attachment to a greater cause/group, in this case a sports team. and C: the community found within any competition/hobby/game

And just a point on this, E-Sports would NOT consist of watching a person sit in front of a computer, it would consist of watching the in-game action.

People may wish they looked like . . . (stick your favourite muscle bound super athlete here) but they don't, most look just like the people playing video games, which includes every part of the social spectrum these days, the surfers play just as much WoW as everyone else in my experience. It's a global game in every sense.

Everyone? Now who is being naive? Last time I checked not everyone in the world had an XBox 360 or a PS3, let alone the Wii - the console designed for non-gamers.

Generalization mate, everyone is a generalization. What I'm saying is, gaming is not restricted to nerds and/or people with no friends. It's becoming a social norm to game for everyone.

Maybe you are confusing China to Japan. Because China doesn't really have new technology. Or they are hiding it.........

Japan.. China.. they all look the same to me. I blame CoD:WaW as I was typing that between matches and just finished taking on China in Castle FFA

Demosthenes said:
Everythings laughable for you Stal but you can't seem to tell us why most of the time.

Stating the obvious is no fun... however if you read what I posted I did tell you why. I don't like having to read the forums for myself AND others at the same time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle