Tabletop Corner!

Last night I tried out the Hunt for Food stand alone expansion for Oregon Trail.
It's pretty good! Honestly a bit better than the base game.

That's all I have to say about that.

I've got 4e with The Dungeon, The Highlands and Woodland expansions. I'd be interested to see how different it is from 2e to 4e but the game is a lot of fun. Once me and the roommates got a few games under our belts, there's clearly some balance issues, certain characters are FAR superior than others, some to the point of us simply randomizing character selection rather then taking turns picking. Admittedly, the game relies heavily on the randomness of die rolls, but I think that makes it fun and puts everyone (new players included) on even playing fields for the most part.

In high school, a friend and I would have a tournament of Good, Neutral and Evil characters. We'd each control one character of each alignment, and those characters were on a team. We'd just shuffle up all the characters separated by alignment and deal one out to each of us, so it was random assignment. Alignment changes were not allowed and we'd just play until one team was victorious. Good fun, but it usually took quite a while.

I had the third edition of Talisman. That game was fun until it became a chore of rolling the exact number to get to the next area. It's fine at first, but that became a somewhat miserable experience that turned an hour/90-minute game into a 4.5 hour slog. Along with Runebound, those are games I feel I really enjoyed up until some aspect of it mucked it up for me completely.

And this is one of the flaws of the game. The roll and move element is just mind-numbing after a time, when you really just want to go to a healer, but can't roll the right number to get to the City or Village or anywhere else you could heal. And instead, you land on an adventure space, draw the Dragon, and die!

Last edited:
Yeah, I ended up trading my game in as a result. You have to push a house rule in there in or pray for luck if you don't want the game to get out of hand.

If you're into your party games I'd strongly recommend Funemployed. We had a group of friends visiting last weekend so I picked it up, and it's an excellent improv comedy game if you're in the right circle. Also bought Two Rooms and a Boom but didn't get to try it out.

Because Jason requested more two player games...

When you think of a board game, you probably don't think about quilting. At least, I know I don't. However, that is the theme of Uwe Rosenberg's game, Patchwork.

mfg3505-cx_0.jpg

Patchwork is a game for two players. Each player has a board with a 9x9 grid on it which represents their future quilt. There is another board in the center of the table used for tracking time, and each player has a marker to show where on the time track they are. Lastly, there are numerous tiles representing patches that players will buy to construct their quilts scattered in a circle, with a patch marker that will be explained shortly placed in front of the smallest patch tile. Purchases are made using cardboard buttons, and each player begins with five of these. The person who most recently used a needle gets to go first.

pic2457680.jpg

The objective of the game is to have the most points when both player markers have reached the end of the time track, represented by the buttons, however you lose two points for every square on your player board that is not covered by a patch. The mathematically inclined can figure out this means you start out with a whopping -157 points, so you better start quilting!

Each patch has a button cost and a time cost. The patches may also contain pictures of buttons. A player may choose to purchase one of the three patches that are in front of the marker in the circle of patches, paying the button cost into the bank, and moving their marker on the time track a number of spaces equal to the time cost. The patch marker is then moved to the location of the just purchased patch. That player must then place the patch on their board, preferably in a way that meshes well with any already placed patches. The player furthest back on the time track takes the next turn, meaning it is possible to chain together a number of turns before your opponent gets to go again.

Okay, but how do you get more buttons to buy more patches? Well, there are two methods to gain buttons. Instead of buying a patch, a player can move their marker on the time track to the space directly in front of the other player's marker. The player then gains a number of buttons equal to the number of spaces moved. Additionally, there are button icons on the time track. Whenever a player's marker crosses one of these icons, they take a number of buttons equal to the number of buttons pictured on the patches on their board. This is called 'button income'. It's possible for a player to gain both button income, and get buttons from moving in front of their opponent in the same turn.

One other feature of the time track are the 1x1 patches, which go to the first person to cross over them. There are five total, spaced somewhat evenly across the board, and they are perfect for filling up the small holes that invariably get created as you attempt to piece together all the patches you get. If you can be the first to manage to fill a 7x7 section of your board, you get a bonus token which is worth 7 buttons at the end of the game.

Patchwork is a cute and clever little puzzle, and many newcomers may find themselves with a negative score by the end of the game. It's a balancing act of income and spending, requiring players to know when to purchase patches to fill up their board, but also know when to just move in front of their opponent to collect more buttons.

I highly recommend Patchwork! Who knew quilting could be so entertaining and challenging? While the game is overall easy to play and understand, it does require some thought to play well, so it's perfect for both long-time gamers and those who are just experiencing modern board games for the first time.

So there's a Harry Potter miniature board game coming out soon. Well, by "soon" I mean... probably in a year or two, or three. The company Knight Models will be Kickstarting this game, starting on March 14th, 2018. My partner, a Harry Potter fanatic, is way too excited for this.

Knight Models are responsible for developing miniature board games for both a Batman board game and a separate DC Comics Universe board game.

Here's some images.

harry-potter-kickstater.jpg

Knight-Models-Harry-Potte-Kickstarter-The-Gang.jpg

Knight-Models-Harry-Potter-Girls-1.jpg

Knight-Models-Harry-Potter-Kickstarter-Spread.jpg

Harry-Potter-Box.jpg

and a YouTube video for a tiny bit more information -

Hermione's pose looks rather ridiculous in that picture, but everyone else looks pretty good and the paint jobs are astounding!

I'm very tempted instead, however, by the Batman: Gotham City Chronicles Kickstarter by Monolith Editions coming out on the 27th. Uses the same system as the Conan game they made a year or so ago, which looks astounding for a miniatures game.

Heh, the Batman Kickstarter I mentioned above just went live at noon. A minute later, Kickstarter went down.

Coincidence? I think not!

I got my pledge in though, as did 1255 other people according to the confirmation email I got.

EDIT: And KS is back up, and the game funded. $500k in 14 minutes. Not bad.

So, I covered Sheriff of Nottingham as a game of lying, bluffing, and deal-making, but how about we take out the deal-making portion and make the game entirely about lying and bluffing?

Let's look at Coup!

pic2016054.jpg

Coup is a game for 2-6 players where the objective is to be the last person standing. Thematically, the players represent those in power in a dystopian future, wanting to eliminate the influence of their rivals in order to attain absolute power. In practice, everyone sits at a table with two face-down cards in front of them.

The game consists of fifteen cards and a bunch of cardboard coins. In the fifteen card deck are three copies of five different roles.

pic1881035_md.jpg

From left to right, the roles are Contessa, Ambassador, Captain, Assassin, and Duke.

Each role has either an action, a counteraction, or both. Before the game begins, each player is dealt two cards from the deck, which they look at and then place face down on the table in front of them. They also receive 2 coins. The remaining cards are left on the table as a Court Deck. A player is chosen to start, and they then choose an action to perform.

All players can choose the following actions:
- Income - take 1 coin
- Foreign Aid - take 2 coins
- Coup - pay 7 coins, select a player to discard one of their cards

Then, the various roles have the following actions:
- Duke - Tax - take 3 coins
- Assassin - Assassinate - pay 3 coins, select a player to discard one of their cards
- Ambassador - Exchange - draw 2 cards from the Court Deck, then choose 2 cards from among those drawn and those the player already had and place them on the bottom of the Court Deck. This means a player may end up with the same cards they already had in front of them, one new card, or two completely new cards.
- Captain - Steal - take 2 coins from another player
- Contessa - NO ACTION

Looking at the list of actions, you may be wondering, "Why would any player take Income, when Foreign Aid gives them 2 coins instead of 1?" Well, that's where the counteractions of the roles come in. They are:

- Duke - Block Foreign Aid
- Assassin - NO COUNTERACTION
- Ambassador - Blocks Stealing
- Captain - Blocks Stealing
- Contessa - Blocks Assassination

Other than the Duke, the player targeted is the only one who can Block an action. In the Duke's case, any player with the Duke can block another player from performing the Foreign Aid action. So now you can see that Income is guaranteed to work, whereas Foreign Aid has a high chance of being blocked, depending on the number of players.

Well....actually it has a high chance of being blocked no matter what, because here's the real beauty of Coup. A player can claim to have ANY role when they take their action or declare a counteraction! Have a Contessa and Ambassador in front of you but want a bunch of money? Say you are using your Duke's power to Tax and take 3 coins from the bank. Who's going to stop you?

In truth, anyone. Whenever someone makes a claim for an action or a counteraction, any player can challenge the claim. If challenged a player needs to reveal the card they claimed. If they don't have it, they must turn one of the cards in front of them face up and no longer has access to that card, and whatever action or counteraction they were attempting is cancelled. If they do have it, the player who challenged them must turn one of their cards face up. The challenged player then has to place their revealed card back in the Court Deck, shuffle it, and draw a new card.

If both of their cards are face up, a player is out of the game.

The ability to lie about what you have or to challenge others can lead to some very dangerous plays. For example, Player 1 pays 3 coins to Assassinate one of Player 2's cards. Player 2 will lose one of their cards unless they claim to have the Contessa or challenge that Player 1 has an Assassin. If Player 2 challenges Player 1 and is incorrect, then one card will be turned face up for being wrong, and their other card will be turned face up for the successful Assassination! Alternately, if Player 2 claims to have a Contessa, Player 1 (or any player) can choose to challenge that claim. If the challenge is correct, Player 2 would again lose both cards! But, of course, all the players would know this, so surely Player 2 wouldn't be so foolish as to claim to have a Contessa and not have one, right? A dangerous bluff, but one that can pay off if it works.

If a player has 10 or more coins, they MUST perform the Coup action on their turn, which is an unblockable attack on another player. No one wants their opponents to have enough money for the Coup action, so everyone will be rushing to steal money using Captains or trying to get the other players out quickly with Assassins, whether they actually have these roles or not. With only three of each role, it's hilarious when you've got five people claiming to have the Duke so they can Tax on their turns, or everyone seems to have a Captain to Steal or block Stealing. Also, it's both amazing but limiting to have two of the same card in front of you, as that means there can only be one more at the table, giving you better odds at calling someone's bluff, but limiting the actions you can safely perform.

The average game of Coup lasts about 15 minutes, meaning it's easy to fit a number of games in a game night, or even during a lunch break at work if your co-workers are amenable. It's light and breezy, so it's great as a warm-up game, or something to end the night with, or if everyone's having fun with it, it can just be replayed again and again for hours. Personally I like it as filler, but I'd rarely if ever turn down a game of Coup.

There is also an expansion called Coup: Reformation which adds another 15 cards, allowing up to 10 players, and also puts players into one of two factions, where the players can only target members of the opposing faction until just one faction remains, at which time it devolves into the infighting of the base game. I have never played using the expansion, so I cannot comment upon it, but I do like the idea of being able to handle more players in the game, though this would mean that those eliminated early would likely have a longer wait before the next game.

For under $15, it's hard not to recommend Coup for any but those who cannot tell a lie to save their life.

Coup is fun! We played that at PAX AUS last year. It's a great party game that's so quick to play, which makes it great.

pic3016500.jpg

My brother recently got "Dead of Winter", a post apocalyptic zombie game set in a winter wasteland. Unlike zombie games such as Zombicide, this game does contain a degree of combat but it's more about survival as a group/society (or colony) and making critical decisions. On top of that, it's possible for one or more players to essentially betray the colony, as all players are secretly given their own "agenda" to try and win the game. It's also super easy to die in this game, so it is quite challenging. It's fun, but it is a fairly time consuming game, especially when you're just learning the rules.

We've only played two games so far but we've gotten a lot better at it. The first game was hard and took a while because we were so new to the game and we had to learn the rules.

In saying that, we do occasionally forget to do things.

Coup is fun! We played that at PAX AUS last year. It's a great party game that's so quick to play, which makes it great.

I've owned Coup for a few years but haven't really played it with a large group as intended. We always end up playing our favorite fast card game Love Letter instead.

71DBOZSnSOL._SX355_.jpg

My friends got me a bunch of things for my 30th birthday, but what they forgot to give me (and they gave me just recently) is this little Rick and Morty card game, based off the "Total Rickall" episode in Season 2.

I haven't tried it yet, but I am a fan of Rick and Morty and this does sound fun.

My brother recently got "Dead of Winter", a post apocalyptic zombie game set in a winter wasteland. Unlike zombie games such as Zombicide, this game does contain a degree of combat but it's more about survival as a group/society (or colony) and making critical decisions. On top of that, it's possible for one or more players to essentially betray the colony, as all players are secretly given their own "agenda" to try and win the game. It's also super easy to die in this game, so it is quite challenging. It's fun, but it is a fairly time consuming game, especially when you're just learning the rules.

Dead of Winter is a great game, but a little wonky with all the little minutiae that can crop up with the crossroads cards or special abilities mixed with equipment, etc. We find it drags on a little too long with five players and think four players is probably the sweet spot. Oh, and there should only be one player that can have a Betrayer objective if you are playing by the rules. I do know some groups like to mix things up and include multiple Betrayer objective cards in the initial set up for fun.

EDIT: And Happy Belated Birthday!

Haha, thanks guys! My birthday is indeed belated, it's back in December on the 30th. :p My mates gave me a bunch of things on that day, but they forgot to give me the Rick and Morty deck, which is what they gave me to me recently.

When we played Dead of Winter, we only had three players. I imagine five players would probably feel lengthy, especially if you're playing a scenario that has ten rounds or so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Playnft