Soooo.. Non-Violent v. Violent Protest

It may not be easy or peaceful following change, but that's the way if often goes, as we all know. I hope the good has already happened, though, and that it will help sort out the mess on its own. I look forward to seeing how other governments react.

One of the most heartbreaking stories for me is the journalist who was told that she could only report the pro-government side of the story, and was encouraged to lie about what was really going on with protests. I'd be one wild mofo if anyone tried to pull that on me. I don't know how any of them are maintaining that there's freedom of the press.

I just watched CNN for a bit and had to turn it off after that woman seemed wholly disinterested in what the correspondent in Egypt had to say, waiting impatiently with a curt "Sure" now and then, only to then tell the audience that 'Now it's time for you to share your opinion on the today's number-one topic -- that's right, The Superbowl.' Fuuuck offfff. I'm aware that I'm watching CNN and all. I'm jus' sayin'.

Is anyone following this still? Mubarak is supposed to be making some kind of address soon... He may finally be going... Just a heads up.

Watching intently right now....it's almost like a festival with the news feed right now.

The people are asking for it, the rumor is he will step down. Maybe the moment of violence is finally over.

Yeah...

There was a bit of news I just heard that some source (can't recall) is saying that he is planning on saying that he'll transfer power, and amend some things, but not step aside. I don't know what that means.

I've been following intensely for days now, it's too soon to judge what's gonna happen but the way i see it. Mubarak will either step down and a government that will respect the constitution and human rights will take place, or he'll say something REALLY stupid and the violence will continue.

But i swear, if he'll say "I want to oversee the new government" again one more time, I'll fly to Egypt to pull a duke nukem down his throat!

:nono:

I can't believe it.

I like the headlines about waving shoes... I can't believe Mubarak didn't get it. It wasn't just that he said he was going to continue to oversee transition, but he tried all that Nationalism and "my people" bs. I mean............ perils of terrorists, right?

The more I read up on the Egypt situation, I just realize more and more how retarded the whole situation is. Please don't tell me he is going to switch control to his Vice President...who wasn't elected...who he put in place... I fully understand the all or nothing attitude of these protestors. Everything he has promised just smacks of broken promises."

Sigh... In the end, he pretty much repeated what he said for the past week ecept he added that the people that died were martyr for the future (did he also include the one he tortured and killed in the past 30 years?). It would of been too beautiful if he would of resigned instead. Now he thinks he made a job well done... Does he really think that huge crowd will disperse the next day? That idiot!

Now i can picture the burning cars in the next few weeks... Nice job Mubarak.

I don't think that he expects the crowds to go away, but I do think that he thought his speech would somehow appease them a bit. When they were first conducting interviews a couple weeks ago, the response was along the lines of "What do you want? We are listening to your demands and changing policies!" Again there is this sense of not understanding what issues are at hand. That kind of change isn't enough, but he's just unwilling to move.

In some ways, he addresses a real concern, which is what happens during that interim where there is no government. And we can certainly talk about that. I mean, that's what he should have focused on, rather than all that other crap. He already promised not to run again in the election.

I'm just catching the VP's speech now, and I almost had higher hopes, because it started off a bit more honestly... But no. Same tactics, worse calls for people to disperse and forget about what happened. "Let's join hands..." seriously? Join hands? Against the PERILS OF CHAOS, because that's clearly our primary fear. I don't even.

***Huge-ass Edit: ***
MUBARAK STEPS DOWN!

OH GOD. THE CHAOS.

I won't be able to follow the immediate aftermath of this very closely today, unfortunately... Hopefully this is really something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod