Soooo.. Non-Violent v. Violent Protest

That's exactly right.

I stayed up watching the events unfold, and I couldn't believe the numbers of people who gathered to protest and urge the government to listen to their demands, stating that they no longer fear the government.

The best tweet I read about the whole thing just said "WORST. CURFEW. EVER." =)

If I recall correctly, it began as a bald joke gone wrong, and just escalated from there. Much like how the English Civil War began because of a prank involving high amounts of glue in the hats of a nobleman.

Longo_2_guns said:
If I recall correctly, it began as a bald joke gone wrong, and just escalated from there. Much like how the English Civil War began because of a prank involving high amounts of glue in the hats of a nobleman.
I support this 100% accurate post.

Last I heard right now it's just chaotic, so I think non-violence is not going to happen anymore. But honestly I think a non-violent action at this point is moot. The next few days are going to be interesting to say the least, and with ripple effects going on in Yemen and other countries I have a feeling that what Tunisia started might just create waves for several regimes under a dictatorship.

Green_Lantern said:
So I haven't really been paying attention...How did this whole thing start out?

WikiLeaks put the Tunisian government on blast as being corrupt, reinforcing what the Tunisian people had already known. Enough is enough, it's time for a change. would've happened either way

God bless the Internet.
If the Egyptian gov't could've completely blacked out communication like they had intended and like Iran was able to slightly do - then I guarantee there would've been tons of human rights violations and not as many people would be out and about now. I think they're going to get Mubarak to step down if this continues another day. (He may just be sitting back in his palace eating well and waiting them out - I can't believe he hasn't cut the power in the Cairo and let the people eat themselves. Kill the power, kill the cell phones and ultimately their access to the web).

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

The egyptian people have made one mistake IMO. They have a figurehead. So now instead of getting all of their demands, he will compromise and give the people a watered down version of what they wanted.

As soon as Mobarak announced a VP, the people said eff that. Their immediate wtf reaction and call for the VP to go away made me laugh. I can't remember what position this guy was, but one of the politicians was trying to make it out like this is what the people wanted, by putting it under the blanket call of "reform". Look, we're changing things! Aren't you satisfied? (Are you not entertained?) None of the people who were interviewed seemed to understand that the people just really,really want the dude to step down, and that's it. I'm glad that you linked to Al Jazeera, UrbanMasque -- I think the people there have done phenomenal work, and I quite enjoyed the interviews that were conducted.

I think it's right to say that Tunisia has started this, to some extent. I do hope that Egypt can manage to hold on to the peaceful protesting that's going on. Of course it isn't all peaceful, but it certainly isn't what I would call violent. Not yet. There are pockets of people urging more and more people in other countries to rise up and fight for their rights. I think it's quite different a thing to do it in Egypt as opposed to Tunisia or another country, however.

If you're talking about ElBaradei, then it's not really like they've collectively elected him as a face for them. Many people disagree with accepting him as some kind of leader, and I think it's a good thing to deemphasize his importance in these protests.

I wish they would stop talking about the american politicians. All they're showing are the empty comments. Yes, Obama, Clinton, it would be nice and preferable if there were a smooth, peaceful, orderly transition of power. Very helpful. :p

Agent Provocateurs tossing Molotov cocktails at Anti-government protesters.
Mubarack supporters (backed by the police) coming out vowing blood.

This thing should be coming to a head pretty soon.

UrbanMasque said:
Agent Provocateurs tossing Molotov cocktails at Anti-government protesters.
Mubarack supporters (backed by the police) coming out vowing blood.

This thing should be coming to a head pretty soon.

When Anderson Cooper gets punched in the face by rioting people...you know shit just got real....

^ Dude, I've got this streaming while i'm at work - watching the mob is CRAZY! Anderson needs to get out of these countries - he looked like an idiot in Haiti, and he looks like a tool in Egypt. I like the guy, but stick to covering US emergencies - let al-jazerra handle the man-S**t. Its kinda like watching 300, people trying to hold the line against projectiles, horses, and stones. I saw a pro Mubarak support get SWALLOWED up by the mob.

All of Egypt's allies need to disown him and de-legitimatize his rule. Then he will step down.

Anderson is awesome! Dude is like pure manliness.

As for the mob.....I was afraid this would happen. Right now officials say 3 dead and hundreds injured. I doubt that is even true.

Finally read up on this a bit. I guess what baffles me is that Mubarak thinks he can just wait it out. At what point do you realize "this is out of my control." And the people aren't being cowed.

Also, this would never had happened had the Egyptians had the right to bear arms. ;) :roll: ;)

Bretimus_v2 said:
Also, this would never had happened had the Egyptians had the right to bear arms. ;) :roll: ;)

In the states,by day 2, we would've been killing each other. Easily 200 dead across the good 'ol US of A.
God bless the Molotov Cocktail.

double post w/ a good message:

Protesting to see results:
greece_span.jpg

94876_mideast_egypt_protest_17976217jpg.jpg

Protesting to feel good:
protest.jpg

apv_11-793788.jpg

iraq_war_protest.jpg

Questions?

Urban is truly an absolute master of the argument. How can I oppose such flawless representations such as that?

Longo_2_guns said:
Urban is truly an absolute master of the argument. How can I oppose such flawless representations such as that?

Can't argue with facts. Mubarak probably is leaving. I wonder what would've happened if they would've tried to peacefully assemble in Egypt.
probably THIS!:
kent-state-u--may-4--1970--ohio--2795-20080924-110.jpg

Yes, just like how the French managed to get rid of Louis XVI with their own violent revolution, leaving them in a period of peace, prosperity, and freedom. Same with the Russian revolution.

Since there's gonna be a power vacuum as he leaves, and no real restrictions or methods as to how to deal with it in place, it's hard to honestly say that such a sudden shift in power is going to be a good thing.

Also, I was poking fun at you for your extremely biased sample. You should work for Fox News.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle