Skimming games

Ted_Wolff

Rookie
Should gamers be allowed to skip through games much as readers can skip through books or viewers through movies or listeners through CDs?

You're right. I did a horrible job at framing my discussion, thus defeating my own point and contradicting some of my own opinions.

Please see the edited first post and reply as you wish.

I like that post a lot more. In all honesty I don't think they should, if they want to see an abridged version of the game they can go to YouTube and check out speed runs of the game. Or simply see the game's highlight cinematics. But to be allowed to skim through the game its self kind of defeats the whole purpose of beating the game. I don't want to pay the ridiculous prices they set on a game today only to pop it into my system and have everything unlocked already.

Umm, I was fine with the first edition. You probably could have made it a blog post to avoid these thread skimmers.

I think that it is annoying that they lock you out of the videos and stuff like that. Like all the special endings for RE or MGS1. I think that being a little less stingy with those expensive cutscenes would be nice.

But I look at gaming as more of a hobby akin to model airplane building. Part of the hobby is completing the project. You have a feeling of accomplishment at having taken some of your money and time and spent it on something frivolous.

Possibly have everything be unlocked upon completion of the game (unless there are unlocks for muLtiplayer)? That could work.

And I agree with Bretimus actually, if you had made this a blog post I would have read it, but as a forum post it was too long

So I finally played Madworld (Wii) last night with one of my roomies. I hadn't opened it since I got it a couple months ago and I just wanted to try it out by playing multiplayer with him. Imagine my disappointment upon finding out we could only play one multiplayer level because the others had to be unlocked in single player. A good example of when a game should've been skimmable. Why hold back multiplayer enjoyment and hinge it on the completion of what one person does by himself?

In any event, we played for about 10 minutes and moved on to another game. Sure, I'll go back and experience single player and unlock more because it seems like an interesting game, but what a deflating first-play experience.

I like that once you complete a once over play through, that you can skip to specific chapters.

However I also hate when games only give you certain features (like multiplayer) after you beat the game. Now getting bonus content like behind the scenes and extra stages is one thing, but a whole feature of the game is crap.

Also, like on the first Xbox, I didn't like that to name your Xbox you had to have DOA 3 and play on a lan.

My girlfriend mentioned an interesting reason why games should have open content: research.

She does research with the Wii pertaining to fitness and for her study they couldn't use certain things in Wii Sports because they were locked.

As we see game content and audiences grow we'll see more and more people with varied uses for games. Developers will need to wake up to this sooner or later.

Every game should have chapter/part selection in it after you pass it. It's not fun to play through some tedious parts again, so you would get to the great parts. RPG's are a bit different of course. Maybe some auto-grind option?

I do agree, ted. It seems funny in this day and age that games operate on such a reward basis. Throughout the evolution that's taken place in my lifetime, games and their respective hardware have become more and more expensive, yet as a medium they still insist on operating on a reward basis.

I can understand a paced progression in RPGs driven by story, but only in the context of plot. Why should I have to level up my character? It's a predictable reality that by the end of an RPG your character will be a force to be reckoned with within the world he or she inhabits. Why should I, an adult, not be able to make the decision to be as powerful from the beginning? Because someone else thinks it will cheapen an experience I have paid for?

It suggests a rather surreptitious arrogance on the part of developers and certain fan lobbies that they should dictate how I am to enjoy a product of not inconsiderable cost. When I was small I remember strapping plastic bags to my batman toy, hurling him amongst the tree tops and giggling as he sailed down. Albeit that is modification, but the point I'm making is we are free to do with all other chattels what we would wish. When it comes to games, however, it seems we must be subjected to an enforced gauntlet to achieve a complete product.

I think it's quite undeniable that 'achievements' have become a hallmark of this gaming generation. People enthuse about them to different degrees across many genres. It seems odd to me that while unlocking many achievements will give you a score to show that you enjoy doing so, you still are forced through many things you'd otherwise circumvent in the games themselves! While achievements leave it up to the player to decide how much they want to achieve while being able to continue through the levels and narrative, most games do not. Let's take the force unleashed. There was a level on this in which you had to bring down a star destroyer. Unfortunately, to do so meant wrangling with an erratic and badly conceived control system. Yet to continue a game I'd paid for, I had to engage with it. It took me ages! I was irate. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 asks you if you'd like to skip a mission that might offend you. I was offended by the star destroyer sequence in the force unleashed. Where's my 'skip' function?!

I think it's high time the industry re-evaluated its antiquated views on progression!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod