Scrabble Game

thetank said:
Keeping Up With The Joneses!
You got it!

Wikipedia helped me come up with hints for this one:
"Keeping up with the Joneses" is an idiom in many parts of the English-speaking world referring to the comparison to one's neighbor as a benchmark for social class or the accumulation of material goods. To fail to "keep up with the Joneses" is perceived as demonstrating socio-economic or cultural inferiority.

The phrase was popularized when a comic strip of the same name was created by cartoonist Arthur R. Momand. The strip debuted in 1913, distributed by Associated Newspapers. The strip ran in American newspapers for 26 years, and was eventually adapted into books, films, and musical comedies.
Leaderboard:
Green_Lantern - 2
thetank - 2
Bretimus_v2 - 1
Paradox - 1
UghRochester - 1

ROUND 8

OTASPEEOSHESEVUTENRIRF

3 words

Hint: Voice of the people

Yup!

The "House of Representatives" is comprised of, errrr, representatives of a specific congressional district.

Some useless trivia: (Who knows, you may be on Jeopardy one day).
- The number of representatives with full voting rights is 435.
- The number of representatives per state is proportionate to population.
- The most populous state is California, with 53 representatives.
- There are seven states with only one representatvie: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming.

Leaderboard:
Green_Lantern - 3
thetank - 2
Bretimus_v2 - 1
Paradox - 1
UghRochester - 1

ROUND 9

AEGUHLTOTBBEFTEL

Four words

Hints: Offensive/ Beer belly/ Surprise

Good one!

I was hoping "offensive" would be a good curve ball, considering it could be also taken as "insulting."

The Battle of the Bulge (16 December 1944 – 25 January 1945) was a major German offensive campaign launched through the densely forested Ardennes region of Wallonia in Belgium, France, and Luxembourg on the Western Front toward the end of World War II in Europe. United States forces bore the brunt of the attack and incurred their highest casualties for any operation during the war. The battle also severely depleted Germany's armored forces on the western front which Germany was largely unable to replace.

The phrase "Battle of the Bulge" was coined by contemporary press to describe the way the Allied front line bulged inward on wartime news maps and became the most widely used name for the battle.

- Excerpts from Wikipedia

Leaderboard:
Green_Lantern - 3
thetank - 3
Bretimus_v2 - 1
Paradox - 1
UghRochester - 1

ROUND 10

RPTVCSRGECOAHI

Hints: Paths/ Lossless/ US SAGE air defense system

Vector graphics!

I was stuck on the air defense at first. In my head, I associate that with people hunched over watching those black and green radar screens, then I realized that fit.

Heh, I like the way you think!

- Vectors are also referred to as "paths."
- One advantage vector graphics had over pixel graphics is that images could be magnified infinitely without quality loss.
- The US SAGE air defense system was one of the first organizations to use vector graphics displays.

Leaderboard:
Green_Lantern - 3
thetank - 3
Paradox - 2
Bretimus_v2 - 1
UghRochester - 1

ROUND 11

LHHERVLOIET

3 words

Milestone/ Ancient/ AWOL

Welcome, sir! You're on the board!

Aside from the more common interpretation of old age, "Over the hill" can also refer to escaping from prison or the military.

Leaderboard:
Green_Lantern - 3
thetank - 3
Paradox - 2
Bretimus_v2 - 1
De-Ting - 1
UghRochester - 1

ROUND 12

CEAMBIFIOLILR

Two words

Hints: Pioneer/ Survival/ 1674

That's correct!

Microorganisms were first discovered in 1674 by Antonie van Leeuwenhoek using a microscope that he developed himself.

I've been listening to Neil Degrasse Tyson and Bill Nye the Science Guy discuss Panspermia on Star Talk Radio: a very interesting theory that suggests life can be dispersed throughout the universe by cosmic collisions from entities like comets or meteors that have microbial life traveling along with them.

Leaderboard:
Green_Lantern - 4
thetank - 3
Paradox - 2
Bretimus_v2 - 1
De-Ting - 1
UghRochester - 1

ROUND 13

RWHTTAEEREEYE

Four words

Hints: Child/ antagonize/ Movie and Televsion

Yup!

"Are we there yet?" is an age-old phrase that has also been used as the title for a 2005 movie and a TV series spanning from 2010 to 2012.

Leaderboard:
Green_Lantern - 5
thetank - 3
Paradox - 2
Bretimus_v2 - 1
De-Ting - 1
UghRochester - 1

ROUND 14

DONFERNESHRNWEELCEWNVITTDAOOS

Six words

Hints: Achievement/ Antiquated/ Civilization

Members online