Edited title; I just learned what "anagram" really means. :oops:

-------------------------------------------

Stumpers:

From Round 16:

HRLEVASDDCRDAHIAYWINT

Four words

Hints: Whitefish/ Sable/ Cream cheese/ Capers/ Onions

Oedipus Rex.

It took a while to realize it wasn't someone who was a Greek playwright, but rather something that was a Greek playwright and then the other clues fit.

Excellent!

I'll explain the hints for others:
Greek Playwright - Sophocles tragedy entitled "Oedipus the King"
Neo Classicism - Igor Stravinsky, during his coined "Neoclassical" period, composed an opera entitled, "Oedipus Rex."
Psychoanalysis - Sigmund Freud's "Oedipus complex"

Let's keep score for fun.

Leaderboard:
Paradox - 1

ROUND 2

XTEEOYHURTTFICNEWTN

Three words

Hints: Disney's Robin Hood/ Entertainment/ Era

Keep those thoughts to yourself!

Leaderboard:
Green_Lantern - 2
Paradox - 1

ROUND 4

KBTECBOSOIMTYA

Five words

Hints: Quote/ Article of clothing/ Infancy

Sock it to me baby?

Edit: Really, Bret, really? I've been racking my brain on this one and you beat me by 2 minutes. :(

Bretimus_v2 said:
Sock it to me baby
That's it!

The phrase was coined in 1968 but we all know it from the ol' TMNT movie. Ninjitsu!

Leaderboard:
Green_Lantern - 2
Bretimus_v2 - 1
Paradox - 1

ROUND 5

EPNBTPONAANOALOER

Two words

Hints: Change/ Beethoven symphony/ Appearances can be deceiving

Wow, nice job! I thought that one would be tricky.

Once a great admirer, Beethoven originally dedicated his third symphony to Napoleon. The score was actually entitled "Bonaparte." However, upon learning Napoleon claiming himself as Emperor of France in 1804, Beethoven purportedly flew into a fit of rage and shredded the manuscript announcing, "So he is no more than a common mortal! Now, too, he will tread under foot all the rights of Man; indulge only his ambition. Now he will think himself superior to all men; become a tyrant!"

Leaderboard:
Green_Lantern - 2
Bretimus_v2 - 1
Paradox - 1
UghRochester - 1

ROUND 6

OGSHSIONBG

Two words

Hints: Architect/ CERN/ God

Symphony 3 I think? Can't remember. I only know this from the trivia game in GR Chat. This actually was a word scrambler from there lol

Edit: Didn't read Tan's post

Yes, Symphony no. 3 - Sinfonia Eroica - "Heroic Symphony: composed to celebrate the memory of a great man"
In writing this symphony, Beethoven had been thinking of Buonaparte, but Buonaparte while he was First Consul. At that time Beethoven had the highest esteem for him, and compared him to the greatest consuls of Ancient Rome. Not only I, but many of Beethoven's closer friends, saw this symphony on his table, beautifully copied in manuscript, with the word "Buonaparte" inscribed at the very top of the title-page and "Ludwig van Beethoven" at the very bottom ...

I was the first to tell him the news that Buonaparte had declared himself Emperor, whereupon he broke into a rage and exclaimed, "So he is no more than a common mortal! Now, too, he will tread under foot all the rights of Man, indulge only his ambition; now he will think himself superior to all men, become a tyrant!" Beethoven went to the table, seized the top of the title-page, tore it in half and threw it on the floor. The page had to be recopied, and it was only now that the symphony received the title Sinfonia eroica.

- Beethoven's secretary, Ferdinand Ries

thetank said:
Higgs Boson!
You are correct!

The Higgs Boson, often referred to as the "God particle," is the catalyst in the construction of CERN's Large Hadron Collider.

Leaderboard:
Green_Lantern - 2
Bretimus_v2 - 1
Paradox - 1
thetank - 1
UghRochester - 1

ROUND 7

ESIENEKWUPOEJTENHTSGHPI

Five words

Hints: Comic strip/ Benchmark/ Economy

Members online

No members online now.