Prototype

malakian said:
I've completed both and I have to say, it's definitely the better game, even for non spidey fans. Every core pillar of the game is similar and WOS does them better. It is not a perfect game, by any means. Missions really drag on some times, and you wind up having to do the same thing 20 times, but this is just as often the case in prototype. If you enjoyed prototype, you'll enjoy web of shadows. It's just more fun. Also Mercer moves pretty smoothly in prototype, but spiderman is built for it. Feels much, much cooler to jet through the city as spidey.

While GR missed the boat on a stark comparison of how prototype rips it off, credit to GR for recognising WOS as the better game when it comes to review scores. People like IGN just seem to think 'oh it's a blockbuster, give it 7.5', but dished our friend spidey with a 6.5 or something despite being objectively better. Poor show.

I smell a big Spiderman fanboy. Har har. On a serious note, IGN has given many blockbusters high scores, I don't see why they'd give it a bad score just because it's a blockbuster. The reviewer probably simply didn't enjoy it that much. I often agree with their scores. Also, I'd say GR's review of a C+ is pretty spot on with a 7.5, but I don't see you guys bashing GR's score.

I do however disagree with GR's review about Prototype, it should be at least a B according to their grading system

daemon45 said:
I haven't played either game, though I've been seriously thinking about picking up one of them. In fact, I probably would have picked up WoS already if a.) I wasn't trying to save money and b.) I didn't keep forgetting which Spidey game got the better review here at GR every time I'm at the store.

I'm just posting to ask: out of everyone that thinks these in-game renderings of NY are bland and generic, how many have actually been there? I lived there from '01 to '07, and I never noticed a staggering display of architectural talent in the buildings. It seems that the main gripe about the city in both games is that the buildings are ugly, generic boxes. I'm sad to say, that's the majority of the buildings IRL (of course, it depends on which area of the city you go to; some have more ugly boxes than others). If you want pretty buildings, get a game based in Sydney.

Post-post: I just watched the GameTrailers review of Prototype, and from what I saw they did a pretty good job of recreating NYC.

The feeling of it being generic is not so much about the buildings as it is about the crowd, both the people and the cars just move around aimlessly like mindless husks. The city just doesn't feel alive.

But as long as i can throw the mindless husks around like ragdolls i don't really care :twisted:

Tykk said:
daemon45 said:
I haven't played either game, though I've been seriously thinking about picking up one of them. In fact, I probably would have picked up WoS already if a.) I wasn't trying to save money and b.) I didn't keep forgetting which Spidey game got the better review here at GR every time I'm at the store.

I'm just posting to ask: out of everyone that thinks these in-game renderings of NY are bland and generic, how many have actually been there? I lived there from '01 to '07, and I never noticed a staggering display of architectural talent in the buildings. It seems that the main gripe about the city in both games is that the buildings are ugly, generic boxes. I'm sad to say, that's the majority of the buildings IRL (of course, it depends on which area of the city you go to; some have more ugly boxes than others). If you want pretty buildings, get a game based in Sydney.

Post-post: I just watched the GameTrailers review of Prototype, and from what I saw they did a pretty good job of recreating NYC.

The feeling of it being generic is not so much about the buildings as it is about the crowd, both the people and the cars just move around aimlessly like mindless husks. The city just doesn't feel alive.

But as long as i can throw the mindless husks around like ragdolls i don't really care :twisted:

Yeah Tykk's post pretty much gets it right, but I really have been to NYC and I have to say just certain things about mist digital renderings of the city just don't feel right to me. Something else other than the crowds and the cars feels missing, and sure it was alright for Spider-Man 2 the game to have the odd feel because it was last generation, but this time I want that something missing to be there. I know they can do it since the systems have the hardware.

^Yeah that too, the only free roaming game that i feel has the best NYC layout is GTA IV. I greatly appretiated how well the area looked

schimmel said:
Yeah Tykk's post pretty much gets it right, but I really have been to NYC and I have to say just certain things about mist digital renderings of the city just don't feel right to me. Something else other than the crowds and the cars feels missing, and sure it was alright for Spider-Man 2 the game to have the odd feel because it was last generation, but this time I want that something missing to be there. I know they can do it since the systems have the hardware.

One thing that i have yet to see done right and is essential for immersion is the sound. Devs never seen to get the sounds of the city right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod