Manhunt 2 banned in Britain

Paradox

Soaring Phoenix
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/fun.games/06/19/videogames.manhunt.reut/index.html

i do agree that content such as what is in this game should be kept away from kids, but the first manhunt was given the british equivilant of AO. why not this one, rather than a ban? however, rockstar can appeal and based on precedent (carmageddons ban was overturned) theres a decent chance the ban could be lifted.

this action by britain has already sparked a fire with a group in boston calling for a similar ban or at least an AO rating here in america. i particularly liked this little gem:

stupid said:
"An "Adults Only" rating is the only way to limit children's exposure to this unique combination of horrific violence and interactivity,"

yeah, because the parents have absolutly no responsibility in this regard. :roll:

EDIT: i just now saw greys link about this in the gaming cognition topic. i guess consider this topic an expansion.

That is ridiculous. Games are not just for kids. They have no right to ban something just because they think it is unsuitable for children. Manhunt is clearly a game meant for adults, hence the Adults Only rating. Adults don't need the country to be their nannies.

on a side note, everytime i read that quote, i hear it in the voice of shiela from south park. ya know? kyles mom. watchers of the show and movie should understand.

Countries should issure controlled breeding to keep stupid people like them from ever being born.

Paradox said:
i do agree that content such as what is in this game should be kept away from kids, but the first manhunt was given the british equivilant of AO. why not this one, rather than a ban? however, rockstar can appeal and based on precedent (carmageddons ban was overturned) theres a decent chance the ban could be lifted.

Actually Manhunt had more than that. It was released with an 18 certificate (Our equivalent of an AO rating) and a few months after its release the game could only be bought by an adult who asked about it at the checkout in stores, it was removed from shelf display. This was because the game has been blamed for inspiring the murder of Stefan Pakeerah three years ago.
The funny thing is, if I actually liked the Manhunt games, I could just import it from mainland Europe.

This just shows that the British need to grow a pair. Come on guys, when did a little snuff hurt anyone? Well I guess except for the people who get killed, when did snuff ever hurt anyone?

Games provide an excellent scapegoat for lousy parents and psycho kids. It's the same with any medium but never fails to sicken me.

Sam

grandmagoodtimes said:
This just shows that the British need to grow a pair.

Coming from somebody in a country that's afraid to show a pair of breasts on TV. We actually have much lighter censors than in the US, this the only case I can think of where we've over-reacted on censorship in entertainment.

Perhaps because the murdering of women and the like in the game make it to harsh, but then again GTA does it all the time.

It should be overturned for sure. No reason not to in my mind.

The whole GTA: San Andreas "Hot Coffee" fiasco almost slipped right under the radar here. It got a few "in other news!" spots under entertainment news sections for a week or so, but that was about it. Hardly exciting.

Paradox said:
on a side note, everytime i read that quote, i hear it in the voice of shiela from south park. ya know? kyles mom. watchers of the show and movie should understand.
Yeah, soon they'll be blaming canada!

I thought the purpose of a rating label was to clearly delineate who the game so retailers could appropriately differentiate and sell the game, and not some other arbitrary measure.

I'm sure rockstar is loving this since it is atracting attention to the game.

Now people will want to play it to see what all the fuss is about!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle