Is twitter really all that great?

Kinda like Shaft, but I don't even have a Twitter account. So, while I don't really "follow' anybody, I will occasionally check out @sportsguy33 or @conanobrien or whatever.

It's the stupidest thing, but it's not really the stupidest thing.

I think Twitter began as a tween website for girls who wanted to know everything Robert Patterson was doing and now it's developed into a social network for everybody.

Sort of like how facebook was exclusive to college kids so their parents couldn't see their profile. And then hit the mainstream where everybody grabbed an account and suddenly it became impossible to keep secrets.

I never joined the facebook revolution, I do have friends... I just see them in real life. I doubt I'd ever get a twitter account.

If I can recall, Stalfros is Italian therefore his tweets are all pretty much "HEY! You get outta my store before I stick my foot up-a your ass!"

Wes said:
I think Twitter began as a tween website for girls who wanted to know everything Robert Patterson was doing and now it's developed into a social network for everybody.

Sort of like how facebook was exclusive to college kids so their parents couldn't see their profile. And then hit the mainstream where everybody grabbed an account and suddenly it became impossible to keep secrets.

It started at SXSW in 2006 as a way to find out what bands were playing where and who was talking at what area of the convention.

I'm telling you guys, you use it wrong.

You must not take public transit to work Stal. Otherwise you'd see teenage girls everyday tweeting and be turned against it, haha.

I agree with you though, it's a social network, like this place. Only difference between GR and facebook really is that you use your real name and pic on facebook and at GR you have a user name and avatar.

I use my real name anyways and post my real pic in PYP, so I don't even see a difference.

I follow Devin Townsend, Conan and John Cleese on Twitter.

It's a simple idea and I don't think there's nothing wrong with it. There's propably little idea for regular people to use it, but people who have actual fans can give something back to them with this.

Also the original idea with this was to give fast updates about some sort of festival somewhere? Many people are setting up many kind of local events and this is a great utility to keep people updated in this kind of things and more.

I don't obviously follow teens telling people what they're doing and thinking. This probably isn't the media for that and neither is facebook. Maybe those things just aren't meant for anyone/everyone.

Its funny like people have mentioned how there are tons out there who do come up with inane status updates like said "i just made toast" etc.

Recently, an associate (i met him in the army and never kept in contact with him after we finished but obviouly, besides facebook) seems to have gotten cancer and is doing a status update every hour about how it sucks, which, yeah it does.

I'm not sure how to feel about this guy now since he did used to do tons of updates which i thought were rather self indulgent, but the first one i saw when he got cancer went along the lines of 'i have cancer now, but its ok, i dont want any sympathy, i just want a happy life' and so on.

I was just thinking, well yea, announcing that on FB sure as heck gonna get you a lot of sympathy. Anyway, just a thought.

I think my favorite is when a family member posts back "thanks for calling me on the phone, sucks I heard about this on Twitter/FB". This happened twice last month, one friend announcing her pregnancy, another announcing his divorce. Both times a parent was upset they didn't get a face to face or phonecall instead of a mass alert.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo