Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tylzen

Rookie
I have been amazed at how this debate can still be going strong in the US, even after the Kitzmiller v. Dover case.
Also how the mega churches in the US have been twisting it into something that has to do with Theism contra Atheism, when actually the majority of the Christians in the world accepts Evolution as a scientific fact.

How these people fail to see through the rethorical nonsense, logical fallacies and strawmen arguments is sad. How they are manipulated by their church to believe something that goes against what we know of the natural world.

But should I be surprised when there are still geocentrists and flat earthers still left.
image007.jpg

Uh oh...hope this doesn't turn sour...

I was about to ask what was wrong with Turkey, but then I saw we were right above it.

I'd say not sure, just because it's actually not fact so much as it's an extremely sound theory. But I wouldn't put red because I get the feeling most of the people that put that just-plain don't believe in it.

That's very strong wording though. I feel like they did this to make people look stupid. I simple "Do you believe in evolution" would have sufficed. I call shitty Michael Moore-ish poll.

Sprru schimmel I haven't been around for awhile. :)

Well the definition of a scientific fact is,
an observation that has been confirmed repeatedly and is accepted as true (although its truth is never final)
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

The poll does show that the vast amount of people in the US does not support the biological scientific theory of evolution or are unsure.
If it is to make them look stupid then it succeded, because going against the huge mountain of evidence that supports evolution in my opnion is stupid, especially when it is done with pseudo-science.

I just checked back to November 2009, and had not found a similiar topic.
But if you guys think it is too soon, or that it should be merged.
Or not discussed at all, then lock it.

I checked back until March 20th, 2010 and found a thread 8 pages long almost exactly like this one.

Yet another topic about how Denmark is cooler and more liberal than the US. Lovin the blue and red lines.

just another thread on how Iceland is the best country in the world! but yeah, if this keep going, it will turn very sour. i tell ya.

I'll put it this way-
Evolution isn't about disproving that there could be a god, at all. It's just how people are taking it to that extreme.
Im not religious at all, and if anything I like the idea of Buddhism. So I don't like pulling the "You're wrong I'm right" card. It's a matter of faith versus what you learn, and I'm just not a man of faith.

Hlallu said:
I'll put it this way-
Evolution isn't about disproving that there could be a god, at all. It's just how people are taking it to that extreme.
Im not religious at all, and if anything I like the idea of Buddhism. So I don't like pulling the "You're wrong I'm right" card. It's a matter of faith versus what you learn, and I'm just not a man of faith.

Exactly, it does not disprove a deity, it just shows that it happened naturally.

Evolution is in fact a theory, and therefore not per definition true or false.
Both Evolution and Creation are plausible theories.

I actually am a creationist, and I am hardly dim-witted.
Mock me if you wish, I will face anyone who dare to challenge me in a discussion, as long as it is person to person.. Forum-wide discussions are hardly intelligent and more trollfests.

But please, don't be so arrogant to mindlessly assume either theory to be a "fact".
Keep in mind that 600 years ago, people were also confident the earth was flat.
We are not the pinnacle of science but part of historical process.
(I study history at the university).

I am a Creationist, that is where I stand, it is my religion and I accept any other form of religious practice, including atheistic or agnostic evolutionism.

Peanutkiller said:

Mock me if you wish, I will face anyone who dare to challenge me in a discussion, as long as it is person to person.. Forum-wide discussions are hardly intelligent and more trollfests.

But please, don't be so arrogant to mindlessly assume either theory to be a "fact".

I am a Creationist, that is where I stand, it is my religion and I accept any other form of religious practice, including atheistic or agnostic evolutionism.

Yes it is a theory, but a SCIENTIFIC theory.
"a theory that explains scientific observations; "scientific theories must be falsifiable" "

Intelligent Design/Creationism is not a theory, nor is it even a hypothesis. It is a claim that is unsupported by any forms of evidence. Which is also why it has been ruled to be nothing more than religious nonsense in the US Supreme Court and in the EU.

Would you consider Astrology as valid as Astronomy?

Tylzen said:
Peanutkiller said:

Yes it is a theory, but a SCIENTIFIC theory.
"a theory that explains scientific observations; "scientific theories must be falsifiable" "

Intelligent Design/Creationism is not a theory, nor is it even a hypothesis. It is a claim that is unsupported by any forms of evidence. Which is also why it has been ruled to be nothing more than religious nonsense in the US Supreme Court and in the EU.

Would you consider Astrology as valid as Astronomy?

I do not agree with that statement; I view Creationism as a theory and not a fact. The original question was "Is Evolution a scientific fact?", which it obviously isn't. Even the plausibility of both is open for personal interpretation.

However, a theory rather than a fact it remains, that is my only point, but clearly most of those that answered the poll must have misunderstood the nature of the question, it is the only explanation that seems likely to me. I have a hard time believing that the majority of you lack in fact any form of relativization.

I have studied both creation and evolution and to me it is not a simple math equation of "which is the most likely". Taking in account the fact that they are both theories, I simply choose the one that makes my life more meaningful and gives me the most answers.

Tylzen said:
Hlallu said:
I'll put it this way-

Exactly, it does not disprove a deity, it just shows that it happened naturally.

No, it shows that things evolve.

Also, we have this topic... seriously. Like a bunch of pages of it. Plus Links started another one... can we have a Mod in here do some Modding please?

Which topic do we have? We've had it before but if we were to close all repeats then we wouldn't have a pictures topic or... well most other topics. As far as I can see there isn't a topic currently on the first page (as in, within the past month) about the Creationism debate and Links' current topic is more about the censorship of books rather than this. Give a link if I'm wrong.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle