Hangin' with Mormons.

GRColin

Rookie
So Rosa and I met some new friends the other day at my niece's birthday party and they've since invited us over for dinner tonight. The thing is....What the fuck do we talk to Mormon's about? The husband works in a science field so I'm guessing they aren't completely biased towards religion...The wife is a stay at home mom, they want 5 kids. Do we talk about Jesus' pilgrimage to America? Surely we don't ask them what the latest R-Rated movie is that they saw! Is swearing alright? Are Mormon's by unwritten rule conservative? Should we say we love Obama and all black sentient beings?!

HALP!!1111!

A common misconception about Mormons is that they're backwards. A lot of them are still pretty cool and recent, as long as you don't get ones straight out of Salt Lake City. I've met quite a few Mormons who simply say they are Mormon but actually drink and have little to no affiliation with the actual church. Talk about whatever you want with them, just make sure they're not offended (which they shouldn't be if you accepted their invite to dinner). And remember, have fun and respect their sacred underwear!

The one thing you got right is that they're usually incredibly racist. I'll be surprised if they let Rosa in the front door.

First things first. Ask him if they really only celebrate their birthdays every two years. And depart with a "shine on you crazy Mormons".

In all seriousness, Mormons are...gasp...people! I happen to be one of them. If you want to bring up religion out of the gate go for it. If you'd rather find another topic, I'd venture that way. Swearing...depends, I could care less as long as a person doesn't fill each sentence to the brim with cursewords, my wife on the other hand can't stand the curses (and she grew up in the military!...go figure). Being in WA (that's where you're at, right?), it's a toss up politically. We tend to be conservative on social issues, but on the rest of politics...it's a shot in the dark.

I should let you all know I was kidding around with some of my comments.

Now that that is out of the way, thanks Bret! We're actually in Or but...Same shit different pile right? I just don't want to go in there and offend them talking about things they don't allow in their home. Super nice people, you can really tell just by talking to them. They even donate to Goodwill! (I'm impressed because I;m thinking "eff that - If I can turn a profit from shit I don't wear anymore I will!) Just don't want to be offensive. I'm always nervous hanging out with new friends for the first time anyways.

No offense was taken. I have a good sense of humor and don't offend to easily.

I totally understand how you feel though. Like with any new friendship, there's always that awkward boundary testing phase and religion/politics/etc. can make that difficult at times.

Yup, schim, that I am. I was adopted at a pretty young age by some awesome parents. Cool thing is, growing up in the LDS church you get a pretty wide smattering of international culture since people serve missions everywhere. Plus, I grew up with a family of Brazilians in my church and they fed me BR Pride from the start.

used44 said:
The one thing you got right is that they're usually incredibly racist. I'll be surprised if they let Rosa in the front door.

spot on. I can never get into heaven...

feelsbadman.jpg

Pretty sure there's a South Park episode where a family that moves into the neighborhood is Mormon...Just watch that and you should be good.

Mormons aren't allowed coffee or any caffeine really, so offer them plenty of coffee and caffeine. Sit back and watch. Then again this may bring up religion. Are you willing to take a punch to give a punch? Because the unpleasantness may be worth a laugh!

Mormons have weak stomachs and are racist, I won't mince words. At least the strict ones are. The same ones who'll visit you for dinner in pairs.
Tell them you did all the cooking or you'll end up with at least one of them vomiting up their dinner in your bathroom. <<< True story

HELLO?! GREEN JELLO!!!

You're forgetting me here! :lloyd:

1. Mormons are people too! Talking to them shouldn't be a problem, but generally, swearing is not okay. R-rated movies are not okay. Of course you've seen me swear here, but I wasn't being a very good person when I did.

2. THE CHURCH ISN'T RACIST! Decades ago, after the church had been spread across the world, it was proclaimed that all worthy males, of any race, were permitted to hold the priesthood, given by the laying on of hands.

3. Any Mormon drinking and not going to church is called INACTIVE and is in some serious trouble.

4. WHERE IS EVERYONE GETTING THE RACIST IDEA FROM?

5. Bret is a cool Mormon!

6. Urbs, the color of your skin will never determine if you get to heaven, but your pride will!

7. Actually, a lot of Mormons I know don't seem to fully understand the Word of Wisdom and still drink caffeine and soda. But, soda does taste good, and like I said, we are still people. Also, Chris must be pulling this from a single experience, because I know a lot of FAT Mormons, BUT I DON'T KNOW ANY RACIST ONES!

Anymore questions or comments? I hope I've cleared up some things here, but that's up to you isn't it?

Lethean said:
I should let you all know I was kidding around with some of my comments.

Now that that is out of the way, thanks Bret! We're actually in Or but...Same s*** different pile right? I just don't want to go in there and offend them talking about things they don't allow in their home.

I'm sure they'd be cool with you just straight up asking about it. You tell them that you want to know what's kosher in their house and have a laugh about it afterwords. I like to get uncomfortable topics out in the open early on because the level of un-comfort only rises as time goes on. Something like partial variation.

My grandmother was a sunday school teacher for the LDS for many years and they were always cool towards us. I'm just fucking with ya about the racism. The church does have some wacked out beliefs though. And that mormon cartoon doesn't help.
But I still believe Salt Lake City needs to be bombed. They're cultists who prey on young children imo.

I wonder what Yorky's up to these days? He said he was going to missionary in France for a few years, right? Not a bad place to visit. I'd be down to missionary France, but Haiti? ehh, not so much. Yorky was a cool guy though.

If it was me I would just be myself otherwise I wouldn't feel comfortable. I wouldn't go out of my way to be an ass by bringing up something I know would be inappropriate. But if they asked me about religion I would just be honest and say I'm Agnostic and explain why. I love movies, music, gaming, hockey, new technology and philosophy so I would probably talk a lot about that.

Like Bret and De-Ting said, they're people like you and I so there's no need to be nervous. Just like any good friendship/relationship it'll only work if you guys act like yourselves.

Pretty sure there's a South Park episode where a family that moves into the neighborhood is Mormon...Just watch that and you should be good.

Green_Lantern said:
I'm sure they saw your joke
question is which post did I quote this from?

Green_Lantern said:

How the fuck did that doubt post like 2 hours apart

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod