GTA controversies

maca2kx

Rookie
We all know that if there's one game that stirs up a lot of controversy it's GTA. Granted most, if not all of it comes from misinformed, melodramatic soccer mums who happen to have the spotlight of television/radio/journalism shone on them but it's out there nonetheless. So this can be the topic for the more ridiculous 'exposés' on the latest instalment and the place to vent if the morons get too much. Here are a few to get started:

Stabbing
Grand Theft Morality Pt 1
Grand Theft Morality Pt 2 (with Jack Thompson!)

See if you can pick out the blatant lies, it's tough getting them all.

Sam

........... what can you say about Glenn Beck/Thompson that hasn't already been said, except - at least... their not Canadian.

I like how they make it seem like the game caused the stabbing in the line waiting to buy the game... that type of shit happens all the time when large groups of people are eagerly awaiting something. Remember about 10 years ago when grandmothers and soccer moms were bloodying eachother's noses to get a hold a ticke-me-elmo?

Let's not forget Mothers Against Drunk Driving trying to get it turned AO because you can drive drunk.

Yeah, that was a little silly. I'm against drunk driving, but if murder and drug dealing don't give the game an AO rating then I don't see that drunk driving should.

I regularly shop in that particular Gamestation (Hell, I even worked there for a stint). I think the fact that someone got stabbed there is not at all attributable to the game, but just to the fact that it took place in Croydon.

Let's remember that London still has one of the highest levels of knife crime in Europe (Glasgow is the worst), so a large concentration of people standing around at pub closing time was always going to attract attention.

Conversely the launch that I went to in Exeter, where I am a student, played host to around 70 people and there was no trouble at all.

Typical Daily Mail.

Longo_2_guns said:
Let's not forget Mothers Against Drunk Driving trying to get it turned AO because you can drive drunk.
WoW should be AO then. I drunk drive on my Fel Steed with +3% speed all the time.

I'm not saying you agree with this idea at all.

Yeah, if Eastern Promises is any indication, I'm pretty sure everyone in London is a knife-packing mobster.

Are we seriously going to talk about this? Haven't we heard enough already? Bring up something new, and then you'll get my attention.

It's clearly got your attention enough to bother posting. How about instead of complaining about what has already been posted you present something of your own? You're as bad as non voters complaining about Bush.

Sam

All I'm saying is that I'm tired of the same blame video games keep getting. What I meant by binging up something new was directed at CNN, not my peeps here at GR. It is just irritating how people cannot come up with any new criticism. I remember Duke posting the article about video games lacking a sense of morality. Something like that is good for discussion. I really am not impressed when Jack Thompson starts ranting about the violence in games. He even said that the guy bought the game WITHOUT PARENTAL SUPERVISION. I do realize that I was being brash, but what can one do when seeing Jack Thompson spewing out a whole bunch of nonsense about how its entirely GTAs fault.

the stabbing is easily explained -
the convo went:
''yo, man, can i have cuts?''
''no.''
*stab*
''how bout now!?''

Seen as we are the ones under fire from this kind of thinking, it's very logical we'd keep a finger on it's pulse, rakon.

video game criticisms, all go in one cycle. damn.

PS: i wonder if JT has already played GTA IV before going into any interviews regarding game violence. If he didnt, he's a liar. If he did, i'd eat my words. What ive meant in that line is this some sort of a GR ideology. "You cant make a review of the game if you havent played it."

personalmgt said:

PS: i wonder if JT has already played GTA IV before going into any interviews regarding game violence.

What! Of course not. Us on the far right are way to into being prejudice... That would make waty tooo much sense.

plus i dont think he even knows how to work a controller. probably has one of his aides play it in front of him or something.

personalmgt said:

PS: i wonder if JT has already played GTA IV before going into any interviews regarding game violence. If he didnt, he's a liar. If he did, i'd eat my words. What ive meant in that line is this some sort of a GR ideology. "You cant make a review of the game if you havent played it."

I'd be willing to put money on Jack Thompson having no more experience with any video game than seeing the montages created by Fox news to place emphasis on the violence.

Sam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod