Gaming over HDMI Vs Component on a 42 inch. (Re: MGS4)

Lethean said:
I'm thinking it might "upconvert" to 1080p, but doesn't offer true 1080p. I'm going to call them to find out.

Also, what do you mean by UPS? Not United Postal Service I'm assuming lol?

University of Puget Sound. Considering going back in a month or so to visit some friends.

Lethean said:
I'm thinking it might "upconvert" to 1080p, but doesn't offer true 1080p. I'm going to call them to find out.
What Logo did it have on the box to say it has 1080p?
if it's this one, tell them to replace it or you're going to your fair trading/consumer affairs thing, because this is the universal recognised logo for true 1080p signal, one in which every country i've been to only puts it on full 1080p signal supporting HDTV's.
FullHD1080_logo.gif

De-Ting said:
There is a point where I classify a TV as "too big." Anything above 37" is too big...for gaming.
You clearly haven't gamed on a large tv then. Once you have, it's very hard to go back.

Let's see... Images obtained from the BD-ROM (a digital source) are best output in their digital form: that is, through an HDMI cable. Outputing by component cables convert the image to analogue via DAC, meaning a decrease in quality (which *should* be inperceptible). PS3 and Xbox 360's DACs are supposedly not the best in the market.

But do consider the fact that liquid cristal and plasma panels are digital. This means that an analogue source must be converted to digital... Re-converted unecesarily, considering the source was digital in the first place! If your TV's analogue-to-digital converter is weak, expect a drop in image quality.

In short, outputting by HDMI by-passes two potentialy degrading conversions.

Still, some people prefer analogue outputs because they see a "warmer" picture; some dismiss HDMI images as being too "digital" and "pixelated". It's up to personal taste, in a way.

Regarding upscaling: upscaling should improve perceptual quality. Absolute quality, however, decreases.

I knda know what De-Ting is talking about. Moving from a large tv to a freaking huge tv can be a pretty weird experience and it can really seem like the tv is just too big and you can't focus on the entire thing at once. Then, you get used to it and then it's really weird playing it on smaller tvs, so it's all about what you're acustomed to.

used44 said:
I knda know what De-Ting is talking about. Moving from a large tv to a freaking huge tv can be a pretty weird experience and it can really seem like the tv is just too big and you can't focus on the entire thing at once. Then, you get used to it and then it's really weird playing it on smaller tvs, so it's all about what you're acustomed to.
Yeah. My tv used to look so big when I first got it but now it looks so small.

kverduga said:
Let's see... Images obtained from the BD-ROM (a digital source) are best output in their digital form: that is, through an HDMI cable. Outputing by component cables convert the image to analogue via DAC, meaning a decrease in quality (which *should* be inperceptible). PS3 and Xbox 360's DACs are supposedly not the best in the market.

But do consider the fact that liquid cristal and plasma panels are digital. This means that an analogue source must be converted to digital... Re-converted unecesarily, considering the source was digital in the first place! If your TV's analogue-to-digital converter is weak, expect a drop in image quality.

In short, outputting by HDMI by-passes two potentialy degrading conversions.

Still, some people prefer analogue outputs because they see a "warmer" picture; some dismiss HDMI images as being too "digital" and "pixelated". It's up to personal taste, in a way.

Regarding upscaling: upscaling should improve perceptual quality. Absolute quality, however, decreases.

So...You're saying I'd notice a huge difference if my 360 had HDMI and it isn't just that MGS4 looks fucking awesome simply because it's MGS4, most new games look that good?

And I agree with Ised. It's weird going back to smaller televisions now. I was watching the Colbert Report on our old flat screen 27 inch and damn that thing seems so mall. Before we got the LCD it seemed like a decent size. That just sounds like crazy talk now.

Lethean said:
So...You're saying I'd notice a huge difference if my 360 had HDMI and it isn't just that MGS4 looks f****** awesome simply because it's MGS4, most new games look that good?

The difference won't be massive, but will be quite significant. I do notice it in my 32-inch Panny LCD as a lack of sharpness when compared to HDMI, on the PS3 at least (360's should be identical); chances are the difference will be greater on your bigger plasma. You may even see the diference when playing PS2 and old Xbox games, with or without upscaling.

Oh... Decaying analogue cables can cause ghosting... Even on plasmas! Watch out for that. You should be fine with a $10 HDMI 1.3 uplink. Remember: with digital, noise, interference, and signal atenuation due to cable length become problems of the past.

EDIT: I really hope this isn't considered a bring-old-thread-back post.

Lethean said:
So...You're saying I'd notice a huge difference if my 360 had HDMI and it isn't just that MGS4 looks f****** awesome simply because it's MGS4, most new games look that good?
MGS4 does look awesome, but so does about 60% of games on the 360 too.
with your Plasma, you will notice a difference with HDMI, especially if it was not an expensive one.
like i said earlier, HDMI looks much better on my 1080p 50'' when compared to component.

oh, yeah, i used to play on a 26'' LCD, then moved to a 32'' and thought it was too big, but now i find the 50'' plasma to be much more my taste for gaming.

TheNesMan said:
Any game on my 67' 1080p tv looks absolutely amazing.

by yours you mean your parents right?

and going beyond the average high def is a waste for anyone without 20/20 vision, myself don't have the greatest vision, so I'm racking it up big getting the big screens everyone else is too elite for, yay for losing business sales

lokness said:
Dont forget kids, the 360 HDMI (1.2) differs from the PS3 HDMI (1.3).

Hm? I thout Microsoft had updated their spec by now.

Anyways... HDMI 1.3 has a few theoretical advantages over 1.2, such as higher colour depth (Deep Color, xvYCC) and the ability to output Dolby TrueHD and DTS Studio as it is instead of as a Linear PCM stream (hence it isn't "critical").

It sounds good on paper. I believe the PS3 does support the new colour spaces (in the display settings menu), but whether Sony will give us the treat is up to them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle