Gaming over HDMI Vs Component on a 42 inch. (Re: MGS4)

GRColin

Rookie
So I'm playing MGS4 via an HDMI cable, at 720p and damn this game looks good.

I was thinking that Assassin's Creed and Gears of War don't look this good at 720p or 1080i over HD component cables. However, I've been told there isn't much of a difference between HDMI and Component until you get into 52 inch screens or higher.

What are your experiences?

Is it the component cable or is there really not much of a difference and MGS4 just kicks that much graphical ass?

You are absolutly right, if you have a regular TV about 28 inches and more, there is no advantage to get HDMI cables (that's what I saw).

Yes, but are you using HDMI or component? :p

And 67...Damn you!

Edit: Unlike NesMan, I wasn't size dropping to brag :p. I figure when it comes to display, it's best to know the size.

It matters!

NesMan with yours being that big...Wanna come over tonight?

Damn u both. I can't get my new 42“ hdtv for another month. Lethean how come your not running MGS4 at 1080p? Oh and good question I didn't know you could run 720 on component.

The TV at my parents humble abode (whereI'm currently staying while back in Canada) only supports 720p and 1080i. It upscales to 1080p but not sure how good the quality is. The TV back home in Oregon has 1080p. Can't wait to see that.

Anyways...I'm sure you'll love your HDTV set. What make/model is it and where did you pick it up from if I may ask?

As for running on component,you can run up to 1080i, but 1080p you'll need a VGA cable or HDMI if I'm not mistaken.

shandog137 said:
Damn u both. I can't get my new 42“ hdtv for another month. Lethean how come your not running MGS4 at 1080p? Oh and good question I didn't know you could run 720 on component.

The game was supposed to run in 720p, if you upscale it to 1080p it wont look any better. in fact it should look worst.

Ok,
360 = Clearer on 720p with HDMI cable hooked up to 32'' Panasonic Viera, than Componant.
360 = Same as componant on Generic 26'' (which surprisingly looks better..lol)
360 = MUCH Clearer on 50'' 1080p plamsa when using HDMI.
[Note - Plasma is main Family TV, not mine :( ]

HDMI does make a difference on bigger screens IMO, and the fact that you only need 1 cable for audio AND video means i use HDMI for pretty much every TV i hook the Elite up to, no matter what the size is.
Also note that i am using the standard Elite HDMI cable, which leaves a little to be desired in terms of quality, but because HDMI is digital, it doesn't matter anyway.

Lethean said:
As for running on component,you can run up to 1080i, but 1080p you'll need a VGA cable or HDMI if I'm not mistaken.

Nope, I'm running my 360 over standard component to my 22" Samsung at 1080p. Because the resolution is actually 1680x1050 (ratio of 16:10) there's a little stretching but I don't notice it. Anyway, point is I can run it at 1080p using component.

Sam

maca2kx said:
Lethean said:

Nope, I'm running my 360 over standard component to my 22" Samsung at 1080p. Because the resolution is actually 1680x1050 (ratio of 16:10) there's a little stretching but I don't notice it. Anyway, point is I can run it at 1080p using component.

Sam
Add on to that, the 50'' plasma i mentioned runs the 360 fine at 1080p through Component, which is the full 1920x1080..

I stand corrected then heh. I was under the impresion you can select 1080p via component, but it isn't true 1080p.

Having said that, I did have my 360 set up to display 1080p via component, but I did not notice a single bit of difference over 1080i or 720p. Maybe I suck. Maybe I would if I used the new pro or elite models. Who knows.

Lethean I was going to get a Toshiba Regza 42 from BestBuy for 1199 but it doesn't have RF Input so I would have to get a HD cable box/ subscription. If I can run 1080p through component then I will probably get a Sony or Samsung for the same price but 40" since the have RF input and I wouldn't have to buy 2 hdmi cables as well as upgrade my cable plan. Hopefully since they are top end brands the standard cable signal won't look too bad running through the RF. Thanks Maca and Madster for the added info. Also Lethean have you been to klamath falls or eugene?

No, I haven't been there yet. I've been to Multnomah Falls though.

Why, do you live near there?

Also, a Toshiba Regza is what we have. Only complaint is it's lack of 1080p. It said 1080p on the box but when I set my PS3 to that, the screen remained black.

Lethean said:
No, I haven't been there yet. I've been to Multnomah Falls though.

Why, do you live near there?

Also, a Toshiba Regza is what we have. Only complaint is it's lack of 1080p. It said 1080p on the box but when I set my PS3 to that, the screen remained black.

Went to UPS. Friends in both places.

Nothing on your toshiba plays at 1080p? What the hell kind of false advertisement is that? Are you going to complain or anything. They add several hundred bucks for the jump from 720 to 1080.

I'm thinking it might "upconvert" to 1080p, but doesn't offer true 1080p. I'm going to call them to find out.

Also, what do you mean by UPS? Not United Postal Service I'm assuming lol?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle