Gamestop outdoes itself

used44

Forum Moderator
Staff member
http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/game ... opies-7971

Perhaps you've heard of this latest ridiculous fiasco. Gamestop had ordered their stores to secretly open PC copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and remove the included OnLive download vouchers, not alerting the customers of this. Apparently not all copies had their coupons removed (because Gamestop employees are terrible at their jobs, even when it comes to knowingly committing fraud). They've now stopped selling all PC copies of DXHR and are taking returns.

This all could have been avoided if Gamestop had just worked with Square and said "hey, we're sending these PC versions back because we're launching a competing service to OnLive." but instead they went the shady route and cheated their customers.

It's not legal at all...in fact it's borderline criminal.

And supposedly Square Enix agreed to this...but I call bullshit frankly, this was probably a gut-call by the company heads.

cyberjim2000 said:
What's Square-Enix's response?
They've welcomed the units back. My guess is OnLive cut them a fat enough check to make up for the like.... 50 copies for the PC they would have sold at Gamestop.

danielrbischoff said:
cyberjim2000 said:
What's Square-Enix's response?
They've welcomed the units back. My guess is OnLive cut them a fat enough check to make up for the like.... 50 copies for the PC they would have sold at Gamestop.

Basically. I think the friggin' Gamecube section is bigger than PC.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
most gamestops i go to don't even have PC sections anymore.
Which goes even further to prove the point that
1) OnLive paid a lot of money for this Deus Ex partnership
2) GameStop had no clue these codes were coming in the box
3) Square Enix doesn't care because the money from OnLive covers the sales loss at GameStop
4) GameStop looks evil while OnLive looks super-duper generous and PC gamers will love them for it (well not love them, but you know, they'll think they're cool)

Genius marketing maneuver really.

PC section? What.

Oh. You mean that "wall" of games BEHIND the counter? That PC section. Seriously though, that's where the "new" PS2 games are also.

It's not as bad as Wal-Mart though. The 360 has 3 sections. It's dedicated area, a portion of the Wii's, and the majority of the PS3's.

Wait, make that 4. There's one in the PC/Laptop area.

danielrbischoff said:
Eyebrowsbv31 said:
most gamestops i go to don't even have PC sections anymore.
Which goes even further to prove the point that
1) OnLive paid a lot of money for this Deus Ex partnership
2) GameStop had no clue these codes were coming in the box
3) Square Enix doesn't care because the money from OnLive covers the sales loss at GameStop
4) GameStop looks evil while OnLive looks super-duper generous and PC gamers will love them for it (well not love them, but you know, they'll think they're cool)

Genius marketing maneuver really.
This

GameStop got the shit end of this deal. It is easy to sit and criticize them for this, how many people are willing to look at it from their perspective?

If you owned a business, and material you bought from a third party came with a promotion for your competition, you are just going to keep handing away your business?

It was alluded to that not many people go to GameStop to buy PC games, they only have 1 stand for it at my nearest store. They obviously don't want to lose those 5 customers with a product walking out their own door. Their offer for fixing it is more than fair, and I have a feeling that those who actually purchased it (who really are the only ones that matter in this story) probably don't give a flying pig about it anymore.

GameStop, if they have in-house counsel, need to get them all over SquareEnix's ass right now. SE should probably come with a big apology too, because GameStop could cut very easily into their bottom line.

danielrbischoff said:
And now $50 giftcard and buy 1 get 1 free (?)
Guess they know they f***** up.

Buy 2 get 1 free (preowned only) still that ain't bad.

And no Haiku Friday? :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod