Empty Shell Characters

Again, I'm not arguing that Garrus should have won, I'm saying that I find him to be a "character with character" as Links would say (or his editors, maybe) and I find characters like Chell to be used for a different purpose - to be an analogue for the player - and I wanted some opinions on that thought.

This wasn't meant to be about the Showdown, just inspired by it.

Does anyone else have trouble spelling "showdown" properly after having grown up with Samurai Shodown? I can't be the only one.

MattAY said:
I voted for Chell because I've never played Mass Effect. If there were pictures perhaps my mind coul've been swayed.

you're missing out if you've never played M.E.

People keep saying that. I'll make it my next purchase.

That, Assasin's Creed, Fable 3 and LA Noire are all on my list.

Ok :)

Well Mass Effect has been on my list for a while so I'm gonna get next probably.

Assassin's Creed certainly isn't horrible, but it's also very skippable. Especially over ME.

Oh yeah, I need that too because I...havent played....portal.....either.............

Pitchforks away please.

used44 said:
Again, I'm not arguing that Garrus should have won, I'm saying that I find him to be a "character with character" as Links would say (or his editors, maybe) and I find characters like Chell to be used for a different purpose - to be an analogue for the player - and I wanted some opinions on that thought.

This wasn't meant to be about the Showdown, just inspired by it.

Does anyone else have trouble spelling "showdown" properly after having grown up with Samurai Shodown? I can't be the only one.

I see what you did there (and I wrote it, not any editors)

But Chell is supposed to be a different type of character, but she is far from an empty shell. Characters come in two forms; ones that are defined by exposition mostly ,like Garrus arguably is. And ones defined by mechanics, like Chell, Gordon Freeman, McTavish, etc. They are silent protagonists who personify the person in another roll, and the game mechanics speak volumes of their personalities.

Hell, Link, Samus, Mario, Claude, and so forth have done it in the past. Technically they have no personality, but we all know it's far from the truth. In the end it becomes a personal taste type of thing, where mechanics or exposition, or sometimes both, can speak volumes for a gaming character.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod