Empty Shell Characters

used44

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Inspired by Garrus losing to Chell in the Character Showdown, haha.

I'm not sure how anyone can vote for, or really love, characters like Chell, Jack (Bioshock), or even the perennial favorite Gordon Freeman. These characters are basically empty shells that are supposed to be inhabited by the player. They rarely have any interesting character traits of their own, only what you project onto them. This may make your connection to them stronger, I guess (because you are them), but I don't think if necessarily makes them great characters at all.

This isn't bitching about voting, I swear, I was just really curious about what you guys thought of the "blank cheque protagonist."

I would argue that their accomplishments make up who they are just as much as what they say or the facial expressions they show. You'll notice that you specified 3 characters from FPS. So, yeah, you don't speak as them or for them. You don't see their facials expressions or hear their voices, but the fact of the matter is...you still get to act as them, carrying out endeavors that detail their character.

It depends on how you look at it. I thought Soap MacTavish was the bomb in CoD4, even though you never see more of him than his arms. It's the things you do as the character that make them cool. Chell is cool because of her story, which is why she won.

My Fallout 3 character was a fuckin badass, even though i didn't get to know him past his name, appearance, and dad's story, he killed 5 super mutant behemoths and the Enclave so he's a hero in my book.

Fallout 3, Commander Shepard, etc. are different than, say, your Oblivion character because their personalities are guided by the things you do and the choices you make. Chell is just a husk that you control, you know?

And I don't think seeing their face or hearing them talk has anything to do with it.

Chell beat Garrus because of proximity to game releases. If you held this vote after ME 2 came out it would have gone the other way.

I agree that empty Chell, I mean shell ;) characters are interesting to players BECAUSE they dont speak, emote, etc. Cell's origins are only more mysterious BECAUSE she's not speaking.

These characters are interesting because the player associates with them but it also accomplishes a lot in the way of immersing the player in the REST of the world. How entertaining would GLaDOS be if she weren't badmouthing YOU and were lobbing insults at some random digital creation?

When it's all said and done, people love these characters because of the memories they have AS them, and not the characters themselves.

danielrbischoff said:
When it's all said and done, people love these characters because of the memories they have AS them, and not the characters themselves.
Not necessarily. Well, it depends on what you mean by that. Like I said, it's about that character's story, for me. I like Chell not as a "husk" that's there just for me to play the game, but because of what she accomplishes in the story. Same thing with Soap.

^Again, you care about what they do because you're tethered to their actions. The fact that you continue to say that they did it shows that you're not some schizo freak.

danielrbischoff said:
^Again, you care about what they do because you're tethered to their actions. The fact that you continue to say that they did it shows that you're not some schizo freak.

Then again, when she makes fun of me for being adopted it's not funny, it's hurtful...because I am adopted.

Bretimus_v2 said:
danielrbischoff said:

Then again, when she makes fun of me for being adopted it's not funny, it's hurtful...because I am adopted.
But at the same time, she also said "What's wrong with being adopted?"

Bretimus_v2 said:
danielrbischoff said:

Yes, Bret, we've adopted you... AND NOW WE CAN'T GET RID OF YOU!

Cept for the past three days....

danielrbischoff said:
I agree that empty Chell, I mean shell ;) characters are interesting to players BECAUSE they dont speak, emote, etc. Cell's origins are only more mysterious BECAUSE she's not speaking.

I disagree, its more about the dick riding phaggot fanboys out there. Freeman and Chell have so many nut huggers out there because the games were critically acclaimed. I would bet my last penny that if either games flopped, both financially and critically they wouldnt even be up for discussion.

huurr duur, my character is mute, so interesting y dont u talk? omg so interesting i need to know why u dont speak.

are u a wizard?

lokness said:
Freeman and Chell have so many nut huggers out there because the games were critically acclaimed.
Everybody salute Captain Obvious.

Once again, what the character winds up doing in the story is why people like them. So if they liked the game, it's only logical that they like the character.

I voted for Chell because I've never played Mass Effect. If there were pictures perhaps my mind coul've been swayed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod