Boardgaming?

drathbone

Regular
Anyone play any fantasy/adventure board games? My roommate and I were looking to run to the game store or order something off Amazon for something to do other than just videogames or MTG once in a while. We looked at a couple (Dungeon!, Summoner Wars, Talisman etc) but aren't sure what would be good for 2-5 people and isn't overly complicated for someone who hasn't done much boardgaming.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it, prefer it to be in the sword/sorcery realm, would consider some Sci-Fi if it's especially good! We more afraid of making a purchase for a game that's overly convoluted or just not fun.

I haven't done any serious board gaming since college and Settlers of Catan, which I always dominated at. I wish I still hung out with that group.

Talisman is an amazing game to play also Last night On Earth is pretty fun to.

If you have a decent sized group and some money to spare you could invest in Mordehiem. It's a fun league game you can do with your friends.
Don't need to buy any rule books or anything but you need to buy your own models and make your own buildings unless you have agaming shop to play at.

Dont play DND anymore

RISK and monopoly turn into a cut throat night

I used to love stratego as a kid.

I once worked in a tabletop gaming store and still play a lot with friends, so here it goes:

-Both Dominion and Ascension are inexpensive boardgame/cardgame hybrids that are very addictive and a lot of fun. Both have quite a few expansions too.

-If you want something more strictly boardgamish check out Super Dungeon Explore. It is retro fantasy video game themed and pits one person as the DM against the other players.

-Arkham Horror is a Lovecraftian Cthulhu mythos themed boardgame that has you covered in both the sci-fi & sorcery departments.

If you really want to have some fun though just try to get a 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons group going. The 4E rules set is really accessible to everyone (especially if they've ever played fantasy RPG video games) and nothing beats the social gaming experience of a pen-and-paper RPG.

Dominion is good like LawnGnome said. I have and love Twilight Struggle, but it's a little bit more complicated and not the themes you mentioned.

But if you want to learn about board games check out http://boardgamegeek.com/. Those forums will help you out a bunch more.

Green_Lantern said:
used44 said:
I wish I had a group of local friends to play more tabletop stuff.

I tried to get into it for a while, but that was my biggest hurdle too

Pretty much this. Luckily my roommate and I are both nerds, we game, play magic and read sci-fi and fantasy but everytime we have a group good to go for DND/tabletop gaming it always falls through. A lot of people we play poker with in a local league lean towards the nerd side but don't know if anyone actually games as it doesn't often come up. The local gaming shop is also a bit intimidating but they have events specifically for newcomers so we plan on going out to one of those eventually.

I would go with Ascension then. It has a far cooler theme & art style than Dominion and it is a bit easier/faster to play.

my attention span does not get along with bored games.

i do like playing cards though, as long as people are focused. i rage when i get together with a bunch of people and we end up playing poker or something half in the bag. the game never ends, and every turn takes 12 minutes.

I do Pathfinder Society just about every week, but that's a lot more serious than most D&D stuff. It's pretty fun, though.

That's about it.

I like Runebound, it's analogous to Arkham Horror but it has a fantasy setting. The Castle Ravenloft D&D game was fun enough.

In Utah, I had a group of guys that I played with every other week. Boardgames, D&D, videogames. Still play LoL with them. Finding a group of people who fit you is hard. Wasn't it easier to meet friends when we were kids and less judgemental?

Went to the gaming store today and they didn't have anything but Warhammer, Carcassonne and some random cardgames. I fully expected them to have some of the bigger boardgames that I continue to hear about but they didn't.

Guess I'll be going online to order something, leaning towards Talisman at the moment.

If you have an iPad there is actually quite an extensive collection of board games that have been ported over.

I've played the boardgame Carcassonne. It's really just "meh". It's nowhere near as good as even Settlers. It's one of those games that is really popular in Germany or Sweden or wherever and won a bunch of European boardgame awards so people in the US feel compelled to play them. Totally bland theme, art style, and gameplay. One game me & a friend actually tied for the win and the rules said to "Enjoy your shared victory" and we were all like "Lame!".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133