Zombie survival discussion

Icepick

Rookie
So seeing as there's no real activity on the boards, lets get some pointless conversation going that we can argue about aimlessly

I imagine most of you, especially the stoner crowd, have given some thought on how to survive given a zombie outbreak, so lets here it, try to give more than just a "gets shotgun" +1 post, you postwhores are the cancer that killed GR

Being in a small town in Ontario, a good hour and a half drive in any direction but south will land me in the middle of buttfuck nowhere, so after getting supplies that's where I'll be heading with my survival crew, and old small town schools were built like fucking forts. A working cafeteria would be ideal, but not required. Big heavy doors make it a worthwhile shelter, and the windows would be easy enough to board up. I'd break down any stairs, and use a ladder to get up and down between floors, and I'd camp out on the roof, so I can check all sides of my fortress and reduce, or remove the risk of me being caught should they break into the ground floor

In terms of vehicle, anyone choosing anything besides a 4wheel drive SUV or truck is a retard. Preferably an older model, meaning less shit to go wrong with it. 70's-80's would be great seeing as you can fix many of them with a brick and some twine in most cases
Stocking up on gas might seem important, but that's what everyone one will be after in the beginning. I'd take enough for a trip to my holdout, and a trip back. Should be easy enough to syphon gas from any left over vehicle in the small town, or abandoned vehicles along the highway.

For weaponry, fuck a pistol, and fuck a shotgun. I know everyone loves the classic "blow half the zombie away with buckshot." However keep in mind, most readily available shotguns are going to be of little use besides taking out a couple of zombies before reloading, and in a mass swarm, you might as well drop your pants and bend over. I'd op for a long range weapon, and a close melee weapon. A trusty machete or fire axe would work wonders, the machete preferably given that it's not as heavy to swing

What about you, what plans do you have, what do you disagree with on my list.

Icepick said:
drop your pants and bend over.

Longo's strategy.

Icepick, you're getting ahead of yourself. The first step in this discussion us to agree on the matter of zombie breakout. What are their weaknesses, strengths? Origin? Abilities?

A semi auto rifle would work wonders, maybe an AK ( won't jam plus the incledible stopping power). I agree with the SUV or a truck, living in a mountainous region like I do it would be pretty dumb going for a car. Not to mention how the roads would be jammed due to the outbreak.

But are we talking about shuffling zombies, fast zombies, BIO weapons? Good place to take reffuge would be a heavily fortified place with lots of food and provisions, maybe a prison or a warehouse.

Bag loads of food, a tent and a 7 Iron and leg it to the middle of a field in the middle of nowehre (where there are no people). I live in the countryside so it's easy for me to do that. Theeeeeen I dunno, I guess when supplies become short I'll go hunting in the local Tesco here and scrounge for food - Fallout style.
Although, I'm kinda fucked since I'm a diabetic, I need constant medicine too, guess on my Tesco hunt I'll hunt for insulin too, and I'd need regular sugar if I'm moving around a lot.

Oh, and I'd grab my Nintendo DS - duh.

The shaolin spade would be my weapon of choice. As far as I could tell, zombies don't swim but rather walk underwater. If that's the case, then I just get a boat out to fishable waters and ride out the end of humanity.

maca2kx said:
UghRochester said:
I'm just going to post this out there.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/humor/78 ... al%20Guide
This book gives history of zombies, strategic plans, what kind of zombies, etc.

Not what kind of zombies. According to that book there's one kind: slow and shuffling, unfeeling, killable only by a shot to the head of decapitation.
D'oh! My mistake. There is only one kind of zombie that is created. Zombies are created from a virus known as "Solanum." I meant to say types, even if it's not mentioned in the book. There are different types of zombies. The slow and shuffling type, and the fast jumping type that you would see in video games like Resident Evil.

Explosivos. Seriously, why does nobody think of them?

Also, if you use firearms, you need something with tremendous stopping power. Zombies won't care if you put little tiny holes in them; you need something that will stick with them. Incendiary ammo is a must.

For CQC, anything that can quickly decapitate is preferred. In theory, it's the same as fighting in any war of ancient times, only easier. Your enemy is retarded and they aren't wielding their own weapons.

I'm kind of fucked because i'm in New York...

But, I do have a basement and some food, and I am good with knives...so I will probably survive, steal food from the houses and markets here, and just live comfy for a bit until I get up and head west to find help.

I live on an island with highway entrances from only 2 directions, and besides that, no other access besides boat or air. So, after quarantining the entire island, I would take 5-6 trucks/vans with an armed team inside each and send them out to recover as much food, medicine, weapons, and other essentials as possible. When each team has returned, I would blow charges at either side of the bridge, making it impossible for zombies to enter the island by land. Trips by boat would be organized to explore the surrounding land and gather additional supplies if need be. Waterfront homes would be used as scouting posts to spot zombies approaching by water. There is enough fertile land in the forests around the island to plant crops, which should sustain the survivors when our gathered food supply runs out (keep in mind we also have the food from several grocery stores and every home on the island) and as long as we continue to receive a supply of clean water we won't have any trouble with starvation or dehydration. Filtered barrels can be placed outside to collect rainwater for irrigation and consumption.

I think my weapon of choice would have to be long-ranged and have an infrared/thermal scope. Even if zombies have no heat signature they should still be able to be detected and picked off before they can get close enough to do any damage, and it will help distinguish between zombie and human in situations where you cannot tell the difference (late at night or shrouded behind cover). In the occasion a zombie does get close enough to be dangerous, I would make sure to have a scythe or machete handy, so I could incapacitate it without much risk of danger.

The only problem would be electricity, but if we can locate homes with emergency generators we should be able to run enough power for all of us for several months. Beyond that, we'd have to create a man-powered generator (stationary bicycle, etc) that can give us small amounts of power for light, heat, and other uses.

I think I've thought that out enough for now -__-

Allow me to repost my pre-existing plan:

Well, what I would do is head to the nearest Walmart. Let me tell you why:

As big as they are, most Walmarts have few, if any windows. Also as big as they are, they normally only have a few points of entry, of those probably half could be secured without need of a sentry. The fewer points of entry makes for a more secure fortress.

Even a moderate size party, say the size of GR's regular posters, would have plenty of food for a long period of time. We would begin with the deli and produce sections with their perishables, and eventually move towards canned goods. You want to eat the stuff most in danger of expiring first. If the power is on, we should do as much cooking as possible while it remains on to extend the life of the perishable food. We must stick with electric cooking only; carbon monoxide poisoning from gas or charcoal would do us no good. Walmart would have plenty of cooking devices on hand.

Water and liquids wouldn't be an issue do to plenty of bottled water, canned sodas, and juices. Again, the rule of expiration must be followed. Also, if public water is still up and running, as many jugs and containers that can be filled with water, should be done with so until we either run out of containers or the water stops. If we can get to the roof we can set up a rain water collection system. If food eventually gets scarce, we can go hungry for longer than we can go without water.

There's plenty of batteries to run flashlights, but a perk of Walmart is that even if the power is out, the skylights that many of these stores have will keep our days bright.

Blankets and bedding are plentiful. We needn't sleep in discomfort or freeze in the winter.

Boardgames and books are likewise plentiful. We will not be bored.

Skateboards and bicycles will ensure quick transport around the store or from it if that time comes.

Walmart carries splints, crutches, antibiotics, medicines and bandages. We'll have a pharmacy at our disposal.

And also, we have the hunting department. Hopefully it will be a Walmart that still carries firearms and ammo. In any case there should be plenty of melee tools to use.

As for survival, we move in, secure the entrances and have shifts of two sentries at a time guard each point of entry all hours of the day. Walkie talkies will ensure constant communication or the banging of pots and pans in code should the batteries run out. Traps should also be set at entry points in case a swarm of zombies or any other unknown people try to come in.

While one team secures entrances, prepares the traps, and sets up makeshift 'pillboxes', another team will begin preparing perishable food in all the microwaves and Foreman grills available as long as power remains on.

Team three will be filling containers of water until public water runs out.

Team four secures whatever weapons and ammo they can.

And nobody goes anywhere, not even the restroom without a buddy or two. If we can take care of these first few tasks, we just may have a chance gentlemen. I claim this Walmart in the name of Game Revolution!

^Sounds like Sam's Club or Costco would also be ideal locations. Along with all of the already listed benefits, you could use the tall shelves to make elevated forts, letting you keep a watch of the store and they would be easily defensible.

I would just let the zombies take me on the first day...I don't want to live like an animal without all of my modern comforts.

First of all, what kind of zombies are we talking about here? The old school Night of the Living Dead zombies or the new wave of running zombies? Because there wouldn't be a zombie apocalypse if it were slow zombies. Unless the virus was airborne?

Umm, ok, I'll just play along. I would totally do what Paradox suggested. I'd have everything I need, start with the fresh meat, go to grab a George Formen grilling machine and cook up some nice food. Then as time goes on, make my way to the frozen foods, then eventually onto the canned.

Why do I feel like I'm suddenly in an advertisement for Wal-Mart?

Well i live in Australia, and the gun laws here are very strict. The only way to defend our selves is to go all melee - not something i'd be looking forward to.

We'd have to rely on the Army to do our dirty work, and with the land mass of Australia and a tiny army, im pretty sure we'd be up shit creek without a paddle.

lokness said:
Well i live in Australia, and the gun laws here are very strict. The only way to defend our selves is to go all melee - not something i'd be looking forward to.

We'd have to rely on the Army to do our dirty work, and with the land mass of Australia and a tiny army, im pretty sure we'd be up s*** creek without a paddle.
The laws aren't that bad, you just have to be over 18 and you can grab yourself a .308 to 'hunt rabbits and shit' and the cops won't bother you.
That's my plan.

Plus, you and me can always drive over to the AUG factory for a minute.

WickedLiquid said:
First of all, what kind of zombies are we talking about here? The old school Night of the Living Dead zombies or the new wave of running zombies? Because there wouldn't be a zombie apocalypse if it were slow zombies. Unless the virus was airborne?

Umm, ok, I'll just play along. I would totally do what Paradox suggested. I'd have everything I need, start with the fresh meat, go to grab a George Formen grilling machine and cook up some nice food. Then as time goes on, make my way to the frozen foods, then eventually onto the canned.

Why do I feel like I'm suddenly in an advertisement for Wal-Mart?

I pretty much presume old-school George Romero Zombies in all of these situations.

Which is why I would hide out for as long as possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133