What are your favorite NES-era platformers?

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming' started by Griffin_Vacheron, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Griffin_Vacheron

I reviewed Disney Afternoon Collection today.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/th ... collection

The games are fun, but they don't strike me as "best of the best," and I wonder if they were seen that way back then, or were just considered fun games. None of them are replacing Mario's NES entries for me anytime soon, though I did enjoy the gameplay of the Chip and Dale games. The controls are tight and throwing boxes and other objects at enemies is fun. Darkwing Duck seems a lot like Mega Man, but not so much to make it a total copy.

Mario, Capcom Disney games.... which platformers from this era are still worth playing?

2. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Aladdin was pretty good from what I remember. That may have been SNES though...

3. Jonathan_Leack

Jonathan_Leack Former Executive Editor

I was a huge fan of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The game had so much energy and character, there was nothing like it on the market during its time.

Looking back I have no idea how I ever beat it. The pacing was lightning fast, and playing it on a small CRT TV you had only milliseconds to make corrections while flying through each level. But really, every game back then was difficult, so that was nothing new.

Yeah, not an NES era game, but it'll have to do. :)

4. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Oooh, Blaster Master! That was one I really enjoyed, despite never owning the damn game (just rented a bunch). That was definitely NES. Had the Playstation sequel(?) as well, though it lacked some of the former's simple elegance due to 3D.

5. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Blaster Master was so much fun.

Euphoria was really good too.

6. Griffin_Vacheron

Yes! So fun. Love the magic carpet level. I've heard the Genesis version is better somehow, but I've only tried the SNES version.

7. Midgard

Midgard Rookie

I borrowed Aladdin catridge from my friends and the game looks very good. The design level makes me amaze at that time.