What game are you best at?

NegFactor

Novice
Just like the topic says. What do you feel is the game you have the most intimate knowledge with? The best understanding? Sheer domination of opponents in said game (if it's multiplayer)? Tell us how good you are/were.

For me, it's Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I definitely can say I put thousands of hours into that game and had reached at least semi-pro competency while it was still a thing. I think my crowning achievements would be one match where I won with only U, UR, R, DR working on the control stick and LK on the buttons using Ryu, Shuma-Gorath, and some third (Spider-man, maybe?)...and a game I played for fun against someone where I took Sentinel/Hulk/Juggernaut and won by turning around and playing with my hands behind my back -- I could look behind me, but I couldn't change hands or turn around. I don't think I could ever do stuff that crazy anymore (at least the hands-behind-the-back thing), but those were some fun times.

Good idea.

There's a few multiplayer games that I used to honestly dominate in. Nowadays, if I play said games, I remember the mechanics and how I used to play, but it's rusty, so I will not be as good as I used to be. Pardon me, but this will probably be a "TL;DR" post.

The first game was Super Smash Bros. Melee, which transitioned into Brawl and then the Wii U/3Ds version. Melee was our second Game Cube game. My older brother and I used to play all the time, and then eventually I met another fella at school (who remains one of my closest friends to date) and he and I used to play Melee all the time together as well, so I was always playing against two very skilled opponents. Eventually, I started to play online with Smash. Brawl, and for the most part, usually destroyed most opponents. I often played as Link, who is considered one of the worst fighters in the game, but somehow I made it work. I was really good at timing attacks, utilizing Link's long range attacks to distract the enemy and cause minor damage, and I could block a lot of attacks with his shield, without actually blocking. I could also time landings, so if I got sent into a wall, I would always press block at the right time to stop myself from further bouncing.

When the Wii U and 3Ds version of Smash Bros. came out, that's when I discovered that I was clearly not as good as I used to be, because A - I hadn't played Super Smash in a long time, and B - I didn't play this incarnation of Smash very often. I played online and would quite often get destroyed by foreign players (particularly the Japanese), and I was always getting stomped by characters that I thought would be embarrassing to lose against, e.g. Yoshi and the Villager, but they're actually quite good if you know how to use them. I also entered a local eSports tournament where I live and played Smash Bros. I lost against my first fight, to this teenager who absolutely mauled me as Mewtwo. That said kid went on to beat my two friends (who are incredibly good as well) and win the tournament, which had over thirty players.

My previous best game would probably have been Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy online. Despite the fact I was a dial up user, I learned to predict players' attacks and movements before they even did their attacks. I would mislead players and make them go where I want to go, or make them do what I want to do. Sometimes, it involved taking risks, but nine times out of ten, said risks paid off. I used a single bladed lightsaber and was good at the third, heavy form. I absolutely loved the "DFA" (death from above) attack. Sometimes, I would switch to the first, light style and make use of the uppercut. A lot of players accused me of cheating, hacking etc.

I played way too many games when I was a teenager. More then I ever did in my adult life.

I'd win a lot of games of Smash, but mostly because I was really good at turtling and fleeing and waiting on opportunities instead of engaging players directly. I will say that I was pretty damn good with Lucas, but if I wanted a sure win, I turtled Samus all day. I'm a bad Smash player and I understand that I am a bad person when I turtle. :p

I'm a platforming FIEND! Just grew up with them.

I got Crash Bandicoot triology - completed the first in a weekend (100% all gold relics etc).
My friend took 6 months to do his!

But, my insane weaknesses are football (soccer) games, and FPS games. I massively suck at those.

I'm bad at most sports games too. I'm also bad at real time strategy games.

I'm okay at FPS, but it depends on the game. I used to be good at CoD (Modern Warfare 2 and 3) but that's about it.

I was passable at Overwatch and one of the CODs...can't remember which one. That's about how much I cared about it. :p Never been big on RTS, either. Tried a MOBA once. ONCE.

Halo 3 was probably the FPS I was best at.
I would play 6 hours a day at uni for 3 years, and the skills I amassed just about made me mid-table in most matches! Says it all!

I used to be really really really good at Trackmania Nations. On one particularly complex track I managed to beat everyone else by 30 seconds! 30 seconds is like a lifetime, some tracks are less than 30 seconds long. I was really good at taking corners at full speeds and understood jumps near perfectly. But that skill faded away once I stopped playing. I recently tried the newer version and absolutely couldn't keep up with anyone. After a couple of tries I just gave up. I felt like I wouldn't git gud again, no matter how much I tried.

Then there was OG Unreal Tournament 99. I was really good at that, headshotting people from the top of the tower at twin towers map, mastered the art of bouncing sawblades off the walls and landing flak gun grenades right under the feet of my opponents. Top of the leaderboards all day every day. That skill also faded away as well once I stopped playing. And as I approach 30 years of age, I can't keep up with 14 year old whippersnappers. As a result I don't play online shooters anymore, I leave them to younger folk.

With one exception: Overwatch. I'm really really good at playing Pharah. I guess rocket launcher is one skill that has stuck with me since the UT99 days. The problem is though, I don't have an SSD drive and as such my game doesn't load quickly enough to pick an assault hero before anyone else so I mostly have to make peace playing with tank and support heroes which I don't mind but I always have that itch to pick Pharah and show to them wannabe Genjis and Soldier 76s how real damage is done.

I loved Trackmania Nations, but mostly because I enjoyed adding in my own soundtracks and creating custom levels -- if you give me something that lets me build things, I will build things a lot...it's why I don't play Minecraft.

I was really good at that iteration of UT also -- I pretty much only played against bots because of dial-up at the time and ended up reaching Godly and wrecking face pretty easily. When I finally got to play some friends on a legitimate connection, it wasn't even fair...between the flak cannon, charged rocket launcher, and sniper rifle (when at a really long distance like in outside levels with tall buildings), I had some stupid skills built up. Same as you, they died hard after not playing for awhile. I'm alright now, but I'll never be what I once was. It's the same reason I stopped playing fighting games.

I think Rocket League, although it is not my favorite game.
In Rocket League, I learned to play when I lived in a friend's house for three months. We have always competed for who will be better and in this way we both started to play very well ;-)
One day I bought myself PS4 and PS +, I logged in to my account and ... and it turned out that all my crates and items for Rocket League, were on my friend's playstation, because he had PS +: O
In my opinion, Rocket League is the best game created on PS3 and PS4

I'd say anything with Mario in it is a natural thing for me. I have the same bunch of friend since high school (I'm 32 now) and we occasionnally still sit down in front of an SNES/N64/Gamecube/Wii/Wii U to play Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Mario Party/Mario Tennis etc, and I pretty much always win (and I ALWAYS take Mario. God Forbid anyone steals him from me!). Any of them that can beat me at Mario Kart celebrates like they won the lottery! I don't even play Smash Bros anymore because they got tired of being beaten senseless! The thing is is though, I have no idea why I have this natural talent with Nintendo's games. I don't play much of them on my own anymore. It's like it's in my blood. Probably from playing too much as a kid and with Nintendo always making their game kinda with the same mechanics.

I think i have intimate knowledge of Witcher games, played them all couple of times and finished Witcher 3 on Death March difficulty with almost no problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod