Switzerland bans the building of Minarets.

GRColin

Rookie
(RFE/RL) -- Early results from a referendum today in Switzerland suggest that the majority of voters have backed a ban on the construction of new minarets in the country.

Switzerland, home to some 400,000 Muslims, already has four minarets attached to mosques that will remain even if the referendum passes.

"The initiative would appear to be accepted; there is a positive trend. It's a huge surprise," a report on French-language television said, 30 minutes after polls closed at midday.

The final results are due to be released later today.

The controversial proposal to ban minarets was brought forward by the right wing Swiss People’s Party, which says minarets are a sign of Islamization.

The Swiss government had urged voters to reject the proposed ban on new minarets, saying it would violate religious freedom and human rights, as well as potentially provoking Islamist radicalism and harming Switzerland’s image.

Campaigners demanded the referendum to halt "political Islamization" by amending the Swiss constitution to add a clause stating "the construction of minarets is prohibited."

‘Political Symbol’

The referendum was called after campaigners collected the 100,000 signatures required to put the question to a nationwide vote.

Right wing politician Ulrich Schluer from the Swiss People's Party told the Swiss website swissinfo.ch that minarets symbolize a political-religious claim to power.

“We do not forbid Islam -- we forbid the political symbol of Islamization, and this is the minaret,â€

maybe the Muslims can just start meeting up at the White Castle?
2h6tsv8.jpg

i mean what's the big deal? do they not have a Medieval Times they could meet... go..?? ah never mind, those muslims aren't the joking bunch.

I fail to see the problem here.

They have stopped the building off big ass, ugly towers that serve no purpose at all?

madster111 said:

The problem with Switzerland's model of having a referendum on everything they don't like is that in a democracy, while the majority may dislike something, there will be an awful lot of people that do like something. Such referendums offer the minorities no protection at all, and is effectively tyranny by the majority. Over 40% of respondents didn't want them banned. Now, take an issue like video games. Nowadays perhaps with the spread of casual games they are less of a niche, but I've been playing since 3.

I remember when I used to play as a child, EVERY adult that came in to my house would decry it as an absolute waste of time. I'm sure if a swiss-style referendum were held (that adults are the ones eligible to vote in, by the way) the medium would be dead in the water. Even today the backlash against violent video games is enormous and regular. It doesn't mean the right-thinking segment of society should have things they want banned because of a whimsical referendum.

The wording of such things is so polarising. It really is dangerous.

malakian said:
madster111 said:

The problem with Switzerland's model of having a referendum on everything they don't like is that in a democracy, while the majority may dislike something, there will be an awful lot of people that do like something. Such referendums offer the minorities no protection at all, and is effectively tyranny by the majority. Over 40% of respondents didn't want them banned.

Welcome to Australia.

madster111 said:

They have stopped the building off big ass, ugly towers that serve no purpose at all?

Because it's a violation of freedoms of religion and expression, frankly. This is kind of bad.

Very stupid. Simple fix: for every Islamic structure place a Gothic style church next to it, then a Buddah statue, a synagogue, and then a statue to Sheogorath.

Honestly I'd like to see these buildings; if they are particularly ugly (which I doubt because Islamic art and Architecture looks cool) I'd understand.

lol @ balanced.

"Europe stands at a crossroads with respect to its Muslim population. Of the three main future prospects - everyone getting along, Muslims dominating or Muslims rejected - the first is highly improbable, but the second and third seem equally possible."

Yeah, here in England we're certainly at a crossroads. 'Muslims dominating' is much more likely than everyone getting along. As a European, I've had to shoot two today. Yeehaw.

What an unqualified pile of tripe.

I'll never understand the Americans. First you guys are all "Let's stop saying "Under god" in the pledge!" But then you are all like "How dare they ban minaret! That's against their religion!"

Man make up your mind! You wanna separate state and religion or do you want freedom of religion? Let them decide what best for them and worry about our problems here. Like is Obama a Muslim? :D

That and i was told that the minaret isn't even a mandatory construction for Muslim. It isn't needed and serve no religious purpose whatsoever in mosques except for calling the faithful, like ringing the bell for church. Useful but not needed.

...And that column is the most bias thing i ever read after conservapedia.

malakian said:
lol @ balanced.

"Europe stands at a crossroads with respect to its Muslim population. Of the three main future prospects - everyone getting along, Muslims dominating or Muslims rejected - the first is highly improbable, but the second and third seem equally possible."

Yeah, here in England we're certainly at a crossroads. 'Muslims dominating' is much more likely than everyone getting along. As a European, I've had to shoot two today. Yeehaw.

What an unqualified pile of tripe.

hah, I missed that line, my mistake.

Ah well, what doesn't have bias this day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133