Life, the universe, and everything

For a small section of the story, there were two of Harry and Hermione. Ron broke his leg, the fucking liability. But some events occurred, such as the freeing of Buckbeak (which the pair were unaware of), which they themselves had to effect. The story explains it a lot better than I can.

yeah, I've only seen the movies...don't know how they stack up against the books, but usually it goes Book>Movie. I did however read GoF, but only coz it was a present. Movie sucked in comparison.

Going back to time travel, would cryogenic freezing be instantaneous to the user? Or would their subconscious have a field day much like a coma patient?

The thing about cryogenics, to my knowledge, is that is simply slows down the aging process, and does so by extreme cooling. As far as I can tell, it would have to stop your brain cells decaying as well, so I wouldn't expect to be able to process any information during the freezing. Otherwise, you could create geniuses, just by playing language tapes, and audio learning tools. 1000 years of knowledge, and all it would take, would be sacrificing everything now that you hold dear.

Yes, the Paradox being if you went back and killed those who created you, in your linear, 2-D history, you wouldn't have existed to go back to do any of that. In the 3-D history model, it branches off to accommodate that situation (not sure exactly how, but...it does).

The Harry Potter instance (and Back To The Future, for that matter) are certainly possible in my model, just because you go back, or foreward, that does not mean that you are the only one in existence in whatever time you landed in.

As to the freezing, if at absolute zero energy is neither absorbed or emitted it would be impossible for signals in your brain to be created. Therefore, your mind is not "thinking", you have no sub-atomic movement, so it would be instantaneous, yes. Provided the freezing and thawing processes were quick.

That's a pretty scary thought. What would it be like to one instant be frozen in 2008, and the very next instant awake in some dystopian/utopian/regular future?

trust_no_one said:
Yes, the Paradox being if you went back and killed those who created you, in your linear, 2-D history, you wouldn't have existed to go back to do any of that. In the 3-D history model, it branches off to accommodate that situation (not sure exactly how, but...it does).

The Harry Potter instance (and Back To The Future, for that matter) are certainly possible in my model, just because you go back, or forward, that does not mean that you are the only one in existence in whatever time you landed in.

As to the freezing, if at absolute zero energy is neither absorbed or emitted it would be impossible for signals in your brain to be created. Therefore, your mind is not "thinking", you have no sub-atomic movement, so it would be instantaneous, yes. Provided the freezing and thawing processes were quick.

Great, physics and biology. But at absolute zero, surely your tissues would be irreparably damaged?

And I think I get what you mean. Kind of like Jet Li's The One, where each you is a slightly different you, genetically identical, but not necessarily the same.

All sorts of theoreticals could be thrown around. Such as your mind simply unable to comprehend the jump and you'd die. There may be damage (physical or mental) from the freezing/thawing.

Depending on the number of years...say, millions, and you were brought to the distant planet after Earth was destroyed, either naturally or by man's own hand) the human body will have evolved qute differently from where we are now. We may not even be able to eat what they eat, because the millions of years of evolution have had such an impact on the human race.

thetank said:
Great, physics and biology. But at absolute zero, surely your tissues would be irreparably damaged?

And I think I get what you mean. Kind of like Jet Li's The One, where each you is a slightly different you, genetically identical, but not necessarily the same.

Yeah, that's why I went back to high shool after I graduated grade 12 for another semester, I took all my sciences (chem, bio, and physics) to the 30 level.

In order of interestingness (most to least), it went physics, chem, bio. As to my grades (highest to lowest), it went bio, chem, physics. Weird, eh?

And yeah, like The One. Each "you" is a result of the different "decisions" made in your history, some may be near exactly the same, some may be...well, you could be a tranny crack wh*re.

And without the "kill one, and all of you become stronger, untile there is....ONE!"

Wait a second... we're assuming that the human body is capable of being frozen to near absolute zero. We're 70% water, right? So when water freezes, it expands. So wouldn't our bodies explode if we froze them to that temperature? :shock:

I try not to think about it too much. For the "dominant lifeform" we're pretty darn fragile. It's all about the here and now. That explains why I'm so chilled out all the time. The future can't be comprehended, because no mibd among us is adequate to understand the consequences of possessing such knowledge.

And I've just noticed your sig, TNO. I operate on the theory that I am a male, and have human parents, and am the son of those parents. The Earth revolves around the Son.

I'm a Chemistry major at University, 18 years of age in my second year of study.

*brainwave*

So you could survive in an alternate timeline, assuming it had similar properties to a multiple Universe, *oxymoron alert* because you still existed there, and had parents there, even if it wasn't the you you, but that universes you?

*rubs temples*

DOUBLE EDIT: Better get that "Tranny crack-whore" tattoo removed then...

Hoomfie said:
Wait a second... we're assuming that the human body is capable of being frozen to near absolute zero. We're 70% water, right? So when water freezes, it expands. So wouldn't our bodies explode if we froze them to that temperature? :shock:

Well, if the freezing process was fast, then there should be no expansion, the water would never "turn to ice" because from our temperature to 0 Kelvin, everything, every atom, every particle, electron and neutron would simple cease to move; release or absorb energy.

However, we are not yet capable of reaching 0 Kelvin, just near, but I'd presume we are able to get temperatures so close that the water would still be water, just with no transfer of energy.

Okes de dokes. Fair enough
t_n_o said:
Yeah, that's why I went back to high shool after I graduated grade 12 for another semester, I took all my sciences (chem, bio, and physics) to the 30 level.

What do you mean by the "30 level"?

Absolute zero is not attainable so it's not really worth arguing what can happen at it. It's like wondering what it's like at infinity.

Hoomfie said:
...What do you mean by the "30 level"?

Highest level they could be taken. Grade ten was Chemistry 10 (or Biology 10, Physics 10), grade eleven is 20, grade twelve is 30. Took all my sciences to the highest level I could in High School, most people only took one, or maybe two depending on the profession they wanted. Or, the "stupid" kids would take a science 10, 20, and 30 that was a laughable excuse that covering all three very briefly.

Doing that I had to go back for another semester because only being able to have four classes per term, at two terms a year, there just wasn't enough. Not between the ones you have to take, your Social, English, and Math (on either a Pure (harder) or...I don't even remember what the dumb kids math was called). Then there's Welding, Calculus, some others, and having a spare (no class) is always great for doing homework that's needed, or for a quick puff

DocMoc, no absolute zero may not be attainable, but very near to it can be. You may age, say, a minute in a thousand years (complete guess), but certainly not able to produce synaptic signals. Just enough to have your tissue "age" on a minuscule scale, as the movement (energy transfer) would still be very, very slow.

In twelve hours that's all the discussion there's been? Pfft, where's Maca? Paradox?

Yeah, I would have been sooner, but having Doc shoot us all down like that, I don't know, it kind of took away some of my self-confidence.

Way to go, Doc.

Right, what are we on now, long term preservation?

Ok, well there are different ways of accomplishing this cheater's form of time travel. First there is the idea of cryopreservation. Certain simple organisms already do this as a way of hibernating but the process is lethal to humans due to the formation of ice crystals. Yes, if the freezing and thawing processes could be sped up to be near instantaneous this could be circumvented but at the moment this is impossible when considering large amounts of mass. Human sperm and so on can be frozen because it involves a small amount of solution that can be rapidly frozen.

Another idea is that at some stage computers will become powerful enough to simulate a human brain in which case it may be possible to upload ones consciousness to this machine, I don't know much about this but it would take a lot more than just a straight forward 'copy and paste' procedure to accomplish since, even though analogies seem to indicate otherwise, human brains are extremely different to computers.

Sam

Pfft, ok then how about...let's go back to the expanding universe. It's generally accepted that, yes, the universe is in fact still expanding.

What happens after that? Will it continue expanding, will it reach an equilibrium? Will it begin to contract?

Well, I propose we theorize what happens if it continues expanding, but cannot sustain the expansionary forces. The universe tears. Sure it can maintain it's expansion, but it has to tear itself to allow that to happen. What would those tears be? Presumably, the same as what's "outside" the universe. We may already have tears, but we simply cannot perceive them in any conventional method. To an observer flying trough space, they may "skip" over the tear, and reappear on the other side instantaneously, without ever knowing. Much like if you were to continue in one direction forever, you would simply reappear on the other side.

Could those tears be used to traverse the universe? If we could see them, record data about them, even fly into them, could they be "wormholes"? Jump in one tear and pop out another. Could we control where, even when we would come out? Would it be random?

maca2kx said:
Another idea is that at some stage computers will become powerful enough to simulate a human brain in which case it may be possible to upload ones consciousness to this machine, I don't know much about this but it would take a lot more than just a straight forward 'copy and paste' procedure to accomplish since, even though analogies seem to indicate otherwise, human brains are extremely different to computers.

Sam

Which ties into the origin of life. Somehow. They say teleportation of sentient beings is at present impossible, and unethical. There isn't any way of knowing how the disassembly and reassembly of the atoms would affect your brain. Would you look the same, but be mentally hardwired differently? Would you retain all your memories?

EDIT: TNO, what I want to know, is why isn't the Universe expanding faster than it currently is? There doesn't appear to be any external force restricting its expansion, so it should be expanding a lot faster than the rate calculated by all the astrophysicists, and with all the energy released by the Big Bang driving the expansion, why isn't it?

maca2kx said:

Sam

Ohh, good call. Yeah, that would be interesting. Or even a way to maintain the brain the way it is (think, again, Futurama or Robocop (I forget which one, the one with the big f*cking nasty ass robo that the copper battes)) to have some liquid surround the brain slowing or even stopping it's aging process...or just increase it's regeneration to counteract the aging.

How about transfer of knowledge from one brain to another? Move your consciousness into another waiting brain?

Or cloning, so that you may keep your own brain, so to speak? Something like Aeon Flux, where the cloning process is continuous so that you exist all throughout time, or you're just cloned a thousand years from now to exist then.

Hmm, interesting indeed.

thetank said:
EDIT: TNO, what I want to know, is why isn't the Universe expanding faster than it currently is? There doesn't appear to be any external force restricting its expansion, so it should be expanding a lot faster than the rate calculated by all the astrophysicists, and with all the energy released by the Big Bang driving the expansion, why isn't it?

Gravity, I would presume. That's why the universe would, theoretically, collapse. The universes expansion is slowing already because of gravity, and eventually, theoretically, the force of gravity will overcome the force of expansion until the universe simply stops expanding and finds an equilibrium, or starts to collapse in on itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle