Is it safe here? or How I Caged My Very Own Nicolas

What really boggles my mind about the whole thing was that after the whole "gamers are over, dead, etc..." articles that really caused this thing to blow up, is that instead of trying to deescalate the situation with even just a half-ass apology by maybe writing an article stating something like that while they stand by what they wrote maybe they went too far with the caustic language and tone of the articles, a few of these writers and their friends instead did the exact opposite and doubled down and kept tweeting more provoking things.

Most PR people would tell you that if you aren't going to walk back your statements, at least shut up and keep your head down for a while till things cool down.

Calling people misogynist, then right wing hate mobs, and now even comparing them to isis...what the hell are these people thinking?

Social media seems to turn people into idiots, I don't understand.

As C_nate pretty much said, you'd think that these people in the industry, when involved in controversy would just stay quiet for a while, wait for things to cool off and avoid saying stupid things that would stir the pot, or put fuel on the fire so to speak, but no. They go onto their social media (Twitter or whatever their weapon of choice is) and start saying stupid things or firing shots at other people.

Why do they do it? It looks really immature and totally unprofessional.

C_nate said:
What really boggles my mind about the whole thing was that after the whole "gamers are over, dead, etc..." articles that really caused this thing to blow up, is that instead of trying to deescalate the situation with even just a half-ass apology by maybe writing an article stating something like that while they stand by what they wrote maybe they went too far with the caustic language and tone of the articles, a few of these writers and their friends instead did the exact opposite and doubled down and kept tweeting more provoking things.

Most PR people would tell you that if you aren't going to walk back your statements, at least shut up and keep your head down for a while till things cool down.

Calling people misogynist, then right wing hate mobs, and now even comparing them to isis...what the hell are these people thinking?
Erik Kain just wrote an article sort of on this.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... gamergate/

Yeah, I agree with what he said. These sites are going to have to address this sooner or later. To really end this I think they will have to concede that they either willfully or ignorantly misrepresented gamer as an identity to fit the most narrow definition possible to fit their narrative of how now games are for everyone.

The fundamental flaw in this logic that their thesis was based on of course is that games already were for everyone as evidenced by the amazingly diverse group of gamers who came out against those articles.

On a side note, since I don't do the whole social media thing, this is the first time I'm really getting a good look at people on the far left of the political spectrum and man, some of these people are downright loony.

Longo_2_guns said:
How can you hate Erik Kain? How could anyone?

it mostly stems from the mass Effect 3 stuff, I feel like is being a bit on the bandwagon during that without any real knowledge or equivocation to what happened, at least at first.

After that, he continued to crusade against something that really didn't need one, on an issue that was resolved in a way that benefited the developers more than the fans, but that's another story. It rubbed me the wrong way when he did that, and ever since I keep seeing twinges of that here and there from him, a sort of prideful sense that he thinks these different causes are reflective of what is going on, and it's not just for games.

That all being said, I do the same thing, I can be just as egotistical when I push for causes and agendas, so really, any reasons I give for that disdain for Kain is just personal bias.

So strange to see @GaymerX get attacked on twitter for even hinting that Gamergate raises some good points, enough that they recant their position and apologize. Worse still that people attacking them want the pro-GG volunteers helping GX3 fired/let go. I suppose if you're pro-GG or question journalist ethics, just stay in the closet, you're not welcome in their safe space.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction ... witterfeed

I'm gonna be flat out honest. I had no idea what "Gamergate" was. I had to go to Wikipedia to find out more about it.

Holy. Shit. What. The. F-

The shit storm has... I dunno, become a super duper gigantic shit storm or something?

Man, Wikipedia has become a Turd Tornado in and of itself. I'm not particularly Wiki-savvy to get the direct numbers, but it's been edited a ridiculous number of times, and has gotten further and further from a neutral reporting of events each time.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, Wikipedia is a pretty dodgy "source" too.

I just went to it to get a quick glimpse I suppose of what the hell "Gamergate" was.

For some reason when I think "Gamergate", I think of the World of Warcraft login screen.

991D4CD0776E869DBE08F00D6E76F694E7E3DD67_large.jpg

Commiebot said:
So strange to see @GaymerX get attacked on twitter for even hinting that Gamergate raises some good points, enough that they recant their position and apologize.
FZN5Gia.gif

Commiebot said:
Worse still that people attacking them want the pro-GG volunteers helping GX3 fired/let go. I suppose if you're pro-GG or question journalist ethics, just stay in the closet, you're not welcome in their safe space.
1370803124539.gif

Master_Craig said:
For some reason when I think "Gamergate", I think of the World of Warcraft login screen.

991D4CD0776E869DBE08F00D6E76F694E7E3DD67_large.jpg
jYE2qPM.gif

This is now a RLM thread

Yeah, there is a segment of people on the far left that are almost cult like in their ideology and you are seeing them in full force during this latest cultural battle. (And I've come to the conclusion that the GG debate has devolved into a political battle over pushing agendas since corruption isn't really talked about all that much)

Reminds me a bit of a certain religion that labels defectors and dissenters "Suppressive Persons"

Back in the 90's and 00's video games were under attack from the far right saying violent games were turning us into violent sociopaths and now video games are under attack from the far left saying that violent video games turn us into violent misogynists.

Games survived back then and they survived now because moral panics are always a passing fad and only stick in the most extreme pockets of certain groups. And also because at the end of the day money talks.

The games industry just makes way too much damn money for some hashtag "activists" (and I use that term in the loosest possible sense) to affect any real change. This goes to the pro-GG people (The 7-10 scale is here to stay as is early access for positive coverage.) and anti-GG people (Mario saving the princess, i.e. damsel in distress, is here to stay because it is simply the easiest way to relay motivation to the player, not because the game maker and player are sexist)

I think a lot of this is tied up with the growing success of the indie scene and the continuing influx of these pseudo-intellectual, young, idealist, college age kids who have yet to be (or maybe never will be) beaten down by the realities of the real world.

The indie scene and these kids preach inclusiveness but in reality this only applies if you share their world view. If you are truly inclusive then there should be no fine print attached. Thus, the outside view them as little more than a high school clique which is where the backlash (And the backlash to that backlash, in an infinite loop) comes in.

Following this thing this past month hasn't shown me much aside that twitter is like a more pretentious version of youtube comments full of roving hashtag gangs that are forever offended or outraged at something or another.

When you look at the larger picture, a few game sites running a few articles about gamers means very little. And this is coming from someone who thought those articles were bullshit. I just said, Any rational person knows that sexism and misogyny are no more prevalent in video games than they are in society at large (want to fix it in games? I think you'd have to fix it in real life first.)

The righteous indignation on both sides of this debate is just unreal. Just so much wasted energy. Like shouting at clouds or something.

And yet, I can't look away....

P.S. As much as I love RLM, the gifs were supposed to be NIC CAGE, stop derailing!

I remember a rumor about there being a feminist seminar/camp that journalists can go to....and its very strict. Any word on that.

By the way, the youtube stuff I covered a while back too...why the fuck am I ahead of the curve so much and just now people are catching up.

LinksOcarina said:
By the way, the youtube stuff I covered a while back too...why the fuck am I ahead of the curve so much and just now people are catching up.

Because people like me are super ignorant. :( I only just found out what "Gamergate" was yesterday.

Master_Craig said:
LinksOcarina said:

Because people like me are super ignorant. :( I only just found out what "Gamergate" was yesterday.

I did a news article on youtube back in December....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo