IDEA: Oldschool only board

How about a seperate noob board? It will be a vortex of random posts ranging from arguments over personal taste and asking for info that can be easily found with google.

it would be like the "barrens chat" of the forum.

Lentium said:
How about a seperate noob board? It will be a vortex of random posts ranging from arguments over personal taste and asking for info that can be easily found with google.

Don't even joke about that.

Lentium said:

Wouldn't be a barrens chat without Chuck Norris jokes. Sometimes when I flew over the barrens I would just type in "Chuck Norris" and one guy would always reply "You're an asshole..." then it would begin.

TheNesMan said:
Lentium said:

Wouldn't be a barrens chat without Chuck Norris jokes. Sometimes when I flew over the barrens I would just type in "Chuck Norris" and one guy would always reply "You're an asshole..." then it would begin.
Are you on sentinels, because that is eerily similar to every time I went to barrens...well that and the murlocs...

TheNesMan said:

I once incited an argument in the barrens; by asking what was better: Ketchup or Mustard.

True story

Rainemaida said:
But it abuses us forum members who aren't interested in more than maybe flipping through the main site once a week for interesting video game tidbits, because we've quit playing. That and maybe a contest. I think there should be a certain level of Old-School that automatically gets admitted, and newer members with high GR Scores are also admitted. It's the VIP forum.

That's ridiculous, don't act like you should be entitled to benefits just because you've known about this website longer. Sure there's always been a certain reverence of veterans here but that shouldn't translate into tangible benefits for the sole reason you happen to be old enough to have been at GR for six or seven years, if you've been at the site for seven years just posting at the boards it just means you've spent longer contributing nothing to the site and however much to the boards. Contrast that with people who have been here for a couple of years posting but have also written reviews, blogs and FAQs and you get more of a contribution across the site. I'm reminded of Chris Rock and patriotism.

Lentium said:

Any board designed for the sole use of a particular demographic would end in its own brand of spam.

Sam

I find it amazingly laughable that there are a group of people on these forums who think that the GM's namely the ones who have donated their blood and sweat to this website for well over the last 10 years to make it what it is today (namely Duke) would cozy up to the idea of rewarding people who admittedly DON'T care about the actual website.

THAT makes me a sad panda.

(I still only go to GR when I need cheats.)

When are you considered old boy?

I know of what I've read that many have been on the site using it, but never registered on the forums.

Myself have used GR a lot back in the days when I had a N64 to get cheats.

And I knew there was a forum, but I was not strong enough in the english language nor mature enough to try and mingle on a strictly english forum.

Making an elite section of a board that is barely active (compared to other large boards other there) would probably kill the activity level, or drain it to a minimum of exsistence.

You can also been on the boards for 7 years, but all you've done is spam around, and just being annoyance for other users, but still you're considered better than the person that joined a day ago, but has allready made topics that are far more "usefull".

Wow, thanks for being an jerk Sam when I simply stated my opinion towards (let's take a look at that topic title..."IDEA: Oldschool only board") the current subject at hand. I also stated my opinion that those of us that have been here for (let's have a look at those GR medals everyone's excited to get!) an extended period of time, should reap some benefits. Giving "Old Skoolers" and "Old Timers" certain benefits over the others does not seem unfair, because apparently it seems that you actually CAN rank someone by their longevity, as our medals show. I also stated, at the end of my post, and I quoteth,

Rainemaida said:
But it abuses us forum members who aren't interested in more than maybe flipping through the main site once a week for interesting video game tidbits, because we've quit playing. That and maybe a contest. I think there should be a certain level of Old-School that automatically gets admitted, and newer members with high GR Scores are also admitted. It's the VIP forum.

Never once did I put down a GR member for recently joining the boards. I said that those that can also contribute to the rest of the site as a whole, regardless of their forum activity, whether it be via blogs, reviews, etc, they should also reap the benefits, thus I said It's almost like a VIP forum. Those that have only recently joined, are new to the site, and know little about GR, could be excluded. And to the lurkers of the world, I assure you, nothing in this suggested forum will be too exciting.

I take offense that you would attack me for being the elitist here. All I did was suggest that all contributors to GR should be able to come together as one, in their own forum. I do not entirely back this idea, I don't think that the one thing GR needs is an extra forum, I'm just throwing my two cents into this debate of an extra board.

maca, so you're saying those of us who do not blog, or write reviews should get the shaft? Now that's the ridiculous idea. I know GR is trying to encourage people to contribute to the website, but not everyone wants to or enjoys writing. Some of us just want to read news, read reviews, grab some codes or post on the message board. By posting on these message boards we are all contributing to the GR community, even if we don't write reviews, and if that isn't reason enough for special privileged based on how long you've been contributing to this community then nothing should be.

Oh, and your attitude was uncalled for.

However, for the record I do not support this idea, but not because of some stupid elitist reason like maca's, but because I agree with what Tylzen said above; the GR forums are not busy enough to have us further dividing the forums. If we have a forum specifically for older users, then we'll all move our discussions into that board and the Misc board will be just plain dull.

Alright I was a little harsh with my post so I'll apologise for that (MC, you're hardly one to comment on attitude) but I stand by my point. Posters are valued but so are reviewers and FAQers and so on. Length of visiting GR is one factor in a multitude which make a poster good. There are newer posters who are better than some older posters, should they be penalised if they don't contribute to reviews etc and haven't been here long? That said I don't think a VIP forum should be used anyway, it'd be different if GR was busy (but then if GR was busy I doubt it'd be as good as it is) but as it stands it would just thin out the misc board and the VIP board would slowly become the board of choice, new members would see little reason to stick around in misc and the community would probably fizzle out. Any rewards should be on the site itself.

Sam

Okay, thanks Sam, I agree. I think that it isn't the greatest idea, and it would kinda kill the boards, because they certainly aren't large enough.

A VIP board would become too tedious to run, and frankly is excluding everyone else who may or may not believe they belong to the board.

In other words, excluding others just based on how long they have been here or how much they have contributed is silly.

I don't understand why these people who want a more "exclusive" place don't frequent the live chat. It is mostly regulars and old school GR members. We have been a tight knit group for years and honestly, don't get a lot of walk ins.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133