Crazy Washington Weather

NickKmet

Regular
So for those of you that don't know, I'm from Washington, which took an absolute beating from a massive snow storm this past week. While Eastern Washington, where I'm currently at school, has seen less than a foot of snow (and things are operating pretty much as normal, at least until it starts warming up and we get inches of ice on the road), Western Washington has been hammered, and shit isn't good.

While it's always fun to laugh at inept Seattle drivers crashing their cars after a few inches of snow, what you don't often hear about is what happens a bit further south, about 60 miles or so away where my parents live, in Olympia (well actually Tumwater, but Olympia is the closest recognizable city). 2 Days ago my mom sent me a picture of the snow. Here it is:

100MEDIA36IMAG0122.jpg

That's about 16 inches of snow (that's what it was yesterday morning when my dad measured). The snow is usually worse in the south because Seattle and the Northern part of Washington is shielded party by the Olympic mountain range, and just the way weather patters work on the coast there. In the southern part of the state, where my parents live, they tend to get a bit more precipitation.

My parents lost power at 2:00 PM yesterday and still don't have it back, and are not expecting it back for several days. When they went out to Taco Time the other night for dinner, they got their food, and power promptly went out there. About one third of the residents in tumwater are without power (about 5,000), close to 30,000 have no power in the greater Olympia area, and almost 300,000 don't have power in Western Washington.

This morning, my parents went down to city hall, so my dad could meet with emergency services to declare a state of emergency (he's the mayor of Tumwater). My mom went with him so she could warm up as it is very cold at our house. While there, they got a phone call from one of our neighbors letting them know that one of the large walnut trees in our yard had fallen, barely missing the house. The second is not doing so well either, I guess. The first tree fell thanks to the freezing rain they got last night. I'll have pictures of that once my parents get home today (won't be for a good number of hours).

Anyway, things are pretty bad. Just felt like letting you all know, since most people assume that since we can't handle the snow here (and really, most people can't), that reports have been over-blowing how bad it is. While some of you from the Midwest or Alaska might scoff at 16 inches of snow, know that all it takes to cancel school in western Washington is 2-3 inches. When they get 16 inches in 36 hours, things are bad, simply because it's unusual and the infrastructure is not set up to handle it.

Yup.

Yikes. Sounds like the ice storms we had here a few years back. Wiped out several homes, crushed cars and trees wrecked everything; worst storm since the major summer storm that did the same a few months earlier.

Good luck, get some generators, and ride it out.

(Taco Time?!)

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Yikes. Sounds like the ice storms we had here a few years back. Wiped out several homes, crushed cars and trees wrecked everything; worst storm since the major summer storm that did the same a few months earlier.

Good luck, get some generators, and ride it out.

(Taco Time?!)

yeah, I guess it was one of the few business that actually had power that they could get to in town at the time.

De-Ting said:
How 'bout that Global Warming?

Haha. Don't even get me started on that. In reality, since that has become a big issue, weather has become more extreme in Western Washington in all parts of the year. We've had more 100 year flooding, snowfall, and heat events than I can remember. Climate change is the name of the game.

Global Warming is how the layperson refers to the problem of climate change. The problem has just as much to do with change on both ends, change in previous experienced weather systems and change in Al Gore's facial hair.

This year has been awesome in Utah. I haven't had to scrape my windows once...and I get up at the crack of down, so...yeah. I'm just waiting for that to come over here.

It's just raining here. Man I'm so glad I live in a place where my weather doesn't try to kill me!

Like you said, here in London Ontario we got 16 inches+ overnight a few weeks ago, and nothing was cancelled the following day. (I have pics will post them when i get home monday)

In places that arent prepared for it, life gets shut down. In places like London, it takes way more than that to cause cancellations.

Aside from that snowstorm its been a very mild winter though. Only one other little snowstorm and thats all we've seen.

A hard snow storm hit here on boxing day and there's still power out from some places. Now it's snowing pretty hard again, hopefully it doesn't cause as much destruction to the electric grid as the last one.

I really hate to clean the driveway out of snow 3 times a day. :?

Haha sounds like UK. As soon as we get over an inch of snow were fucked.

Hope it stops snowing soon. Mother nature is a cunt.

It's been terrible here. Dumped snow for a week and now it's -20F or lower for the last ten days.

Yes, lets avoid the global warming discussion, as none of us are qualified. You want bat shit insane weather try the midwest though. Floods, Tornadoes, lightning storms, blizzards, fires, everything but tidal waves.

<--B.S. in Biology with the majority of my senior thesis on Climate Change.

Granted it's been a couple years and it's not what I do for a living. Not to mention, discussing politics/science isn't even remotely why I come to GR.

used44 said:
It's been terrible here. Dumped snow for a week and now it's -20F or lower for the last ten days.

-20 fahrenheit???? :shock: :shock: :shock: daaaaamn, and I thought -20 celcius was freezing.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Yes, lets avoid the global warming discussion, as none of us are qualified. You want bat s*** insane weather try the midwest though. Floods, Tornadoes, lightning storms, blizzards, fires, everything but tidal waves.

Well this is true living with iowa we get about everything but probably not many fires where i live but it flooded like a bitch last summer.

In PA we complain about 6 in or more of snow. If it's 10F or lower, most schools have a delay. I dislike the snow whenever I'm working and have to shovel it. Other than that reason, bring on the snow!

Well... At least they don't need the power for their fridge or anything.

I'm an Australia, so obviously i never really have to deal with snow, but i'm betting a couple of inches of it wouldn't be too bad. I could still drive around in my RWD car, at least.

But snow that thick would be almost impossible to get around in and anything not built strong enough to take the weight would fail.

Hence why if i ever moved to or visited the US longterm, it would be nearer to the west coast. Arizona or Nevada or something.

madster111 said:
Well... At least they don't need the power for their fridge or anything.

I'm an Australia, so obviously i never really have to deal with snow, but i'm betting a couple of inches of it wouldn't be too bad. I could still drive around in my RWD car, at least.

But snow that thick would be almost impossible to get around in and anything not built strong enough to take the weight would fail.

Hence why if i ever moved to or visited the US longterm, it would be nearer to the west coast. Arizona or Nevada or something.

umm, if you're talking about Washington, Madster, Washington is on the west coast. Like, on the coast. You know, the Pacific Ocean. Only weird people from the east coast drop the D.C. when they're talking about Washington D.C.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133