Atheism vs Christianity

i'll believe in christianity if it means i get to rape altar boys too, or if i get to be a drunk irish catholic preist, or dare i dream, both at once. praise allah!!!! oh wait, wrong god.

F*** the world's religions, but you can't deny there's a certain spirituality within man. And if you can't identify with that you're probably a very boring person.

I also don't get motivated into making these long-winded arguments because I think the driving force behind "spirituality" is something beyond thought and reason.

Unless some of you are joking (I assume most are) there is no point in debating this topic since all your posts are full of ignorance.

TheZoomZoomKid said:
Plain logic tells us that there is no god. I trust logic, not some crap people made up because they weren't advanced enough to know how the world worked.

Perfect example.

If there is no God then please explain to me how the Universe began. Or how it's possible for something to never begin and always be here.

The idea here is to have a little thing called faith. Since nothing can be proven regarding the beginning, anything is possible and we choose to believe in what we feel is right. But for some reason, people just can't accept that. Stubborn much?

It seems to me people are simply fighting over this now. That's like telling someone a spoon is now a fork. You can say it all you want but in then end I know it's a spoon and you can't get me to think otherwise.

Arguing about the existance of god is, I think, rather stupid.
God and religion are about faith, so it all boils down to "Do you have faith?" "Can you feel that there is a God?" and no one can answer those questions for you.

Also, science CAN'T explain everything, we learn through perception, our perception is not perfect. Science doesn't try to formulate absolute truths, every scientist knows they can't (except mathematicians, haha).

telefono said:
Also, science CAN'T explain everything, we learn through perception, our perception is not perfect. Science doesn't try to formulate absolute truths, every scientist knows they can't (except mathematicians, haha).

A lot of science is also about disproving other theories in exchange for new ones, and most of the theories of things that happened in Biblical (meaning the Old and New Testament) have been disproved.

If you wanna read a really funny article questioning faith read Rene Descartes' "Meditations on Modern Philosophy." The beginning is pretty cool, he comes up with the statement "I think therefore I am" but after that he kinda spirals down while trying to prove there is a God.

In science one can't say that a theory is "true". You may do a million different experiments, and if they all your results agree with what you predicted with your theory, you may say theory is an excellent one but you can't say that it is the ultimate theory because you never know how the next experiment is going to turn out (Classic example, Newtonian mechanics, everyone thought they were the absolute truth, until they started measuring Mercucry's orbit).

This are basically (very basically) the ideas of Karl Popper.

I just had to clear out a big ass tree that fell in my front lawn.
I had to saw that son of a bitch 4 times just to fit in into the truck, then had to haul it off to the city dump. It was heavy, I did the work alone, and now I'm tired.

You and your religion topics can bite me.

Haydi said:
So personally I think choosing a religion is a bit pointless. If you're like me, you know what to do and what not to do in your life, with or without a defined religion saying anything about it. I get that there could or could not be something we don't know about, but I don't think it would change the things we will do in our small lifes.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

How I feel about religion: Believe in whatever religion/higher power/lack of a higher power that you want. Just don't cram it down people's throats. You can believe that pink ponies hang out in the clouds and control everything in the universe and I wouldn't care as long as you don't try to force me to believe the same thing.

Everyone has their own beliefs and they should be respected to at least some degree.

WickedLiquid said:
If there is no God then please explain to me how the Universe began.

If you insist. The universe is an uncaused quantum event which never truly began. Read Dr. Hawking's work, it makes for fascinating stuff.

WickedLiquid said:
Or how it's possible for something to never begin and always be here.

If you believe in the Abrahamic god, or some variant thereof, then you already accept that it is possible for something to be eternal and uncaused. In that sense, the Universe has a huge advantage over your god. We know the Universe exists because...here it is. We don't know your god exists.

WickedLiquid said:
Since nothing can be proven regarding the beginning, anything is possible and we choose to believe in what we feel is right.

Considering the current state of quantum physics (again, read up on Hawking's work when you have the time), your claim that we can't prove anything regarding the beginning is a rather shocking show of ignorance. We have a pretty detailed history of the Universe, well supported by the evidence, going all the way back to less than a second after the big bang. And while our knowledge hasn't yet pushed all the way to the beginning, your certainty that we won't ever make it there is unjustified.

WickedLiquid said:
But for some reason, people just can't accept that. Stubborn much?

You tell me. Are you going to be stubborn now? Or are you going to consider this apparently new information I just gave you?

Man Chris, you are all down with that transcendental Ralph Waldo Emerson jive ain't ya?

Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle