2011 Oscars

It won't win because it doesn't really deserve to win that much. Save for best special effects. And some of the acting was pretty good. But besides that, not Oscar worthy.

Why not? Why won't the most entertaining movie of the year win best picture? Why must it always go to a drama? The Oscars are a sham.

Because it's an action movie trying to masquerade itself as a deep drama. Because entertainment is far, far more subjective criteria to base best movie of the year off of, as it could be argued that since Get Him to the Greek was entertaining it is the best movie of the year. And because in order for it to be the most entertaining movie of the year, it would have to have been called Tron: Legacy.

jaden smith, lol.

i think the list is perfect, i would like to see leo up for best actor for either shutter island or inception, but let's face it, it's the same old Leo from all his other movies, there was nothing unique in either performance. i just love leo so i'm disappointed not to see him for that reason :)

would have also liked to see nolan up for best director, but at the same time he honestly didn't deserve that either, he'll get his oscar eventually. same as leo, just wanna see nolan get his props

very happy to see renner up for the town, i doubt he wins, but he should, he was amazing in that role.

if toy story 3 wins for best picture i'll vomit. it has to be the most overrated movie of all time. i am a HUGE pixar fanboy, and i fell asleep half way through toy story 3 and haven't bothered to finish it. a huge let down, boring, safe, and watered down.

hoping the king's speech takes best picture, aronofsky for best director, colin firth for actor, portman actress, renner supporting, hailee steinfeld..

that's my hopeful list.

REALLY hope how to train your dragon wins animated movie.. dreamworks deserves it for this one... they have to be tired of giving pixar best animated just because it's pixar. it's like they don't even look, its' just automatically handed to pixar. i'd even be happy to see the illusionist beat toy story 3. GREAT movie.

edit: i really don't understand why inception is loved so much.. oh wait i do this is a video game forum.

i loved it too, one of the best of the year, but it simply does not deserve best picture.

i'd be happy to see 127 hours, black swan, the king's speech and maybe even the fighter, winters bone and true grit over it.

edit #2 - how to train your dragon better win best original score, though i'd be happy to see inception win it too.

Longo_2_guns said:
Because it's an action movie trying to masquerade itself as a deep drama. Because entertainment is far, far more subjective criteria to base best movie of the year off of, as it could be argued that since Get Him to the Greek was entertaining it is the best movie of the year. And because in order for it to be the most entertaining movie of the year, it would have to have been called Tron: Legacy.

Wait, are you an Inception hater or a Tron Legacy fanboy?

True Grit did not deserve that many nominations. It was such an underwhelming movie. Same with The Kids Are All Right.

The Social Network deserves best movie and Jesse Eisenberg should get best Actor, but best actor will probably go to Colin Firth, potentially Jeff Bridges, but I doubt the Academy will give an award to Bridges twice in a row, when Firth has never won it.

Inception will win best Art Direction and Best Original Screenplay, but it should've at least gotten a best director nomination (even though that category is easily David Fincher's).

Wes said:
Longo_2_guns said:

Wait, are you an Inception hater or a Tron Legacy fanboy?

i don't think he's in any way an inception hater... it's just realistic. inception was in no way the best movie of the year, the idea is just orgasmic to nerds and geeks (no hate, i'm a huge geek), therefore they all assume it should be the best.

I'm glad Inception is nominated for best picture but I also don't think it should win. Confused? It harkens back to a time when it didn't have to be a pretentious indie film or a period British drama to be nominated. It's reminiscent of when Indiana Jones and Jaws were Oscar nominated films. It almost makes up for the lack of the Bourne Ultimatum being nominated for best picture. The only thing is, unlike the Bourne Ultimatum, which was a smart action flick it's a little like the Matrix. Take some basic dream psych 101, spin it upside down and present it as a smart action flick.

Now Nolan should have been nominated for best director due to...Well, the amount of talent and vision that went into Inception. Should he have won? No idea.

incognito said:
The Social Network deserves best movie and Jesse Eisenberg should get best Actor

Why? It's not like he carried that movie. The supporting cast did more for the movie than he did.

speaking of the Matrix, did you hear Neo spoke to the brothers over Christmas and signed on for 2 more Matrix movies? 3D has already been mentioned.
I'm ready#2@3
&*<1☻other random
characters###8979
this looks nothing like it
89*&98762, I apologize

Chris_Crime said:
incognito said:
The Social Network deserves best movie and Jesse Eisenberg should get best Actor

Why? It's not like he carried that movie. The supporting cast did more for the movie than he did.

He was slightly different from playing Jesse Eisenberg like he has in almost every movie he's come out in. Certainly not enough to warrant him winning the best actor award.

I'm excited to see Trent Reznor take the stage when he wins for the Social Network score!

I kind of have James Franco has a dark horse for the best actor award. I wouldn't mind seeing him win.

Chris_Crime said:
incognito said:

His character was so different from typical oscar nominees. Seriously, how many times have characters like Colin Firth's been nominated for Best Actor? Jeff Bridges character won the 1969 oscar when John Wayne portrayed Rooster. Eisenberg's was so flawless and meticulous and on character for the entire movie. He was exciting to watch and provide the whole mood for the movie.

Sure the supporting cast was phenomenal, but I think Eisenberg did a fantastic job as the center of it all.

Lethean said:
Chris_Crime said:
incognito said:

He was slightly different from playing Jesse Eisenberg like he has in almost every movie he's come out in. Certainly not enough to warrant him winning the best actor award.

I'm excited to see Trent Reznor take the stage to win for the Social Network score!

How was he similar to the typical nice guys he plays in Zombieland or Adventureland? His character was completely different from those.

Incognito, the original True Grit wasn't nearly as closely related to the book as the more modern one. And it isn't the character type that's nominated it's the actor and their ability to completely morph into that role. It doesn't have to be a unique character, it has to be a well acted one. Saying his character was so different from typical nominees is like saying Saw 99 should be nominated because it's so different from other nominees. While Eisenberg did a good job, it wasn't Oscar caliber. It's not like we're talking Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood here. It's Jesse Eisenberg. He's about two steps above Michael Cera for the "I play the same guy in every movie" award.

Saw your edit: Yes, his character was but he wasn't. I just didn't see a vast amount of range from him. More range, yes. He's a decent enough actor, but I don't think he knocked it out of the park with the Social Network.

incognito said:
He was exciting to watch and provide the whole mood for the movie.

can't argue with that.

I don't think Jeff Bridges should be up there this year. Loved him in True Grit, but, come on, best actor? I could hardly understand a damn thing he said!
"hurr, that's part of the charm."
-______- "okay"

Although it kills me to say it I know for a fact Inception won't win best picture, I'm not saying that cause it doesn't deserve it or anything like that I just don't see the Academy giving a movie like Inception the award for best picture. I would love for inception to win but (it kills me to say this too) I am keeping my fingers crossed for social network to win that movie blew my mind. Inception blew my mind too but I ended up enjoying TSN more than inception and I just don't know why. I'm also hoping for Jesse Eisenberg for best actor cause he did an amazing job but most likely that award is going home with Colin Firth (not that he shouldn't get it I heard Kings Speech is a very good movie). At least all of the nominations are deserving in some way unlike the Golden Globes (I will punch the future child of my older brother because he said that I shouldn't hate on the fact that the Tourist was nominated... Seriously? WTF?). And to the comment about Tron: Legacy, is it wrong for me to think that Tron: Legacy was amazing? Yes I never saw the first one and I was born in the early 90s (if that would matter in my opinion) but I really enjoyed it but whenever I say that people look at me as if I'm stupid because of the movie's weak plot (which it does have)... Sorry about the off topic Tron tangent just saw a couple of people mention it and wanted to pitch in

Lethean said:
I'm excited to see Trent Reznor take the stage when he wins for the Social Network score!

I kind of have James Franco has a dark horse for the best actor award. I wouldn't mind seeing him win.

This.

As for the Inception debate, I too would like to see it win BP but I know it probably won't. Yes, Return of the King won best picture back in 2003 but many see it as awarding the work put into the entire trilogy since it was all filmed at once.

The academy doesn't award the most entertaining movie of the year, it awards the most moving film of the year. Last year The Hurt Locker beat out Avatar because it felt the most disturbingly real. The fact that Avatar became the highest grossing film or the most entertaining of 2009 doesn't matter to the academy.

So when a movie like Inception gets nominated, it's like a joke because these movies never win (with the exception of ROTK like I explained). It's like saying "You're not gonna win, but here's a that-a-boy for ya!"

Lethean said:
I'm glad Inception is nominated for best picture but I also don't think it should win. Confused? It harkens back to a time when it didn't have to be a pretentious indie film or a period British drama to be nominated. It's reminiscent of when Indiana Jones and Jaws were Oscar nominated films. It almost makes up for the lack of the Bourne Ultimatum being nominated for best picture. The only thing is, unlike the Bourne Ultimatum, which was a smart action flick it's a little like the Matrix. Take some basic dream psych 101, spin it upside down and present it as a smart action flick.

Now Nolan should have been nominated for best director due to...Well, the amount of talent and vision that went into Inception. Should he have won? No idea.

completely agree with all of it, mostly

except the fact that i think people THINK a movie has to be a pretentious indie flick to win, when it clearly doesn't.

2009 - The Hurt Locker
2008 - Slumdog Millionaire
2007 - No Country For Old Men
2006 - The Departed
2005 - Crash
2004 - Million Dollar Baby
2003 - LOTR
2002 - Chicago
2001 - A Beautiful Mind
2000 - Gladiator

In The last 10 years, the only possibly pretentious indie flick that won was Slumdog Millionaire.

It's not as bad as you think people!

derp, a good list of movies I might say

Yeah I should have clarified. I really could have phrased it better., I meant that usually a big budget action film gets passed over, Back in the 70s and 80s you had Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws nominated for best picture. Anything like that kind of died down until just recently with Inception being nominated and Avatar. That's more-so what I meant. Definitely don't need to be a pretentious indie film to win. Saving Private Ryan is a perfect example.

Oh wait....It lost to Shakespeare in Love. GG Academy! Oops!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaminglovex