You (might) have heard it here first

Funny you posted this. I logged in today just to ask if people were excited for this game. The "Massive Co-Op Trailer" is awesome. I can't wait for this game and the show. My body is ready.

Longo_2_guns said:
Cool, cool...

What's that?

It's a third person shooter....with MMO elements. I won't say it's an MMO because, eh.
Made by Trion, and it's the videogame counterpart to SyFy's new show, Defiance.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... eview-ps3/

Considering the other betas have taken place on the weekend, it's more likely that this one will take place from the 15th, to the 18th. But I also took into consideration that this is the first (and probably only) console beta, so it may be a bit longer and extend on to the 24th, which is when Raptr will stop giving out the reward.

Probably my most anticipated game of the year, and I know it'll either be great, or it'll suck.
This is pretty much the only console gameplay you can find. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFTRgWhLcVs

Fast forward to like 42 mins in I think, to see one of the co-op instances, played all the way through.

I'm still excited for the game but after reading further into it and MS railroading the multiplayer I'm starting to look more critically at the X360 version. I'm worried the multiplayer might die if there's not enough people playing without cross platforming for xbox. Also, how does a separated xbox360 version affect the outcome of the show?

How many people play at once? Is it true MMO like if I go to a hub area and see hundreds of people IE Orgrimmar in WoW or is it all instanced? Seems like there isn't a whole lot of info out.

Does anybody think the game is being overhyped/marketed?

drathbone said:
I'm still excited for the game but after reading further into it and MS railroading the multiplayer I'm starting to look more critically at the X360 version. I'm worried the multiplayer might die if there's not enough people playing without cross platforming for xbox. Also, how does a separated xbox360 version affect the outcome of the show?

How many people play at once? Is it true MMO like if I go to a hub area and see hundreds of people IE Orgrimmar in WoW or is it all instanced? Seems like there isn't a whole lot of info out.

Does anybody think the game is being overhyped/marketed?

The game isn't cross platform at all. They could have done it with PS3 and PC, or 360 and PC, as this has all been done before, but maybe they didn't have time to fine tune everything. The game seems like it's being rushed out the gate, to stay on course with the two week gap between the story of the game, and the story of the show. All versions of the game are identical, in terms of gameplay, so any stats collected or events that may influence the show will be probably be taken from the data of all 3 platforms.

Up to a 1000 players per server, at least on consoles. I don't know if it's different for PC. 4 player co-op specific missions are instanced, and certain missions that progress the story are, as well. Almost everything else is open world, save for the instanced PvP, which is an alternative to the open-world Shadow War mode. There are also solo missions, which kick you out of whatever group you were in, and there seems to be a lot of backlash about that on the forums. The general consensus, is that this is a shooter at heart, with MMO elements, so no one expected that whole "YOU HAVE TO DO THIS ALONE" thing that some MMOs seem to be employing for some missions/quests. Group members also don't show up during cutscenes, and your characters don't talk...ever.

You pretty much have to search every outlet possible to find all the info for the game, which is what I did. I'm not too fond of spending $60 on a game, but from what I've seen/read, it's at the very least, conceptually worth it.

The beta was revealed....but the announcement has been pushed back, if that makes sense.
Raptr also extended the timer.

http://defiance-central.com/beta-announ ... k-in-tour/
According the press release, the beta starts on March 21st! However, while it was not clarified if it would include consoles, it's pretty safe to say it will, as the game launches on April 2nd. Gear up!

EDIT: There's seems to be some confusion here. Many sites are now offering beta key giveaways. Amazon has listed the beta as March 15th-18th, which would follow the pattern of the previous betas, of starting on the weekend.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html ... 1000703623

Saw this game/show randomly one day and am very intrigued by it. Seems like a huge uphill battle it has going for it but I hope it works out cause I really like the idea of it.

The majority of the PC players on the beta forums have stated that it, will probably be a big hit on consoles, as it seems pretty standard for a PC MMO.

If anyone is in need of a PC beta key, I'm sure I could snag you one. The console beta is going to be open to a much smaller number of players, so don't cross your fingers for a ps3 key. Xbox players....well, the beta is about 35 hours long I think, so yeah....

Thanks Amazon Prime for a cheap 360 slim HDD and Defiance pre-order. Gonna get some beer and play all night! Anyone else getting 360?

danielrbischoff said:
Holy shit this game is coming out soon! How's that beta Jx4?

Haven't played much, due to an error that absolutely no one from Trion could help me with. I ended up fixing it myself yesterday. It starts off really poorly. The tutorial sucks, it teaches you the basics, but it's just really boring and doesn't flow well. Luckily (and unfortunately) this build was submitted months ago, and I've seen the new tutorial on the livestream and it's much better.
This whole beta is kind of a double edged sword for Trion, because it's a pretty incomplete build, but beta means demo on consoles, so people are expecting something. I've played the alpha a little, and seen gameplay of a near final build, and it literally looks like a years worth of improvements. Anyways, back to the beta itself. The shooter mechanics work well, with some tweaking in the sensitivity areas, but it will probably feel a little stiff at first. The aim-assist is a little heavy, but you'll notice less and less the more you play. There's also the annoyingly imprecise grenade throws. The AI isn't terrible, it just isn't all that good. I was in an area with only two other players, and there were just mobs of enemies. If it weren't for their ridiculously accurate aim, we could have plowed through them pretty quickly. The starting guns suck, they aren't fun to use at all, and somewhat hinder the whole experience. After I got an LMG, and an SMG that seems like it was lifted straight from Borderlands, things started to pick up. After awhile, you'll actually have to start strategizing and using your EGO Power at the right time. Surprisingly, I'm enjoying the game while playing solo, but I did group up with a few players who were just starting out to help them with their first few missions. I participated in one of the smaller arkfalls, leaving a story mission because I wanted to know what the hell was going on, lol. There was about 4 or 5 of us, and it seems more fun than the larger arkfalls showcased in most of the videos. We had to defend some giant blue crystal.

My only wish for this game: Battle Music.

Also Ugh, PS Plus players have been able to play since the beta started. The NDA lifts tomorrow.

danielrbischoff said:
wondering how long it'll take me to download and install the beta versus how much I'll actually play it.

6 gigs. Took about an hour and a half maybe, to download. Install was between 30-45 minutes. No patches thus far, but Sony just released a new system update. -_-

So, from playing the beta, it's safe to say the game doesn't hit it's stride until at least 3 hours in, depending on how fast you complete the main missions. I was pretty surprised at how I started to actually care about the story, mostly because of Cooper. The last five missions (aka, the ones most people won't bother to play) are the most exciting part of the beta. It feels like a completely different game. The cutscenes stop being annoying, and end up being worth watching.

Most people will probably be turned off after the first hour or so, but if you can stick with it, I don't think you'll regret it.

Thanks for the updates! I lived thru an entire play through of Duke Nukem Forever and have brink more hours than its worth, I'm sure I'll stick with this one.

How about the actual mmo aspect of the game?

drathbone said:
Thanks for the updates! I lived thru an entire play through of Duke Nukem Forever and have brink more hours than its worth, I'm sure I'll stick with this one.

How about the actual mmo aspect of the game?

Well, I understand why the devs usually just refer to it as an open-world shooter, because it's not...exactly an MMO. At least not from what I played, but it's actually a good thing. When the game is live, you will probably see a lot more players than I did, but I was just fine with being on the same server/shard with 20-30 players, who I'd see periodically. It made the world feel alive, as you'll feel that you are there, with these other ark hunters. Most of the content is open world, and you don't need to be in a group to replay the content, or just help others out. I was actually surprised by how some of the missions did feel like instances, but that's just as a result of the game being more of a traditional TPS, than a traditional mmo. The actual dungeons feel like playing Borderlands in 3rd person, especially during the boss fights, and I have no problem with that. The biggest issue with the game right now, are the forced solo missions. It's not fun to be kicked out of a group, while you were doing a group quest, because the final part of it is solo only. Anyways, I think the balance is perfect for the market it's aimed at, but PC players may find it a bit lacking. The skill trees are great, but you are a little too limited at the beginning, with one core ability and one perk. You'll eventually have 6 perks slots, and 6 loadouts I think. These can be changed at any time during gameplay. For loadouts, you simply press start, then hit triangle. Everyone can fill any role, and working as a team pays off on the tougher missions when going rambo isn't an option. All of the gameplay systems play off of each other very well, and there a lot of possibilities and situations that pop up, and being able to adapt to them very quickly is a welcome advantage. I had a pyro grenade equipped, with a rare magnum that's damage is 1050, but it's not exactly who hit some of the more agile enemies (aka the annoying ass Raiders), so my friend tosses a bio grenade, which sticks them to the ground and makes them move slower. That allowed me to take out quite a few enemies in a few seconds. After playing for a bit and learning how everything works, these decisions come naturally, as it should in any good co-op game. I'm curious as how they'll handle the endgame, as this is a living, breathing series. And the pursuits "achievements" are all listed, showing rewards for mission based on episodes from the show, even being categorized as "Season One", so I don't think there will necessarily be an end game here. It'll be more along the lines of Mass Effect DLC, except there will be new main missions every time an episode premieres, along with game specific content.

With all that said...I'm not a fan of the arkfalls, at all. Repetition is dialed to 20. You literally stand in an area circle strafing and shooting bugs for 20-30 minutes. The progressive arkfalls are more interesting, as there are many of them happening at once, culminating with everyone ending up in one location. The game handled 30 players and at least 20 enemies *very* well. Now that I think about it, there was barely any lag, ever.

Ended the beta with an ego rating of 254, and I think the level cap is 5000. So think about it this way, I'm basically level 2, and a half, and the level is 50. I played through all the available missions, and did quite a few side missions. Seems like there's gonna be a lot of content...

CloacalKiss said:
Stephen has been loving this. Can't wait to try it myself. Too late on the beta key giveaway :(

Which platform? I had keys for all 3 platforms, sorry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod