Vote For Your Favorite Final Fantasy game

What is your favorite Final Fantasy game?

• Final Fantasy V

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy VII

• Final Fantasy Tactics

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Final Fantasy VIII

• Final Fantasy IX

• Final Fantasy X

• Final Fantasy XII

• Final Fantasy XIV

• Other

• Total voters

Jonathan_Leack

Former Executive Editor
The rules for this week are:
  • Vote for your favorite Final Fantasy game.
  • Share why you chose that game in the comments below.
My answer: Final Fantasy Tactics. I've beaten it more times than any other game in the series, and can play it today (many years later) and still enjoy myself.

Note that due to poll limitations only the most well-received games in the franchise have been included. If your favorite isn't on the list, choose 'Other'.

What is your favorite Final Fantasy game?

I'll go with Final Fantasy VI, although it's a tight call with FF Tactics on the list. I probably invested more time into FF Tactics over the years, but FFVI remains my favorite due to the cast of characters, the time in my life when I first played it (I was filled with such wonder), and the fact that Kefka ended the world. What other villain actually succeeds in ending the world (as they knew it)?

Final Fantasy IV. It was where the series found its legs, so to speak. It no longer just rehashed ideas done better by games like Wizardry, Ultima and Stonekeep and instead laid out a unique direction that the series would follow. Being the first SNES Final Fantasy it was also the first one where Uematsu was largely unconstrained by the limits of 8-bit mono track play and it has, in my opinion, the best rendition of Prelude to Light in the series. Its characters are much more alive than previous games and the basic narrative thread driving the game is one of the tightest Square ever wrote without getting overwrought, surrealistic or pretentious. It worked at every juncture. It felt massive without feeling empty, it was emotional without being hamfisted. It always felt like the game had a fresh item to pull out of its bag of tricks right to the end.

Final Fantasy VII

It was the first I ever played, and wow did the story blow me away. It's the reason I'm into JRPGs today.
I was probably 12 when I first played it with my friend on a sleepover, and we just played it all day then into the early hours of the morning. We still talk about that legendary night now and again.
I remember being stuck on the Dyne fight for about ages too (didn't exactly level my characters much at that age! I more wanted to see if Cloud and Aeris were going to be boyfriend and girlfriend haha!)

I've played through it again recently and the story is better than most, if not all, other things I've played.
I hope they nail the remake when it comes out.

I think I'm the only one in the world who likes Final Fantasy VIII. Sure, it has a weird story, and the gameplay is somewhat flawed, but it has a goofy sci-fi aspect that puts it one step above all the other games for me.
Plus, it really felt like one of the few games in the series that really tried to do something drastically different, other than Tactics.

That said, I haven't played any of the titles since FFXII, so I don't know how those are.

Final Fantasy IV! It was really my first entry into JRPG's. I had watched a friend play the original FF on NES and messed around with it myself, but it never hooked me. Years later at a friend's birthday party, they had rented a few SNES games, FFIV among them. I sat and played that game for HOURS while everyone else was off doing other things. I was so invested in the story and the characters I just couldn't put it down. That Christmas I received a SNES from my parents, along with FFIV and I think I have played through it more than any other FF game.

I'm probably going to say Final Fantasy VII. It's the first Final Fantasy I ever played (at nine years old) and everything about it completely blew me away. Being made by Squaresoft (at the time), the same people who made Secret of Mana (one of my all time favourite games) also blew me away. Those two games are the golden era of JRPGs, in my opinion.

Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XV (in no particular order) would be my runner ups.

Final Fantasy X is the first Final Fantasy game that I ever finished from beginning to end and was one of our first ever games for PS2. Admittingly, I did play it a bit late, playing it when I was sixteen (2004). I also really enjoyed the story as well as the characters and its battle system.

Final Fantasy XV, despite its flaws that become more obvious in the second half of the game (especially chapter thirteen) was for the most part, actually a lot of fun, and I spent so much time playing that game, almost a hundred hours in total. I loved how different this game was compared to previous Final Fantasy titles.

^I'm currently going through this again on my phone, if it helps it's my 2nd place ;)

I think I'm the only one in the world who likes Final Fantasy VIII. Sure, it has a weird story, and the gameplay is somewhat flawed, but it has a goofy sci-fi aspect that puts it one step above all the other games for me.
Plus, it really felt like one of the few games in the series that really tried to do something drastically different, other than Tactics.

That said, I haven't played any of the titles since FFXII, so I don't know how those are.

I do too! But it's just behind IX for me.

FFV grudgingly edges out FFT as my favorite. I love the job system and the flexibility it gave, enjoyed the world and the eventual exploration of three variations of it, and if nothing else, it gave us Gilgamesh. That said FFT easily has a better story and look, but a couple factors keep it from besting FFV.

I don't have personal preferences or favorites. However, I can provide information about popular Final Fantasy games and their significance within the series if that would be helpful to you. Just let me know which specific game or aspect you'd like to learn more about

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle